1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jttr

jttr New Member

hell ya...

of course..... > . <

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Why is Rubio even being discussed we just finally got done with lins trash ass

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Because Morey is building his team out of nba 2k games. If all he cares for are his xbox live and ps4 achievements then what can you do?

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know it's semantics and amounts to thd same thing in the end, but it's Dan Fegan who's demanding the max for his client. If I eere Rubio, I'd know I'm not "worth" it, but wouldn't be so dumb as to turn it down.

If Morey acquires Rubio---if---I'll be thrilled to have him for what he does well, and will believe that he'll work hard to improve his shooting.

I'd rather pay that money to Rubio than to Lin.8.5 assists per 32 minutes on a team whose top 3 center is starved for the basketball? Yes, please. Great defense, too? Yes, please.

Besides, it isn't my money.

Doesn't entirely matter. We might be going in a completely different direction, trsde-wise. No need to get bent out of shape.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Some interesting stats on Rubio. He's in every one of the Timberwolves top 20 5 man units despite playing 66% of the minutes. His +/- is +12.8 (+6.9 on/-5.8 off). He played in every game last year, was 4th in the league in assists, and 2nd in steals. He takes 8.2 shots per game, that's slightly less than Patrick Beverly.

Sounds like a pretty good point guard, whose primary job is to dish and defend the ball.

Plowman might be right, he may be the best pure PG in the league soon. Playing with two superstars could work wonders for him, plus TJones is a rim finisher. Sign me up on this trade idea!

This is the most excited I've been about a potential trade since Rajon Rondo last year.

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

are we expecting some Rocket moves now that the Love trade was already executed?

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Good example of lies, damn lies, and statistics.

That's a statistic that speaks more about the TWolves bench in general, and J.J. Barea in particular, than to Rubio's effectiveness. If your backup is terrible, then the starter's +/- looks great. Plus, Rubio typically played with the team's only superstar, which means that his overall +/- benefited from that disparity when Love was on/off the floor.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He was also part of the worst 5 man units. Do you know who had the best +/- on the team, Othyus Jeffers.

9. basketballholic

Rubio controls the whole game very similar to the way Rondo does it but he's only 24. His jumper needs a lot of work....no question about it. But if he is on the floor with shooters...look out. He's one of the top 5 playmakers in the league and WHEN (not if) he gets his 3-ball jumper working efficiently he will automatically vault to the top of the PG rankings with CP3. He's that good. He's the best PG on the defensive end, exceeding both Goran and Bledsoe...and yes...CP3. He's an expert in pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop. All he needs to do is improve his jumper and he will be a top 10 player in the league. And unlike Terrence, Rubio has a basis for improvement. His improvement won't come from having to completely break down and rebuild his shot. He needs to add certain things like a hop on the turn and incorporate more bend (or dip however you like to say it). But the basis for a good jump shot are there. His FT percentage reflects it.

10. rockbox

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1UlBItveEL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QV1G-hsg6rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's been a professional basketball player for around 8 years. What makes you think he's going learn how to shoot or make a layup?

11. dantian

dantian Member

Rubio would hate to come to Rockets to play Beverly's role. In Houston, he wouldn't have the stats to ask for the max. ;)

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

dats my negative take on rubio...shooting and layup...look at tony parker, he's not a shooter but money when laying up after breaking down the defense

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

In the YMCA league maybe. Rubio sucks. Not good finishing at the rim and a 3pt shot that is a liability. He's a really good passer but even that would be mitigated since the ball is in Harden's hands so much.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

80% from the FT line
    Well above average from the wings
    Slightly above average from the right elbow

He's not terrible "everywhere". He's horrible right under the basket and almost every mid-range quadrant.

It's kind of like the people saying Rondo can't shoot. Yes he can, but his effectiveness is limited to certain areas.

Again, the real reason people don't like Rubio is because he can't finish around the rim. You aren't going to find a perfect player, so you've got to take the good with the bad. I'm willing to take the risk that Rubio figures out how to score at the rim versus hoping that Bledsoe stays healthy.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

A point guard whose only not "league worst" shot is catch and shoot 3's (he can't shoot off the dribble at all, from anywhere, because his release is at sloth speed)

Plowman gave a summary of what Minnesota want, Rubio isn't worth 1/3 of that.

16. baubo

baubo Member

Minor correction. While it is true that the 12.8 stat he provided accounts for his backup, Rubio's +6.9 does not. Which means Minnesota really did outscore their opponents by that much over I'm guessing 100 possessions since these numbers are typically based on that.

+/- do not take backups into consideration. For crappy teams, both starters and bench players can have negative numbers on +/-. And vice versa for good teams. The number itself does not lie. It states a fact. How one construes that fact is up to each person. Instead of calling the piece of statistics as a lie, why not just tell don grahamleone you believe his interpretation of the numbers do not paint an accurate picture of Rubio's worth as a player?

Sorry for the rant. I get a little annoyed when people automatically dismiss data, simply because someone used it to come to a conclusion different from their own.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Already sporting that Rockets alternative ketchup and mustard jersey :cool::cool::p:p

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

****^!

quoted the wrong video, I fail.

19. rockbox

He has a ridiculously slow release which doesn't effect free throw shooting because no one is in front of him. Look at the video I posted earlier on this page. He get's blocked by guy that isn't even trying to block his shot. What NBA player gets stuffed at the top of the 3 pt line?

20. rockbox

Here's a video of Rubio doing a impression of me in an NBA game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WHX8gLWDjwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.