1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 22, 2014.

1. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

A win on the open market is worth about 7-8 million a year. He's projected to be worth about 1.2 wins this year according to fangraphs' steamer and zips projections. Sounds like they paid him just about what he's worth.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

F*****g Carter :mad:

1.260 OPS over his last 12 games. He does this a couple of times every year, just to get our hopes up. I almost find myself wishing he would go ahead and suck consistently so we can wash our hands of this.

On another note. 42-58 start, so we still suck but...

2013 42-85
    2012 42-95
    2011 42-88

We suck quite a bit less and we're the best team in Texas :grin:

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I like this line in the ESPN recap:

"Astros first baseman Jesus Guzman returned after sitting out Sunday's series finale against the White Sox because of back spasms"

4. Buck Turgidson

Does that mean he really made 3 outs on the bases last night?

5. Buck Turgidson

Well, it is *technically* correct.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

In just 14 games, Carter's OPS has gone up almost .100 points. Incredible. For some reason, he is my "Astro I don't loathe like a majority of others". He most likely will not continue to go on his July reign of terror, but I do like seeing that 9 of his 19 homers are at home this year and that his OPS at home compared to on the road is only a .035 point difference (compared to a .320 difference last year).

Excluding April, Carter has a triple slash of .236/.294/.826 with a still low BAbip of .267 (.311 last season for reference). With 68 K's in those 59 games, he is also showing some improved contact which is always welcomed.

I think we all figured that he would continue to be streaky, but I think his post April play is making him worth having around. If he can improve his 2014 BB rate, which is8% of all plate appearances, to make up for the 33% K rate for all PAs, then we may actually get what we finally expected when the trade was made for Carter.

Here's to hoping...

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Grossman is 11-30 since being called back up. Keep it rolling tonight, guys!

8. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Seems like all it takes is for him to be looking for pitches to hit instead of pitches to take. He's seemingly playing for his livelihood (again) until Dex is back if they want to keep Hernandez in the lineup.

Sidenote: tonight, Peacock will start against Chavez for the third time this season. Wasn't last night Obie's third start against Kazmir? Just worth noting, I thought.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Another small sample size: Jose Veras has a 2.84 ERA in July.

Does anybody have news on Jesse Crain/Matt Albers?

10. Buck Turgidson

Much like bigfoot, there are rumors that such creatures exist, but no concrete evidence has been found.

11. bobrek

He did make 2 as he was thrown out trying to stretch a single.

Later, he was picked off as he broke for second early and Punto tagged him before he got to 2nd, again when Altuve slid off the base and again as Altuve scrambled to get back to the base.

12. Buck Turgidson

Gotcha. Didn't see the game, just glanced through the PBP and watched some highlights this AM. Knew he got thrown out twice, didn't know if you were talking about another play as well.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Does anybody have a good link to the game? My go to website has been shut down, Im assuming.

14. bobrek

It was just ridiculous that the umpire missed all 3 tags. The first was the most difficult to see, but the other two were really obvious. Since he broke for second it was considered a caught stealing which broke his streak of 28 consecutive. He still has base running issues, but it's harder to complain about it this year.

15. RocketMania1991

Go to http://www.reddit.com/r/Astros

They have a daily game-thread that comes up usually a few hours before the game starts.

There is always someone who posts high quality Astros stream links.

16. donkeypunch

Thank you. Would rep if I could.

17. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Springer to the DL

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

your goatd to website? :grin:

yeah, sucks. i used this last night, but it's hit or miss, and hit or miss on length of delay. last night was good though.

http://www.stream2watch.me/

19. donkeypunch

i dont think i shouldve ever released that website here on cf.
    It spread like wildfire and maybe they shut it down with too much traffic?:(

It was truly a great while it lasted though.

20. donkeypunch

oakland commentator just said carter was a good off speed hitter.:eek: