1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHAMPIONSHIP: How far away are we *now* 7/18/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 18, 2014.

1. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Not really an overreaction. Last year the difference between hosting a first round playoff and summer golfing was only 5 games. With the roster overhaul and weaker bench, making the playoffs is not a guarantee.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. Even with Harden and Howard the talent dropoff and depth is problematic. As much as we all like to criticize and make fun of Lin and as much of a malcontent Asik was at the beginning of the season they were decent contributors off of the bench.

Now you got the likes of Dorsey, Ish Smith, Canaan taking significant minutes..

3. thisiscaketown

As the Rockets are currently constructed (which they obviously won't stay that way for long), they have to rely on Motiejunas or Jones becoming more significant offensive threats to lessen the offensive load off of Howard and Harden, and the full burden of the playmaking will rest on Harden's shoulders. Harden and Howard will be exhausted by the time the playoffs roll around, so Morey will have some major work to do to shore up the roster.

4. daRox

daRox Member

EXACTLY! Maybe more Harden ISO? This team is not any better than the 1st round team we had last year. Probably worse as McHale is more senile and we lost Parsons, Lin, and Asik

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Parsons absolutely was not as important to the team's success as Dwight.

6. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

About 11 months away, I believe...

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I believe! I think we can but it needs to as a team!

Rocket River

8. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

you know you only get so far.... but if you know something others dont know you might get futher...

[​IMG]

pfff. smh

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Sign me up for this one. Right now we are likely not even a playoff team, but things are far from set. The Ariza/Parsons swap is very depressing to me. A tangible step backwards.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

our talent will have us fighting for homecourt advantage. our coaching will have us out in the first/second round

11. ApuN

ApuN Member

This seems to go over so many peoples heads here

They won 67% of their games without Asik. The dude was hurt, out of position, and out of shape in the games he played early in the season and then he went and missed 2 months--the Rockets still played 600+ ball.

The folks going on and on about a dropoff in the bench need to get the heads out of their behinds

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are definitely one high quality/2nd tier star player away.

Once we have that player, then we are probably two or three fine tuning moves away to get the right role players with experience, skills, and chemistry to fit in with the team.

We may or may not be a coach away. But we definitely need some coaching adjustments if McHale stays. Maybe he's capable of making them, maybe not.

13. BinBinRingRing

Pretty far away from the second round.

14. SuperManRocketz

i have a feeling we wont make it to the playoffs..even if we did first round exit for us..Harden always choke in the playoffs..howard going to get hack none stop again..we dont have depth on the bench..When Bev or Harden was injured JLin take over and win games for us..but who is going to do that now?

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

didn't realize RR was so poetic or was it meant to be a rap....

I agree 100%. A coaching change is needed or we'll keep getting eliminated from the playoffs given how tought the west is.

16. Muaz

Muaz Member

An interesting thing that came to mind today was that Howard, ariza, and harden have all went to the finals lol idk it seems obvious but it really slipped my mind. I also like how scrappy we've become lol. Adrien was averaging 14 and 10 durin the last month of the season, and I think haing Troy Daniels in the second unit this year will be huge, 2nd comin of delfinoooo I think Dorsey will be fine because besides Asik, Chris Anderson, and zaza pachuila, I can't think of any good back up centers. I think this season will be interesting for sure, but you know southwest division....

17. Raven

Raven Member

Need to upgrade the four, need a veteran sixth man off the bench who can play either one or two, and need a legit backup for Dwight. After that, you need a coaching upgrade and for Harden to give more effort on defense.

The Rockets, as they are currently assembled, aren't scaring anyone.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree totally , they took a step back.

I know we all wanted an upgrade to Lin ..... but just getting rid of him and giving up a pick in the process and not replacing him at all was probably worst case scenario.
    He filled a valuable role as the 6th man backing up both Harden & Beverley. Now you have the unproven Canaan and maybe Nick Johnson taking those minutes.
    Not much left in the FA pool to fill the void (Rip Hamilton & Ray Allen ?!).

Moving Asik had to happen ..... Chasing the star FA's cost them dearly in filling that void as all the NBA caliber centers had signed elsewhere by the time all those stars told Morey no. Hawes to the Clippers , Chris Kaman to Portland & McRoberts to Miami.
    I'd have taken a look at Jermaine O'Neal instead of Dorsey. O'Neal gave Howard fits last year .... didn't play big minutes but was productive on both ends of the court.

I understand letting Parsons walk but had they kept Lin & went after "solid players" to fill in the blanks replacing Asik & solidifying the bench then matched Parsons , they'd have had more than enough to win. (One of Kaman , Hawes , McRoberts along with Ariza).
    Rather Morey went for broke and came up snake eyes and two of their biggest competitors picked up those bench players - Both the Clippers & Blazers got better this offseason while the Rockets took a step back.

19. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Carlisle > McHale and that counts for something in terms of maximizing your roster talent. I knew coaching matters but it didn't really hit me until the Rockets lost in 6 and the Mavs took the Spurs to 7 games in the playoffs.
    Also, Carlisle is the better defensive coach.

20. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

A new owner, coach and a good GM away. Presently, the rockets orginazation is about making as much money as possible and not really winning anything of significance

1 person likes this.