1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we the most hated team in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream2franchise, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

No, the Rockets are not good enough to be hated.

Except Lin & Yao's fan everywhere, outside of Houston, not many people really care about the Rockets.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

But it does not amuse you either. It is all too convenient to tuck Houston away in the nether regions of the "other" that you regard the non-West Coast non-East Coast as.

I was the head music writer for my newspaper in college. All the other students that worked there were from the Northeast, and when the Astros made the World Series and lost by a total of six runs in four games, their consolation to me was "sorry man but at least y'all don't care much about sports, right? I mean, the White Sox haven't won in forever, and their fans just deserve it more."

They didn't mean it in spite, but to me that was the general way that the rest of the country liked to regard Houston. That we're nice and personable people, but when push comes to shove, we just, don't matter as much. "It's time to let the big boys play," is the attitude I got. And it does seem like there is this bias when it comes to the national media and the perception of Houston in all its facets.

Go read books about where the country is headed, what the big cities of the next fifty years will look like. Houston is on the come, and while I agree with you that most people don't devote any part of their day towards loathing us, I do still think that when confronted with the prospect of our emergence culturally, most people will scoff and brush us aside until that reality is undeniable.

Personally I'm tired of interviewing for each step of my career with a bunch of New Yorkers and West Coasters who somehow think their training was better, their scores higher, the research they did more important. Me too, I am a part of Houston. And I'm pushing.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Please don't lump Yao fans with Lin fans.

Yao fans are usually still rocket fans, Yao is a rocket legend. Lin is not. Period. End of story.

Yao fans became Rocket fans, some of them even became bigger Tmac fans than Yao fans. They come to love the team and Yao still loves the team. No reason that Yao fans would hate the team that is retiring his jersey lol.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

Hello from Montreal..

6. langal

langal Contributing Member

Most other cities don't really care much about the Rockets. Lakers are the most hated team by far.

Used to be the Heat.

No one really cares much about Morey or Lin or Asik.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

By far the most hated team now.

Harden is considered a flopper and everytime he gets to the line its because he flops. People think he's selfish, lazy, douchebag, and a bad teammate overall

Dwight is obvious

Patrick Beverly was slowly getting labeled as a dirty player more and more throughout the year (I disagree)

Lin and Parsons were the 2 players that people around the league seemed to love. Now that they are gone this team doesn't seem to have a redeeming quality player on the team.

But who gives a damn

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

It just seems that way right now since there's nothing else to talk about right now. We 'failed' this offseason, and everybody has something to say.

Once we start the season off decently, it'll go away and everyone will have known it to happen ahead of time.

9. Spacemoth

Read the comments section of any ESPN article that mentions the Rockets. It's pretty much 10:1 against us. I would call that a bias.

10. munco

munco Member

fairly certain. no idea who else it'd be now that the super friends are broken up. dwight and harden are two of the most hated stars. and neither is winning the good guy award after their comments this offseason.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Before Harden arrived, we were a team that most people (including the media) liked, often described as a team that played hard all the time (backhanded compliment for lack of talent).

What did we get from that? Numerous trips to the lottery with our 14th draft pick.

No thanks. I like this way much better.

12. Broford

Broford Member

Reddit is also full of idiots, though.

13. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I have filled my heart...with hate

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

right now we're the most hated, it'll blow over before the season starts

15. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Bad rep perhaps

Not hated because this team hasn't achieve anything anyway.

16. Spacemoth

The media loves us in that role. The plucky, earnest bunch who try their best but ultimately come up short as soon as the big boys come to play. That's Houston to a tee. Think about the national retort to the Rockets' two championships. The big boy was taking the year off. Right.

Let's stick it to them in ways they never could have envisioned. Stay riled up.

17. archinkent

archinkent Member

It all starts from our superstars and both Harden and Howard are just not likable outside the Rockets. Hell, even Harden doesn't seem so likable here in Clutchfans at the moment.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Exactly.

I never bought those compliments, especially from the Media and Carlisle (Dallas coach). To me, they always had the bad smell of a backhanded slap. Therefore, this year, nothing like being a villain and shoving up theirs where the sun doesn't shine. Our players should be well motivated this year.

BTW, Michael was lucky that he never met a Hakeem led Rockets in the playoffs.

19. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

I think it's more because they hate the fact that Chandler Parsons didn't give the Rockets enough time and immediately signed a contract that would have given the Rockets a hard time. I think they feel betrayed and hurt more than anything and those comments are proof of that.

20. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Brutal truth.