1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Except for the current PG we have as a starter.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I will admit 26-30 is more optimistic than even I can be, but any 1st rounder that's in the 20s is generally pretty worthless. Being outraged over not having what should be the 22nd-25th pick is just unnecessary.

3. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

"We"? I notice your July 2012 join date. You wouldn't be slightly biased, would you? Yes, Lin is a better offensive player...12-4 for $15M vs. Bev's 10-3 for $900K. Basically the same 3 point percentage. Bev averages less than half as many turnovers in 3 minutes more a game. I guess some would argue that a lot of Beverly's value comes on the defensive end.

4. Razsan

Razsan Member

And there you have it!

5. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Now he's free to average 14 and 5 for a 30 win team...everyone should be happy. I liked him with the Knicks..it was a great two or three week story. Was reasonably happy when he signed here. Glad he's gone...not worth his contract.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Fit and available role be damned!

If you need a scoring, distributing point guard that you are willing to let make mistakes then Lin is who you would go for.

If you need a defense first, low turnover guy mainly used for spot up shooting you take Bev.

In a vacuum, Lins skill set gets you paid more and in a straight up list of best to worst point guards Lin would most likely be ahead of Bev, but the NBA doesn't work in a vacuum and being able to get points and assists doesn't mean you help win more than a guy who plays defense and is careful with the ball.

7. Razsan

Razsan Member

Jordan...that's the point. Bev was definitely a better fit but posters keep making these random statements denigrating Lin...not taking into account his role on the Rockets compared to the roles other PG's have on their team.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Raymond Felton averaged 17 and 9 as D'Antoni's PG, AND the Knicks made the playoffs.

Lin couldn't even put up Felton numbers.

/endthread

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

And started, played over 38 minutes a game and shot worse than Lin.

10. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ICYMI: &quot;Today is the birthday of Jeremy lin the 14th best point guard in the nba. And schools are closed. Thank you … <a href="http://t.co/htc1sFUqLN">http://t.co/htc1sFUqLN</a></p>&mdash; Chris Rock (@chrisrock) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrisrock/statuses/503684555237519360">August 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The shooting was marginal (Felton better from 3, Lin marginally better from 2). Players earn playing time - unless there is some world wide conspiracy that is holding Lin back?

Turnover.

12. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Even Chris Rock overrates Lin...

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Lin was a decent playmaker but played with subtle animosity. If he did some deceitful things on the court, not talking about the weird turnovers in the Portland series but in regular season games. The explosion and scoring at the rim is just not there for a PG of his size. <<< This hurt Jeremy Lin's game the most.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

^^^^ I should say stock the most.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

Felton .423 and .328 (3.3 TO rate also)
    Lin .446 .358

AND last year Felton shot .395 and .318, averaging 9.7 and was generally horrendous, yet averaged 31 minutes a game. Circumstance is everything...just ask James Harden and Chris Bosh.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

This thread may be the only reason why LOFs are still here. Can we close this thread now?

1 person likes this.
  17. Razsan

Razsan Member

If this bothers you, why read it?

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Can you explain your argument further??

It makes no sense. Harden and Bosh are quality basketball players who can thrive in any environment.

Lin thrived in D'Antoni's offence, like Felton did, and apart from that they both look horrible. You obviously know more than NBA GMs, none of whom wanted Lin, and so Houston had to pay a first rounder to get rid of him.

Bye.

19. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I was a long time lurker and the main reason I didn't join was because of the silly Lowry, and Goran bull****. I decided to join after they were gone, and Lin signed with us. I realize that was a huge mistakes as the level of craziness only increased.

20. Razsan

Razsan Member

You referred to recognition and opportunities. Harden had his (by far) best shooting year of his career at OKC...only averaged 31 minutes and 16ppg. He gets a free reign in Houston and ups his scoring by nearly 10 points. Bosh lost 6-9 pts off his average going to Miami. My point is that you can't make a blanket statement based on stats unless you know what the player was asked to do. We know that Lin is not a stellar, "go in the corner and shoot 3's" guy. We'll find out what kind of PG he is this year.