1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario Elie is a traitor !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Faos

Faos Member

2. codell

codell Member

Ummmmmm.....Mario did play for SA at one time and was part of their 1st championship. Also, he still has friends on that team.

Give him a break.

3. Faos

Faos Member

Naaah. It's more fun giving him a hard time.

More than likely he was down there dropping off another resume.

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

The only part of the video that kinda pissed me off was when the announcer used "heart of the champion" - obviously Rudy's/Mario's phrase has transcended to other teams. Whatever....

Mario played for the Spurs, has deep connections with the team and gave mad props to a great individual in David Robinson. I dont see anything wrong with that. Just because he supports San Antonio (the last team he has played for and won a championship with) doesnt make him a traitor.

5. Faos

Faos Member

Ok..."two timer" then. :)

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Mario Elie has won a championship since 1995. We haven't. Case closed.

7. Toast

Toast Member

Hey, anything's better than Go Spurs Go.

What makes him a traitor is the way he left via free agency, and we got nothing in return. The rule has ALWAYS been if a guy gets traded, you still give him love (with Scottie Pippen type exceptions) and if he leaves via free agency, he gets boos. I don't care if he played a role on our championship teams or not, dude left via free agency (in a BIG huff, mind you) and he gets boos, not love.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Member

as i remember, i could have swore the rockets had no intention of resigning him

9. SteadyBallin

SteadyBallin Member

I can agrre with you on the later part of this post but as far as the "Heart of champoin" thing.GET OVER IT MAN RUDY DOESENT OWN THE RIGHTS TO THAT PHRASE DOES HE.AND FOR THAT MATTER NETHIER DOES MARIO.YA'LL SOME SORE LOSERS AND CNAT STAND TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.THE HOUSTON ROCKETS CHAMPIONSHIP WAS 9 YEARS AGO.IT AINT COMIN BACK YA'LL.GIVE THE SPURS CREDIT THEY HANDLE IT LIKE MEN AND DIDNT NEED A SUPERSTAR TO SAY I CARRIED THIS TEAM BY MYSELF AS SOME OTHER PLAYERS DO BUT I AINT GON SAY NO NAMES

10. codell

codell Member

You are correct.

Regardless, I am sure that some posters in this thread won't let that get in the way of their Mario bashing.

11. rocketabc

rocketabc Member

Are you an idiot? Mario Elie is one of the main reasons we have that second banner hanging, not to mention the first. You get off of him before I decide to get upset.

You'd better watch your mouth, too. Some of us do respect what the Spurs have been able to do. But don't sit there and say that it ain't comin' back here--we've got 7 feet and 6 inches worth of reasons to believe otherwise.

And if you want to talk about "handling it like men" on the way to a championship (you pathetic, undercover Spurs fan), maybe if your "Little Mermaid" center D-Rob had "handled it like a man" in '95 against a REAL man, you'd be talking about your THIRD championship right now...well, 2nd-and-a-half.

You had better watch out for our team in about 2-3 seasons, and go back to your little victory parade in San Antonio...enjoy it while it lasts, because the Larry O'Brien trophy will return to H-Town soon.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Steady Balling.

Easy man..easy.

No one is disrespecting the Spurs, they did great to win the championship this year.

However, you are WRONG WRONG WRONG in assuming that Duncan is not every bit as big a superstar as Hakeem was.

21 points 20 boards 10 assists & 8 Blocks.

DD

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, they had no intention of resigning him after he whined like a little baby after hearing his name in trade rumors. You may be different, but I have a hard time rooting for players who don't give it their all, which is why I have such a hard time with the 1998 team, especially after Barkley got hurt in game 4 of that series.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Thats ridiculous. So your rule is to applaud a guy who gets traded, but boo a guy who left via free agency?!?!? :confused:

Ummmmm Im pretty sure no one booed when Hakeem played his first game in Houston with a Raptor uniform on. And Im also pretty sure that no one cheers for Robert Horry or Sam Cassel when the Lakers and Bucks come to town.

Your "ALWAYS" rule makes absolutely no sense.

#14 Drewdog, Jun 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  15. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Double post.

16. SteadyBallin

SteadyBallin Member

Who the hell is you homie.Stop ridin tip mayne.You internet threatin me wit some bullish.Come on I know you can do better than that.And hose to say Houston will when a title in 3 years..As for bein a Spurs fan I am not I am just sayin give credit were credit is due.Dont hate because Houston lost out of gettin beat by the Spurs in the play-offs.Internet threating ......Silly futhamukaz.....

17. SteadyBallin

SteadyBallin Member

I wasent sayin it like dat DaDakota all I was sayin is that S.A. didt need a bonafied star to always run thier mouth talkin a good game.They got one who let his game do the talking just as Dream did.TIM DUNCAN DID THA DAMN THANG.I CANT LIE.

18. leroy

leroy Member

Was that english?

19. Toast

Toast Member

Well, here's the simple explaination. If you're traded, it's not that you didn't like the team or the situation. It was a business move by the organization. If you leave via free agency, you walk out on the team and thus you walk out on the fans.

When Horry and Cassell come to town, I don't boo them. I cheer them out of respect for what they did as Rockets and how much they contributed to the team. I wish we could have kept Horry and Cassell, but the organization made a business move, and acquired Barkley, thinking he would be a better fit. Cassell & Horry didn't turn their backs on the Rockets, they were traded in a business move.

Elie, on the other hand, is a different story. He got upset when he heard rumors that his name was on the trading block. So the Rockets decided not to pull the trigger. Then in the offseason, he signed with San Antonio. The Rockets got nothing in return, whereas he could have been involved in a trade. He turned his back on the city & the team. Thus, he deserves to be booed.

I didn't make up the theory that you still cheer for guys who get traded and you boo for guys who leave via free agency. I just see the logic in the theory and thus follow it.

Don't shoot the messenger. So what if I boo Elie? He had nothing but bad things about the Rockets before he headed west on I10. He deserves my boos, and I hope you guys booed him too.

20. Toast

Toast Member

Double post.