1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas: James Harden wouldn't tolerate being the third highest paid player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 26, 2014.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Why don't you ask him that? I am sure he will oblige you.

2. SPBR

SPBR Member

A little extreme, and premature. However, for all of Morey's success, this may end up being his legacy with the Rox, fair or unfair.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

why? why is this interesting to you? because you feel it supports your argument as harden being a poor leader?

maybe there is something cultural to his opinion. maybe he didn't think it through and rushed his answer. to me, it's relevant that (poor translation or not) he indicated that dwight and harden always make the other players feel needed and respected, but you glossed over that and hit this. Why?

the even funnier part is that parsons would be paid less than harden, so we can automatically eliminate that this is something based in fact. could it be that d-mo thinks harden is so much better than parsons that it would be odd for the latter to be paid more and therefore speculates based upon his own bias regarding salary?

why are you such a douche? that to me is the interesting thing.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's interesting because Motiejunas is a member of a Rockets expressing an opinion about the contract status of a teammate and what he thinks another teammate would feel about it.

We may not be sure of the precide meaning of the comment, or whether the coment reveals something about Motiejunas, Harden, Parsons or whatever else there is about the team. This doesn't mean, however, that we should pay no attention to it. We are not provided with exact and detailed explanations of the meaning and context of many of the published quotes from players, coaches and front office officials on the Rockets and on other team. Still, we discuss them all the time here.

If you think this quote says something about Motiejunas, or Harden, or Parsons, or the dynamic of the team. Say what you think it means. If you don't think this quote means anything, then I wonder why you even bother reading the thread or replying to it.

5. studogg

you haven't said what you think it means that is so f'ing important. Personally, I don't think it means a damn thing and you pulled out this quote as opposed to singling out the quote where harden and howard never make the other teammates feel unappreciated. Funny thing - that latter quote is direct, easy to interpret and is a complete backing of our players. The former is vague, subject to personal bias and open to a wide range of interpretations; however, when supported by the latter, the actual range of those interpretations to the negative is greatly diminished yet you are still propogating them.

what do you think Love's continual demanding of a trade says to his teammates? that he's all about winning? Or that he wants to win the easy way?

1 person likes this.
  6. studogg

I'm sure you'll quiver in a corner now and not respond, then later in a passive aggressive way say that there are too many people to respond to when you spend your whole day on the site starting arguments.

tired behavior is tired.

squeal piggy.

1 person likes this.
  7. studogg

yep. just what i figured.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3 straight posts. Really, tough guy? Lol. I figure there were more interesting stuff to respond to than your attempt at picking a fight.

None of us can see inside Motiejunas' head, but he said what he said for a reason. Perhaps he heard Harden talking about feeling underpaid (which he is-- Harden is locked into a long-term contract that will make him even more underpaid as the salary cap rises over the next few years). Perhaps he observed tension between Parsons and Harden-- over roles, shots, defense or whatever. Parsons has made it clear that he think he can do more than the Rockets think he can do and have asked him to do.

As for the "not feeling depreciated" quote. Not sure what it has to do with Motiejunas' opinion as to how Harden may feel about Parsons getting paid. Different subject matter. (Good that DMo didn't feel "depreciated" during the season. Maybe others, like Parsons, did.).

I linked to the entire interview, which covers multiple subject matters. If you people wanted to talk about other subject matters (like the "depreciated" part or the part where DMo says there is only one "perfect player" on the team who excels on both offense and defense), go ahead.

9. studogg

so again, you took major liberties interpreting a singular quote - callled it out specifically and place significant importance on it when even you have no clue what it means and requires heavy interpretation that could only be clarified by the person making the statement.

Moreover, you still didn't imply what it meant in your eyes that was so important. The quote in and of itself would seem to imply harden would be uncomfortable in a role where he was the third highest player, yet we agressively pursude carmelo (to which he was involved in the pitch with common knowledge) as well as pursued Bosh. Both of which would have been paid more and yet he showed no concern to this financially.

so tough guy. care to actually answer your own supposedly profound question with anything based in merit or would you rather continue to burn books that you feel aren't worth of reading by the masses.

squeal for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

I agree with you. Everybody on this board speculates like crazy about this team, but here's DMo actually saying something that gives solid insight into the team dynamic. He leaves very little to interpretation, that being Harden had everything to do with Morey not matching Parsons, despite all Parsons has done for and given to the Rockets.

And it was clear to me why no superstars were coming this year. Last year, you had Harden, Parsons, Hakeem and Yao all giving Dwight the hard sell IN L.A. This time, not one player - current or former - even bothered to help recruit Melo. After seeing how Howard was treated, there was no way Melo or Bosh was going to consider us when nobody but Morey came begging.

I guess a certain superstar here didn't want another superstar shooter sharing the spotlight, so no red carpet was rolled out.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Harden was there to recruit Melo. Dwight was involved too. Calm down.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Both Dwight and Harden met Melo.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Honestly I think DMo was being critical of Parsons more so than Harden. He's saying that because (a) it would be illogical for management to pay Parsons more than Harden (he was under the impression this would be the case) (b) Harden wouldn't tolerate the team paying so much for Parsons because he is not a comparable player.

DMo is trying to back up Harden and Howard. I don't think he meant to imply that Harden is selfish.

14. baubo

baubo Member

I would not be surprised if Harden doesn't believe Parsons should be paid $15 million a year. But I would be surprised if he also believes the Rockets should not pay similar or more money to the likes of Melo or Bosh. My guess is that Harden would be more than okay with Carmelo Anthony making $20 million on the Rockets.

15. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

You don't have the slightest inkling of that this thread is and what you're talking about. Log. Out.

16. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Motiejunas's whole logic behind what he said was 100% inaccurate. He was flatout wrong about Parsons making more than Harden. He assumed that and then assumed Harden would be against it.

He pretty much talked out of his ass and the basis in his words were very fundamentally flawed all around. Bottom line.

Nothing against DMO though.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a rational assumption though. Knowing a co-worker's salary can evoke jealousy and resentment. I certainly can't fault Harden if he was a normal teammate rather than some romanticized ideal player-hero.

With NBA contracts out in the open, it's easy to know who's underpaid and who's the slacker.

Sometimes business isn't just business. It's personal.

Wait...

18. amak316

amak316 Member

DMo has spent a lot of time with James Harden. It is safe to say DMo knows James Harden better than anyone else who posts here. DMo thinks so little of James that he feels that James Harden would essentially throw a temper tantrum if one of his teammates (who he is allegedly friends with) made more money than him. I can't be the only one who thinks this is essentially DMo calling Harden a petulant child which should at least somewhat call Hardens leadership into question.

19. AkeemTheDreem86

One of his teammates does make more money than him.

20. 34to11

34to11 Member

More interlopers here using misinformation and agenda driven assumptions to sow the seeds of discord and fan the flames of hate.
    I guess join dates still matter.