1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight vs. Dream

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ralphabetsoup, Aug 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Both guys are/were around the same playing height and considered great two-way players (offense/defense).

Are there any basketball skills that Dwight is better than Akeem at? What aspect of the game sets Howard apart, if any?

2. Ngadban389

Ngadban389 Member

If there is one thing Dwight excels at relative to Hakeem, I would say ability to play above the rim/athleticism.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Howard is a superior rebounder.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Maybe, MAYBE pure athleticism. Dwight has a crazy vertical for a center.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Of all the NBA players (with a full career) ever, Dwight is 5th in percentage of available defensive rebounds grabbed. Call it a product of the softer era if you want, it's probably true (Boozer is 9th) but it's still damn impressive - Hakeem is 40th.

But Hakeem wins in 9 out of 10 categories, whatever categories you happen to define.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Dream may not have the highest ups, but I have NEVER seen anyone who could land and jump again as quickly as him. Guy was basically a living pogo stick.

7. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Also Hakeem played against many of the greatest centers of all time. He can bamboozle Howard like he did Robinson.

8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Dwight failed facing up Yao...I don't want to imagine him facing Dream.

9. Taco785

Taco785 New Member

Baby Making?

3 people like this.
  10. soinlife

soinlife Member

i rarely post but had to on this thread to say thus....Hakeem would put Dwight in a blender, Dreams agility is far superior to D12. Dwight is a great athlete with some skill sets but double teams scare him because of he lacks the coordination to maneuver effectively. Hakeem's body control puts him in my top 5 all time hands down and Dream back in his younger days was freakishly athletic as well.

1 person likes this.
  11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Very, VERY true

12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dwight sucks against taller players, I thought we all knew this. That being said somehow he dominates Hibbert and Lopez. Maybe they just suck, because Yao was able to contain him easily.
    Honestly I think a Dwight Hakeem matchup would be closer than you think. Dwight at least won't struggle due to Hakeem's height, that's for sure.

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I rolled my eyes before clicking on the thread. I would say every aspect Dream was better, but that would be calling Dwight a scrub. Maybe athleticism but Hakeem was as athletic as any center I've ever seen. Hops, footwork, quickness. Dream had wicked hops. Wicked. Perhaps Dwight got up higher but Dream got up faster. But Dream wasn't a Tim Duncan/Serge Ibaka "meet you at the highest point" type of shot blocker. He was a Barkley snatch your shot out of the air type. Aas far as superior rebounder, the career stats bear that out. But hakeem's first 10 years are on par with Dwight's first ten years. 12.4rpg vs 12.9 rpg. So perhaps, Dwight is slightly a better rebounder.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uBrEsNS9zKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. But I'd call Rodman #1 all time at pogo stick jumping

16. BinBinRingRing

Dwight would win in a slam dunk contest.

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'd say Dwight is physically stronger, that's about it. Those saying he'd beat dream in a dunk contest, I'm not sure you saw dream dunking at his best.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I really wish Dwight would embrace the Dwightmare name. When Dream becomes a Dwightmare: Clutch City Strikes Again!

19. cml750

cml750 Member

I mean nothing bad about DH in saying this, he is a good player, but he is in no shape or form anywhere close to Hakeem the Dream in any categories. If you put DH in the center rich era Dream played in, he would be way down the list. In this era though he happens to be the best. I can just imagine how mindblowing awesome Dream would look in this era.:eek:

1 person likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's hard comparing rebound statistics. Even if you control for opportunities, there's still noise created by having other guys on the floor with you (Dream played next to Thorpe and Barkley), and the coaching philosophy of how to cover rebounding. You can get a statistical answer on who did more, but I don't know that means the person who did more did it because he was better at it. If there's a critical rebound with Dream and Howard fighting for it, I want Dream to be the one on my team. Same for a critical bucket, a critical defensive set, or anything else. I can't think of any situation in which I wouldn't rather have Dream. (No offense to Howard, who is no slouch himself.)

2 people like this.