1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] iPod Classic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DCkid, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The last remaining iPod based on the original line is now gone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-end-of-the-ipod-goodbye-to-the-little-box-that-changed-everything/2014/09/10/983525b2-38f5-11e4-9c9f-ebb47272e40e_story.html

Mine has been acting up the past year. It skips every once in a while and the battery doesn't hold it's charge very long...maybe 5 or 6 hours, which is good enough. I snapped up another one from a local Wal-mart this morning, so I have a replacement when the time comes. They're out of stock almost everywhere else it seems.

Anyway, it fits a good niche for me.
    - Only buy CDs, which I burn to iTunes
    - Don't use a data plan.
    - Have a huge collection of music (> 200GB)

Was hoping they would increase the size of the iPod touch soon, but who knows when that will happen. It's strange that in 2007 I could buy a 160GB iPod, but in 2014 I can only buy a 64GB iPod.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Damn. Glad mine old 160GB classic got sand in it on Vacation this year so I now have a brand new one. I NEED the iPod in the car. I just went to Amazon and they're flying away and the prices are insane.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I still use my 120GB every day and I have for years. I would be lost without it.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I haven't updated my 5th gen iPod Video since I got it way back in '06. I live in fear updating the software will brick the device. I had to replace the battery a couple months ago, but it is still going strong (knock on wood*). It is the only Apple product I trust.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Reading a lot of comments about it on the web, and there seems to still be a pretty big market for the click wheel iPod. It is a device for music lovers, who primarily want a clean interface for accessing their music. You press a button and it's there. You don't have to look at the screen for skipping songs, pausing, etc. For simply playing music, the iPod user experience is vastly superior to a touch screen. In fact, there will probably never be a better device for accessing music.

And again, this is on top of the elephant in the room that the only current "replacement" device that Apple offers has only 35% of the iPod's capacity.

I know it's a declining market, but I still feel like they're just throwing away easy revenue by discontinuing.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Chiming in as another user. That sucks to hear that there isn't anything similar available. There's no other non-Apple mp3 players out there? I used to use a Sansa before I got mine but haven't looked for anything else in a while.

7. LonghornFan

They have them at a few Best Buys around town available for in store pickup at the regular price. The $400+ prices on Amazon right now are insane. I'm going to pick one up in Katy this evening as a backup. I need my iPod. Wifi and Spotify is too compressed in the car, sounds so bland.

8. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

My ipod classic bit the dust. I now just have my Galaxy s4 and have loaded my entire collection on 4 64gb microSD cards. Kind of cumbersome to have to change out the memory cards, but it works.

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Mine bit the dust about 8 months ago, but a friend came through in the clutch when he gave me his classic since he didn't use it. I imagine I might get another 8-12 months out of this one. Then I am up the creek. iPod Classic was the best.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: My original 1st generation BEHEMOTH of an iPod still works... I have it in my garage playing music (on the left):

[​IMG]

11. LonghornFan

NM, errwhere in Houston is sold out. I found a brand new one at the link below for $278, that includes taxes.

http://www.tamayatech.com

12. Poloshirtbandit

My first mp3 player was a Creative Zen. It was a bit clunky but I loved that thing.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

14. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

Interesting thread. I actually found a 160GB model in good shape at a pawn shop yesterday. They were asking $70 but I got them down to $55. So far, so good.

15. LonghornFan

I do too, now. Gotta have a backup.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Will probably sell mine because I got Google play. Just gotta get it hooked up to my car

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness I still have mine. I ended up trading in my old one a couple of years ago and got the 160GB one. My music won't fit on even the largest ipod touch. I have to hope mine holds out for a while. My library isn't shrinking.

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

feel like they could make a killing by offering up the same device except just put in a 250 GB SSD.

as others have said, its really one of the best devices out there for strictly music listeners.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Very fascinating that they've come this far so quickly. It seems like during the first tech boom most manufacturers of a killer device would just add more colors and plow money into advertising, for some reason ultra-green translucent pagers and TDK commercials come to mind.

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

What are the advantages that an iPod Classic held over something like the iPod Touch?

Did it use a mechanical hard drive so it had more storage than NAND/SD memory? Or is it just that it only played music, nothing else? I'm asking because I don't see what the big deal is here, or why they were still selling it as recently as yesterday.