1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard and James Harden CAN Win A Championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by p10maggs, Jul 26, 2014.

1. newAge_Rockets

Hmm. Well right now our weakest positions are PG and PF. The West is absolutely stacked in these positions, so if we don't get players that can match up defensively against these guys plus hold their own on offense then we won't go anywhere.

I love Bev and I think he would be a stunning player off the bench, but I have reservations that he could be the starting point guard on a championship caliber team.

2. okeezie

okeezie Member

Mario Chalmers and Derek Fisher have done it. Kenny Smith did it. Avery Johnson did it. John Paxson and Ron Harper did it. Some teams are dominant at PG and PF like Portland and LAC. We are dominant at SG and C. They don't have 5 stars and neither do we. Our SG and C have to outplay their PG and PF. That did not happen against Portland last year but I'm willing to bet on Harden and Howard not allowing that to happen again.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wrong thread

4. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Did anybody (outside of Parsons) ? Lmao... Parsons would have to be an elite defender to even be considered a 3rd star. And he's not close to that... Therefore, he is a good pretty role player.

5. jvu

jvu Member

Spurs still have a big 3.. Just changed from Ginobilii to leonard

6. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

seriously, you dont win anything for having the "title" of "best sg and c in the league".

54 wins, 1st round exit. That's what everyone should be looking at.

7. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Leonard still has to prove it throughout a regular season.

8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

n'

This, end thread.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Maybe we don't need a "big 3" but we do need our assets to turn into role players to contend for a championship.

10. heads.up

heads.up Member

We would've went far if Harden played remotely even the same as he did in the regular season. He really pulled a houdini act that series...

11. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Chalmers/Harper/Smith/Fisher/Paxson/Johnson? Yea they did it but they had Players Lebron/Kobe/Shaq/Hakeen/Jordan/Duncan.

Howard and Harden dont impact the game nowhere near any of those players

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Having a big three and a thin bench isn't going as far as a team with two stars and a deep bench (like SA)

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Our 2 top 10 players aren't as good as LA's or OKC's 2 top 5 players.

14. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I agree with this, but the problem is, we have two stars and a thin bench. Our team has gotten weaker, and until we see them on the court, there's nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise. We've been in this same situation before with TMAC and Yao. What we need is a great team. I just hope that Morey can build one before the window closes.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We lost 3 of our top 7 players and we added ariza. I don't see how this team is any better. Even if he we had somehow gotten past portland I don't think we would have had much of chance against the spurs, and we got worse and have fewer assets. This has not been a good offseason.

16. rockets018

rockets018 Member

So glad to see a positive post like this. I was going to start a thread with something similar.

This team has the pieces already to be a championship team with Harden and Howard alone! So many people are acting as if we still have Kmart and Scola as our centerpieces and lost out on a big FA. Yes, that would be reason for a freak out Haha.

Anyways we have a great team now. That's without continuing to upgrade/build chemistry throughout the season and make some changes at trade deadline.

Keep the faith guys, we have an awesome team!

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We would at least need to surround Harden and Howard with high quality veterans to have even a small chance at a championship. The problem is as currently constituted neither Harden or Howard will sign with us again if we don't put top players around them. If we throw this season into the wait for next year 'bin' for great free agents to try to get it is extraordinarily risky that you lose the stars we do have.

18. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

You realize this is anti-Morey right? Morey's philosophy is that we can't win with just these two stars.

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Manu is still one of the top five shooting guards in the league they have a big 4.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

Rockets with the system they run will never WIN until they have a PF who has a jumper & 3.... They can bring CP3 in at PG still won't happen

Now the team needs a additional player maker due to the lost of parsons/Lin and that starting PF.