1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malaysian Airlines Plane Crashes in Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Jul 17, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure what evidence people have to make them say they know what type of missile it was already. Another possibility is a bomb on board the plane, though the timing to be over eastern Ukraine would have to either be on purpose or just a 1 in a thousand shot. Missile still sounds like the likeliest scenario.

In that vein, whose could it be?
    * Russian separatists shooting at a plane they couldn't identify
    * Russians with maybe a false ID on the plane
    * Ukrainians with a false ID on the plane
    * Americans just because we can shoot just about anything, anywhere, if we wanted to

Separatists still make the most sense, though not clear on how likely it is they can shoot things at 30,000 feet. But, if Separatists have the equipment to shoot that high, the Ukrainians must be able to as well. I'm sure they'll blame each other. And Putin will probably come out later with some 'intelligence' indicating that it was a Ukrainian missile just to give the separatists plausible deniability.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Meh. It's a law of averages.

3. newAge_Rockets

Lost for words. I don't get why anyone would want to take out an airplane and the hundreds of lives inside it. What a disappointing day. Even more disappointing are the idiot Americans that would rather watch some cheesy, poorly made soap opera instead of taking concern in events that happen in the real world.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm assuming that it was shot down with advanced weaponry provided by Russia, and because Ukraine has started flying transport jets to the region with supplies and troops at high altitude after some of their own aircraft were shot down, odds are good that the terrorists thought it belonged to Ukraine. Russia shouldn't be surprised that when you provide sophisticated weaponry to irregular forces in the field, they aren't going to know just what they are shooting at, not an aircraft at 30,000+ feet. Which is why you shouldn't shoot at it, of course, or provide them with arms of this nature. I'm assuming that it wasn't Russia who shot it down via their special forces, which are operating with the "separatists," in my opinion (and the opinion of a lot of others).

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It was shot down. That plane was leaking in a 7 mile span. Something perforated the plane, a missile.

1 person likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If that's a heat-seeking missile, it will hit an engine. It will obliterate a tiny Fighter with one engine at it's center, but a jumbo jet, it will probably take out an engine and maybe not kill too many people on impact...but maybe the fuel tanks explode too, with the engine.

I fear many people were spiraling to the ground with a missing wing, as the plane broke into pieces

7. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The rebels supposedly captured a Ukrainian air defense base a couple weeks ago and could have liberated the SAM from there.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You shouldn't shoot at it cause it contains civilians. dont target civilians.

1 person likes this.
  9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

https://twitter.com/evromdn/status/489820988730003456

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

TWA 800 crashed (conspiracy was it was shot down) on this very same day 18 yrs ago.

1 person likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Uh, yes. That's obvious. At 30,000+ feet, how can they tell?

1 person likes this.
  12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think most can identify a commercial airplane at that height. Use binoculars if u have to.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Strange how there was no smoke trail leading up to the crash site.

I guess that would be the case if it only hit part of the plane, like the rudders and cabin.

1 person likes this.
  14. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The BUK missile system uses a blast fragmentation warhead with a proximity fuse, so you don't need a direct hit to bring down an aircraft, especially a jumbo jet.

15. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks. . . Good Info . . .
    I am legitimately surprised there are so few

How are we on SUBS?

Rocket River

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the plane was probably severely damaged, beyond the point of a crash landing..

depressurized, holes in the fuselage, people being sucked out and flung while others tried to hold on to their seats.. crazy ****

19. yo

yo Contributing Member

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

just an aweful scene to imagine

Rocket River