1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Parsons "Mistake"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 17, 2014.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I'm just ready for the damn NBA season to begin. All these type of threads just need to die away.

2. Centerville

Centerville Member

I agree that Morey gambled and lost, but it was also a mistake. You have to look at these decisions in context. The Rockets were not in the same position as the Timberwolves hoping to save a couple bucks on a cool market for Pekovic.

Morey was pursuing a high-risk strategy to land a third elite player. He had an opportunity to mitigate that risk by picking up Parsons's option. In that scenario, Morey knows he has Parsons locked up for one more year at a bargain price and, if nothing else goes according to plan, he can return last year's starting lineup to the court in 2014-15. Moreover, because he has Chandler Parsons on a budget contract with Bird Rights, he has a valuable piece if he strikes out in free agency and needs to pursue a trade for that third elite player. This minimizes Morey's risk, maximizes his options and flexibility, and buys him time to execute his strategy.

Instead of choosing that path, he dramatically increased his risk, lost flexibility and painted himself into a corner, and put himself on the clock -- so much so that he was forced to deal a piece (Lin) to make room for a FA he didn't have a commitment from yet in order to get everything done within the three-day window on Parsons.

One choice got Morey time, flexibility and lower risk; one choice got Morey less time, no flexibility and much higher risk. In the context of his broader strategy, he made the wrong choice.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh don't misunderstand me to be defending the decision to let him out and enter RFA. I didn't want him to do that because even though the odds were good it would work I would never take that risk when I had a $1 million contract. But I'm overly risk averse!

But keep that in mind: The odds were in Morey's favors. He didn't really gamble all that much by doing this. Most RFA end up back with their current team because the market freezes them out. Morey was at the table and went all in with a full house. That's not really all that risky even though you can still lose.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Still doesn't matter. We wouldn't have taken a step back this season. Or he could have been traded. People don't seem to understand we simply do not have the assets to trade for a third star now, there is actually a zero chance we can trade for a Rondo or Love. And Parsons could have helped there.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

if we had of picked up his option, he would have been hard to trade because his salary would have been so low. Houston would have had to add more players to any kind of deal to get back a player worthy of that kind of deal. This is what really would restrict a trade.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's a legit complaint.

Not really. If everything was the same right now but we had Parsons on the team and no Ariza but still had the TPE that we have (work with me here!) you could make a trade for someone using the TPE and then in a separate transaction send Parsons for nothing or a second round pick. You could get around his deal but other pieces would have to move.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'd say it was more like Morey going all-in with two pair against Cuban's top pair and fcking troll Cuban hitting a runner runner flush.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

But many times it makes other teams over pay to get a player they want. So you either lose the player for nothing or match a bloated "don't match this" contract.

Signed,
    Lin, Asik and now Parsons.

And the sad fact is we lost Parsons, a VERY nice asset, for 0. Nada. Bupkis.

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

People act like Parsons is a star, he isn't. Lets just wait and see how he goes in Dallas, no way he could carry a team as the main man, he is a side kick and that is all he will ever be

10. conquistador#11

you could have gotten closer to the mythical 3rd supermegastar with parsons and lin's expiring plus the pelicans pick. I say closer because in a trade the 3rd mythical star cannot say no to you.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think the only thing to complain about was the picks we lost in the Lin trade.

That may prove to be idiotic come trade deadline.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Houston at worse will be about the same as last season, i'm still going to wait until we finish our roster to judge.

13. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

great post

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

meh nailed it.

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

They could be. They could even be better with Harden and Howard stepping up. But no matter what we still would have been better off holding onto parsons for that extra year.

16. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I will NEVER dog the GM for taking chances.....At least we have an GM and Owner WILLING To take swings for the fences instead of owners content on Not. He was trying to build a championship team and still can......some of us are ungrateful and use the excuse of saying "Morey is not above criticism" no he is not; but don't kick the guy when he fails WHILE TRYING to build a winner for us. You support him and assure him that we are on his side while he tries to build a championship team. We are way too cynical at times.....

Miami came in at the last minute with a max offer with a 5th year when we traded Lin; **** happens. We let Chandler out the contract a year early because we had plans on him being here.....typically you LET the market dictate the worth of the player and usually its less that what the player and agent think they are worth. Dallas was the disparate team and THEY reached. They signed a good player to a superstar contract; bypassing the All Star contract in the meantime lol. It's a joke that Dallas will be criticized for in the next few years while the Rockets will still have flexibility to improve the team in MAJOR ways. How can we complain when 3 years ago our best player was Kevin Martin? Honestly, why is there a need for pitchforks and torches? We live in a pass the buck, point the finger society and someone always needs to be blamed. Morey is working for us to have a championship team; not just a playoff team. Support him and the Rockets.....critique the mistakes if you want, but do we have to dwell on them? We didn't lose Dwight or Harden. We lost a ROLE player; not the 3rd star....let's move on and support the man because he's trying to do his job.

1 person likes this.
  17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

So, the solution to all of this would have been to trade him... Who would of tought? Lol, I mean he was a fan favorite, a glue guy. There are so many scenarios that would have made us look like losers. The odds were against us if you think about it. In the end only time will tell if we at least we're right not to match, for now we just have to wear our flame suits and deal with it.

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

if we get the "playoff" Dwight, we will be top 3 in the West i believe, also loving what i'm seeing in the Summer League from a few of the younger players

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Here is the big question, what will the Rockets miss that only Parsons brought to the table ?

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Good point, overall a lower risk to go RFA if the intent was to keep him long term and build a big 4. Not to mention we were thisclose to making it happen.

Still I think it was worth it to make a strong play for Love instead.

I had the odds of landing a FA at much lower than 50% and unfortunately I was right. While Love would only be guaranteed for 1 year I would rather gamble on Harden/Howard/Love being successful enough this season to convince him to resign. No Parsons as a 4th option but I'd also gamble on Morey getting more depth. Parsons is good, not great.