1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Football "Rate My Draft" Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DonnyMost, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

10 team league, .5ppr. 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex spot. Also a keeper league, with the way it was set-up I got to keep Matt Forte for my second round pick, and Jordan Cameron with my 11th, so thats why I got them as late as I did. Here's my draft

1. 7 DeMarco Murray, Dal RB
    2. 14 Matt Forte, Chi RB
    3. 27 Alfred Morris, Wsh RB
    4. 34 Andre Johnson, Hou WR
    5. 47 Matthew Stafford, Det QB
    6. 54 Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR
    7. 67 Kendall Wright, Ten WR
    8. 74 Eric Decker, NYJ WR
    9. 87 Emmanuel Sanders, Den WR
    10. 94 Danny Woodhead, SD RB
    11. 107 Jordan Cameron, Cle TE
    12. 114 Justin Hunter, Ten WR
    13. 127 Hakeem Nicks, Ind WR
    14. 134 Carlos Hyde, SF RB
    15. 147 Andy Dalton, Cin QB
    16. 154 Broncos D/ST D/ST
    17. 166 Dan Bailey, Dal K

I have since traded Kendall Wright and Danny Woodhead for Joquie Bell (picked in the 5th round), and I'm strongly considering trading Murray or Morris for a WR.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8 man league. Not sure how I feel about it.

Foles
    J. Charles
    Ellington
    Demaryius Thomas
    AJ green
    Pitta
    Keenan Allen

Bench
    T. Richardson,
    Vereen
    Cordarelle Patterson
    Mike Wallace
    Matt ryan
    Knile Davis
    Kirby Robinson

3. what

what Member

In an 8 man league 14 rounds, I would never ever draft deep sleepers such as Khiry Robinson and Kniles Davis, or draft 2 qbs. I also think that Pitta is a little weak for an 8 man league, you could have probably gotten a lot better out of that position.

4. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

10 man ppr

Andrew Luck
    Russell Wilson
    Jamaal Charles
    Rashad Jennings
    Ray Rice
    Trent Richardson
    Brandon Marshall
    Cordarelle Patterson
    Terrence Williams
    Marques Colston
    Doug Baldwin
    Julius Thomas
    Ladarius Green
    Tampa Bay D
    Nate Freese

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

12 man standard, non-ppr. Start a QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/FLEX/DST/K. I was the 8th pick.

Matt Ryan (7), Carson Palmer (14)
    CJ Spiller (4), Toby Gerhart (5), Stevan Ridley (8), Bernard Pierce (9), Devonta Freeman (13)
    Calvin Johnson (1), AJ Green (2), Antonio Brown (3), Michael Floyd (6), Bowe (12)
    Kyle Rudolph (10)
    St. Louis DST (11)
    Blair Walsh (15)

I didn't want to get WR's with my first 3 picks, but everyone was drafting RB's like crazy. I got Green with my 2nd round pick (pick 17) and Antonio Brown with my 3rd round pick (pick 32). Picks 21-31 were D.Martin/Stacy/Morris/L.Bell/Jordy Nelson/R.Bush/M.Ball/B.Tate/F.Gore/G.Bernard/Ellington.

Ryan Mathews was drafted at #40, and I got Spiller with #41. The next RB drafted was Gerhart at #56 (mine).

This was an espn draft....very different than Yahoo pro leagues.

What do you guys think?

6. what

what Member

I'm gonna say terrible. I mean you didn't get a top 3 qb, te, or rb. Literally all you have is wr's

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Invested far too heavily in wide receivers and left yourself very weak at running back. If Gerhart or Spiller can really break out you'll have a solid team, but if they don't, you'll probably be in trouble.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Khiry was a actually an accident. Knile makes plenty sense to me because I'm worried about Charles health. If he goes down I'm screwed so knile hedged my risk. Pitta, maybe but a kubiak offense loves the TE.

I'm more worried about Ellington and flex position.

9. jae713

jae713 Member

12 man league, ppr.

QB, Rb, Rb, Wr, Wr, W/R/T, K, Def, DST.

QB Cam Newton
    WR Alshon Jeffery
    WR Vincent Jackson
    RB Jamaal Charles
    RB Montee Ball
    TE Jordan Reed
    W/R/T Roddy White
    K Dan Bailey
    Def Arizona
    DST Derrick Johnson

Bench
    QB Carson Palmer
    WR Michael Floyd
    WR Golden Tate
    RB Lamar Miller
    RB Davonta Freeman
    TE Jared Cook

10. what

what Member

I like this draft a lot. The only criticism I might have about it is that you are going to have to hope that Lamar Miller is killin it by week four when Montee Ball's bye week comes up since Davonta is more if a deep sleeper.

I might have also went with Tim Wright or Ladarius Green over Jared Cook. Other than that, you did pretty well.

Side note: I think Phillip Rivers is going to be better than Cam Newton this year, but it is a gut feeling. So I might have rather had him but this is a minor complaint.

11. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

12 man ppr league

QB Cam Newton
    RB Rashad Jennings
    RB Maurice Jones Drew
    WR Demaryius Thomas
    WR Julio Jones
    F Cordarelle Patterson
    TE Julius Thomas
    K Greg Zuerlein
    Def Tampa Bay

RB Steven Ridley
    RB Mark Ingram
    RB Christine Michael
    WR Terrence Williams
    WR Anquan Boldin
    TE Kyle Rudolph

I know I need help at running back. I've been offered Giovani Bernard for Julio jones but I'm still contemplating the trade. Hopefully the waiver wire will help me in the running back department.

12. jae713

jae713 Member

Phillip Rivers was gone by the time I was looking for QB. Guy with the first pick has a hard on for the Chargers and picked up Rivers like in the second round. I was shooting for Andy Dalton and he was picked 2 picks before my turn. If I can do it again I maybe would have gone sooner on QB and TE.

13. what

what Member

This draft is terrible. First off, Mark Ingram, Christine Michael and Ridley are all 3rd string rbs at this point.

1. Robert Turbin > Christine Michael
    2. One of the main reasons that NO let Darren Sporles go was because they were too predictable on offense, so the plan seems to be to make Pierre Thomas do all of those roles that was once don't be the three-headed monster(Thomas, Sproles and Ingram). Not to mention that Kihry Robinson is firmly the #2 back behind thomas at this point.
    3. In New England, Ridley is being pushed by James White for the #2 backup role to Shane Vereen.
    4. MJD is probably the only veteran running back with the worst (or at least the most) unclear situation in fantasy. With Mcfadden behind him and also Latavius Murray (who has outplayed both of them), it's a crapshoot if MJD will be the same player this year as years past. There is a lot of risk in that pick.
    5. As for Rashad Jennings, I mean the NYG are bad, bad bad. They can't block anybody (see: david wilson last year).

So, would I make a trade for gio bernand? Hell yeah I would. You need something at rb and at the moment you got nothing.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's a 12 man league....everyone is going to be thin somewhere. For instance, here's the starters of the guys who have the top 3 QBs:

1. Manning/Foster/R.Jennings/Andre Johnson/Fitzgerald/Crabtree/Olsen

2. Rodgers/Ellington/C.Johnson/D.Thomas/E.Sanders/K.Stills/Cameron

3. Brees/D.Martin/M.Ball/K.Moreno/D.Jackson/S.Watkins/Pitta

Do you think those teams are better than mine?:

Matt Ryan/Spiller/Gerhart/Megatron/AJ Green/Antonio Brown/Rudolph

15. what

what Member

Well, #1, team one is obviously a texans homer, so it appears that he only picks the players that he LIKES on his team.

Also, without seeing the entire team I can't make an accurate evaluation, but clearly team #2 and #3 are better than your team.

1. Team #3 has two potential stud running backs and brees, so the hard work is done even if he doesn't have the wrs.
    2. Team #2 is clearly the class of what you showed me. Rodgers, Ellington, Esanders (peyton), and jordan, his team is more balanced and has quality everywhere.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Just b/c team1 has Foster and Johnson doesn't necessarily make him a Texans homer. People in general are not high on them. He could've thought they were value picks at the time.

You think teams 2 and 3 are "clearly" better than my team? I disagree, and frankly, I think your analysis is incredibly shortsighted.

Teams 2 & 3 are each starting 2 players who can be considered liabilities, and I don't think their star power compensates for that. Seriously, how can you not consider Chris Johnson/Kenny Still and Moreno/Watkins to be huge weaknesses? My RB's may be in the 3rd tier, but they should be heavily utilized by their teams, and that should limit their downside.

Look at the big picture.

17. mulletman

mulletman Member

I think I would wait on that trade. Julio jones is going to be a stud obviously, and while Bernard is really good, I keep reading about him splitting carries with Jeremy Hill. Some of it may just be the usual training camp hype, but it would still make me pause:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gio-bernard-jeremy-hill-projected-122112782--spt.html

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gio Bernard will be a top 6 back this year. Look what happened to Darren McFadden when Hue Jackson was HC there.

19. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I wished I had read through this thread before my draft - lots of good info and opinions in here. With that said, I'm feeling pretty good about my draft - 10 team, no ppr, 14 round draft (5th pick). There was an early run on QB's and D's.

QB
    Matt Ryan - 5
    Colin Kaepernick - 11

RB
    LeSean McCoy - 1
    Alfred Morris - 6
    Jeremy Hill - 8
    Steven Jackson - 10
    Ray Rice - 13

WR
    Demaryius Thomas - 2
    Andre Johnson - 4
    Cordarelle Patterson - 7
    Golden Tate - 12

TE
    Gronk - 3

K
    Robbie Gould - 14

DST
    Rams - 9

20. mulletman

mulletman Member

12 man standard, non-ppr. Start 1 QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/FLEX/DST/K. I had the 6th pick.

League settings are 5 pts/passing TD so QBs went early in my draft - Manning and Brees went 4 and 5 and Rodgers went early in the 2nd.

QB Luck
    RB Forte, Martin, L.Bell, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill
    WR Floyd, Crabtree, Maclin, Jordan Matthews
    TE Heath Miller
    K Crosby
    DEF Chicago

Going for a RB in the 3rd round cost me a better receiver. Not sure how the ones I have will pan out.

My defense and TE are terrible for sure. I waited too long to draft either of those and ended up with what I did. Thinking of dropping Miller for Clay, Gates, or Kelce.

For my defense, I really had no idea who to pick from the scraps left - may pick up CLE or BUF

I'm not sure what I was thinking drafting Jordan Matthews. I'll blame it on the alcohol and getting bored towards the end of the draft :). Thinking Doug Baldwin may be a better pickup