1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reverse Racism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by downbytheriver, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

an INCREASE? I was jumped by a group of black kids on 3 different occasions, and the last time was almost 20yrs ago. There hasn't been an increase, you're just hearing about it more often now due to Cell phone video's and the internet.

Just like the crime rate isn't worse now, its actually better than 50 years ago, but people think the country is less safe because they hear about things they wouldn't have heard about 50yrs ago.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL . . ***** - look at Chron.com comments!
    LMAO

Rocket River

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

It would be hard to see what "reverse racism" would look like, to me, g1184...

...because we won't ever have a legal system that advocates such a disproportionately adverse racial social hierarchy again.

I hope.

I would have expected otherwise intelligent people to have grasped that by now.

What most white people who track along these lines try to imply in these cases, is that BIGOTRY or PREJUDICE are the same thing as RACISM. In American history, that isn't the case.

Simply put: can black people slur or insult or mock white people racially? Yes.
    Are those insults the same thing as racism? No.

White people who think of some equivalency between behavioral prejudice (name-calling, basically) and racism (codified, institutionalized social practices afforded by writ or abstinence of law) are either misguided or being intentionally obtuse.

Some things are always right. And some things are always wrong. But not everything is the same. And that makes a lingering problem like racial discord hang around longer than it otherwise might...by offering it a legitimacy that it does not merit.

Our racial history has largely been SYSTEMATIC...and as such, once the laws are abrogated...particularly among white people (whom the law was always designed to see as innocent until proven guilty)...the feeling is that the law would dictate the behavior and place everyone on a level playing field, in essence.

And as far as ideals go, that's about what you'd want to see happen.

People aren't always that accommodating and predictable, however. So the problem goes from being systematic to SYSTEMIC...where you see things like people insulting other races of people on the internet...or doing one-off reports on "...these people do it too..."...because more often than not, laws are written in response to human emotion and feeling and perception. And as long as a law exists (particularly one that favors a bias or prejudice), that's about as long as its psychological and societal effects can linger.

Or not. Depends on the individual and the society. Hence, the one-step-forward, two-steps-back fandango we dance as a nation racially.

Check the thread where Cleveland Cavalier GM Danny Ferry "read" some racially offensive scouting report remarks about Luol Deng. Deng's tweeted (God I hate Twitter) response is one for the ages. And it's precisely how anyone slurred by anybody should handle it and respond in our "post-racial America".

Two wrongs will never make a right, in my opinion. Two wrongs won't even balance the books in most cases. I think we just have to make sure that we tally the scorecard correctly.

Bigots and prejudiced people will exist anywhere on the racial color wheel. They aren't harmless. But watch where the laws get placed and enforced, and see who's affected, and you'll find all the "racism" you may ever want to see.

Because we all have to abide by the law.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah and for every racist minority on YouTube there are the neo-nazis on there spreading their hate as well.

Ignorant people do ignorant things.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

This is what Racism looks like . . .. what would the reverse of this be?

Rocket River

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not saying there isn't a disparity in blacks vs. whites in prison for drug offenses, but what is the context of that chart? Does that mean if (for example) 1,000,000 people use drugs, then 130,000 of them are black?

That being the case, that falls along the U.S. population. Roughly 77% white and 13% black.

With respect to drug prisoners, what are the crimes that they are in for?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ That's statistics of what races are drugs, not of RACISM, Rocket Riverp. Drugs aren't choosing the black people, black people choose to be drug "prisoners" (whatever that means... imprisoned for dealing or for using?).
    Could there be someone EXTREMELY LOVING only one (another, not one's own) race? :confused:

For example, white folks who want to talk, walk, act, etc., like black people... :eek:

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you tell me. these two posts of yours which were largely ignored are the first things I see coming from you in the thread you mentioned.

you kind of don't have a clue. using the "reverse racism" phrase and even the "race card" card just shows how out of touch some are.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Racisms is that way the system pursues and punishes drug offenders
    the is IMO evidence that the system not only pursues black offenders more but punishes them more harshly

A white kid with a joint. . . may get a warning
    A black kid with a joint . . . goes to jail

Now . . .one is a statistic and the other is a 'youthful indescretion that does not become an obstacle to his future at all'

that is the insidious nature of the new soft racism

I have not idea what you are talking about

Rocket River

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That shows the disparity between users and dealers in punishment phase. Let democrats enact a user decriminalization for use and watch the chart skew further. I assume you will then call democrats racists, because they reduced whites in prisons for drugs correct?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, actually it doesn't. LOL at you believing drug use can be equal among the races but imprisonment rates are different because all these white people are getting their drugs from black drug dealers.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

[/B]

What is acting black.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So you are saying legalizing drugs will eliminate racism.

As if I needed another reason :cool:

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought I was the only one look at that and laughing

Rocket River

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

When a black person refers to another black person as "acting white", what does that mean?

To answer you question, with simple logic we can defer the usage of the phrase "acting black" implies "NOT acting white", and usage of the phrase "acting white" implies "NOT acting black".

Technically though, according to my LSAT studies, *logically* the opposite of acting white is "NOT acting white", and the opposite of acting black is "NOT acting black" Similar to how the opposite of "hot" is not "cold", rather the opposite of "hot" is "not hot". :cool:

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The fact that people are still oblivious to this guy's "idiotic middle aged very right wing republican" troll schtick is unfortunate.

17. itstheyear3030

While it probably is true that some black people have been prosecuted more severely for drug offenses based solely on their race, the huge disparity is mostly attributable to the fact that the black people that are caught for drug offenses tend to be repeat offenders, users/dealers of more "serious" drugs, or in possession of larger quantities. Basically, the racial disparity is a function of the manner in which drug laws and "three strikes" type laws operate.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

define 'repeat'
    what are you basing that on?
    the same system that gives more passes to non blacks than blacks?

I mean if 'IVAN' has been caught three times but each time received a pass
    until one cops finally busts him . .. he gets a weak sentence as a 1st time offender
    does he qualify as a 'non-repeat' offender?

Rocket River

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're describing half the population; not sure why divorce or single-parenthood becomes a pariah once minorities are involved.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I get all my beliefs/morals/values from YouTube comments.