1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For people crying about the obvious. (James Harden speaks on his defense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, May 10, 2014.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

WRONG

He will get better, but make no mistake what he's CURRENT state is.

2. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Yeah, it baffles me when people try to make the excuse that he CAN but just doesnt give full effort. That is NOT a good excuse, on the contrary it makes it a bigger and deeper problem.

3. Solaris

Solaris Member

Cool story bro.

So by your crazy logic, if Harden only work harder, he could have been playing like MJ.
    And if Dwight only worked harder, he could have been playing like Dream.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And JayGoogle should be practicing his jump shot in the gym instead of posting on Clutchfans. He could have been an NBA player instead of a poster here.

#144 Easy, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  5. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

Watch out NBA, Harden the defensive beast is unleashed!

6. Allegro

Allegro Member

You're just whining about losing an argument. Harden does have a giant hole in his performance: he only plays half the game when he's on the floor. He definitely deserves some valid criticism due to that. If you can't take it, too bad.

7. Maikeru

Maikeru Member

I really do not think just by training with Bowen Hardens defense will actually get better than his current potential is. Do you see Harden studying his opponents before every game, learning their tendencies and breaking it with the trainers. I sure don't.

But the thing is you can be an average on ball defender, but if you play bad team defense your team is going to be exploited big time. From this season I have seen a lot of players just being completely out of position. A coaching staff who would get on Harden can help him focus on on ball defense, but that would not solve how undisciplined the team defense is as a whole.

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I bet he will be choked in the next playoffs.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He has the tools to be a good defender, so much so that if he puts in the effort, teams will stop even attacking him and he probably ends up playing less defense overall.

Instead teams basically poke around to see if he's half assing or not.

10. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

[​IMG]

Add all of this with the fact that he locked PG down yesterday and I think we've got a player that legitimately turned a corner as a player. Or has at least started too. Thank god Thibs has been coaching him too. Him and George were reportedly giving each other tips and George showed him some things defensively. Harden showed him how to create contact.

Just bring it into the regular season.

11. Zbed

Zbed Member

In the Team USA scrimmage last night he at least played decent defense

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Decent? I saw a great defensive effort. He was focused, running the court and pretty much locked down PG.

13. alethios

alethios Member

I'm not saying he can't be a good defender, at least one-on-one, but he not good at team defense and hesitates, gets stuck or caught watching instead of moving his feet.

BTW, I don't know what you meant by that statement above but considering the nature and severity of PG's injury, it's pretty tacky.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Pretty sure he was saying that Harden played good defense against George during the game. That's a reasonable observation, and George's injury is irrelevant.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

It isn't too hard to comprehend. Scoring is more fun, more profitable, makes them more popular so he tries to preserve his energy by focusing more on hoping for a miss instead so he can get out in transition and be one of the top offensive players in the game.

Thank God he acknowledges it and wants to improve, because an improved Harden, especially on the defensive end, is a very dangerous Harden. The other side of him is going to he a great addition to our team.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's talking about the entire first half when PG couldn't score at all on him.

How is that tacky? Just because Paul George got injured it's bad to say anything about George?

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Good James, that's what we want to hear.

All the whiners and biatches and blowhards can go root for Dallas IMO.
    I'm so tired of your hatin' !

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

People can down play it all they want, but that's a hell of a defensive play on the league's MVP.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The criticism of his defense has been endless, and he's heard it. I won't say he's turned the corner, but maybe he's on his way. We'll see come October.

20. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Agreed. Hopefully he has a blake griffin like transformation by responding to the haters.