1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets still better than the Mavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zbed, Jul 19, 2014.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Were they better than the Mavs last year? If I remember correctly the Mavs played more games than us.

2. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Yes. Not saying much though

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Raymond Felton is the savior apparently.

4. Moleb

Moleb Member

Mavs are a playoff team and have a lot of balance in their starting 5. But the Rockets do have 2 players who are arguably the best players in the NBA at their respective positions.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We should be better with Harden and Howard on our team, but I think thanks to the Mavs having a more experienced group of veterans being led by a far superior coach that they could wind up with a better record than the Rockets next season. The key is Parsons. If he continues to improve and actually rededicates himself to playing defense(which could happen under Carlisle), that could give them the boost they need to pass us in the standings.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

First futures betting site I pulled up still has us as better odds to win the conference and the finals.

Vegas odds don't mean everything, but they aren't hiring idiots to makes these lists and every site I have looked at has us as better odds. So I don't think this is just some Houston homer point of view to think we should be better.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/

Has Houston as 6th favorite to win it all and Dallas 11th.

Also Houston as 4th favorite to win the west and Dallas tied with Memphis at 7th.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Stop reading ESPN and reddit. Those guys are completely biased against us. I don't know what it is, but people all around the country HATE the Rockets. We're like the villains of the NBA now. The propaganda machine is trying to push us down, but stick to your guns and you will be rewarded when the season starts.

Mavs gotta worry about even making the playoffs before they start firing shots our way. In my mind they're still not a rival.

8. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

Rockets still out weight dallas by having a kobe like scorer in harden, and having a defensive monster at center, who can dunk/post up you right out of the game, and scare/block your shot everytime down the court in Howard.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

OK, Dallas is gayer.

(not that there's anything wrong with that)

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Jose Calderon ranked 5th in the league in 3's. He hit 191 and shot .449 from 3 :eek: They will definitely be missing that.

Raymond Felton sucks from three (62, .318).

Vince Carter hit more threes (146, .394) than Parsons (130, .370). And he hit a game winner in the playoffs, didn't he? Richard Jefferson hit 123 3's at .409. I guess he is supposed to replace VC.

Obviously I am just looking at three pointers. But I would say they took a huge step back in that category, replacing Calderon with Felton.

12. Remii

Remii Member

They just picked up Rashard Lewis so that fixes that 3 point issue. Parsons, Greg Smith, and now they have another guy who played in Houston _ high school anyway.

13. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

In the paint, Dirk + Parsons + Tyson Chandler DPOY 2012

vs Dwight Howard.

Outside the Paint Monta Ellis on top of Harden.

This is how I view the matchup in my head.

Mavs have edge in my book.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Rashard Lewis 2013-2014, started 6 games, 971 total minutes.
    hit 46 3 pointers, .343

Calderon was a starter, started 81 games, played 2468 minutes.

Is Lewis going to start for the Mavs?
    Even if he does, .343 is a long way from .449

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets better than the Mavs undoubtedly.

The Mavs are ONLY better than the Rockets in two positions. At PF where Dirk is better than anything we have and coach where Carlisle is much better than the useless, incompetent, pathetic, clueless joke of a head coach in McHale.

Bev >> Felton
    Harden >>>>>>> Monta
    Ariza = Chandler
    TJ <<<<<< Dirk
    Howard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tyson

McHale <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Carlisle

The biggest drop off is not even the PF position but the coaching. Dirk is borderline top 5 PF in his last years (Blake, Love, Aldridge) while TJ is a top 20 PF. Carlisle is a top 3 coach (Pop, Thibs, Carlisle) while McHale is a bottom 3 NBA coach probably the worst NBA coach out there and an embarassment to the Rockets.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I will bump this thread again. Overall results as is, they are better than us. I'm talking playoff results. On paper they got us but people are underestimating Mchale.

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Harden is miles ahead of Monta offensively, but Harden's D kinda wipes out his real impact. So I would really say Harden >> Monta

Ariza is better than Chandler because Ariza will score some on Chandler and Chandler won't score on Ariza. So Ariza > Chandler

Don't forget benches. Our bench and theirs are pretty equal. We have good talent like Canaan, Daniels, and Dmo. They have guys like Jefferson, Lewis, Harris. Our guys are all young and could improve a lot from last season. THeir guys are old and they all regressed but they have veteran experience. I say benches are =.

I don't really think McHale is that much worse. I actually don't really mind McHale as much as most of the people on CF. It's like a group mentality thing to hate on the guy. I think he's just an average HC. Carlisle is still a top HC, so they still win in that department. Just not as much as most of the people say.

19. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

we lost Parsons, not Harden or Howard. chill.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Continuing the numbers game. Guess which is Terrence Jones and which is Tyson Chandler (per 36 minutes).

Player A
    FG% .542
    FTA 3.4
    FT% .605
    REB 9.1
    AST 1.5
    STL 0.9
    BLK 1.7
    TO 1.2
    PF 2.4
    PTS 16.0

Player B