1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traveler

traveler Member

no

No. Dragic has a player option after this next year. That means he can become a UFA. He would be a one year rental. Few would give much to Suns because of that. He is not an elite player like a Love.

Dragic asked for the PO to ensure that Morey would not re sign him. It was a deal breaker for Morey and Dragic knew it. At that time he wanted out from a perceived rebuilding team that looked lottery bound.

Now because of that PO Morey will not touch him. He is only going after team friendly contract players that cost little to no assets or his superstar. Dragic has a bad contract for the Rockets.

Bledsoe they would if he would sign a very team friendly contract and the Suns will take little assets.

2. dingus

dingus Member

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Hate jinxing it but if Houston doesn't land either Aldridge, Love, Millsap, West, Scola or Faried next summer something is wrong. Many championship contenders already have big time PF's locked in (Miami, Chicago, LA Clippers, OKC, San Antonio, Dallas, Memphis, etc)

All for using the TPE and NOLA pick on the expiring contract of Rondo or Dragic, if Rockets can retain their bird rights.

If they left Rockets could always put out a hefty offer sheet on Reggie Jackson

4. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I love AB, being a true professional and always appreciate his opportunities. I agree that he should stay away from the Rockets. I hope he plays well for another team and earns himself a good 3 year contract. Dude thought he would have a good contract after that decent third year, but he has never gotten a great contract and is already 29.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nothing's going to happen. It was Bosh or hold off until trade deadline.

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

We currently don't have enough players to fill a roster, something has to happen!

7. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I don't think the player option matters anymore. At the time it did because morey is always concerned about future flexibility and a player option is bad for that (allows a layer to opt in even if he has underperformed to his salary/value). At this points in Dragic's contract he will likely opt out so his contract is essentially an expiring (and we would have his bird rights I believe). If he doesn't opt out then you have a PG making 8 mil that would likely command a deal similar to Lowry's...in that case he becomes a value contract. To sum it up...that player option means nothing anymore.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If we can't trade for him, why not just wait until the end of the year when we have $14-19m in cap space and offer Love the max. Then you have

Howard
    Love
    Ariza
    Harden
    Bev

If he turns it down for NY or LA then offer dragic close to the max or the max. It's a little overpay but now you have the following even without love

Howard
    PF (jones if you do nothing)
    Ariza
    Harden
    dragic

Bin if these are better teams than if you had paid parsons the max bc you would have been capped out and couldn't offer a max to anyone else. The key is you now have Ariza whose a close approximation of parsons, so you can afford to overpay for dragic. Or better yet you use your max cap space next year and threaten Phoenix and Atlanta (milsap) that if they don't agree to a sign and trade then you will sign their free agent outright. You agree to a sign and trade and sign the other with your cap space. Now you have

Howard
    Milsap (and possibly Jones)
    Ariza
    Harden
    Dragic and Bev

Championship team and much better than Howard harden Parsons.

Lots of possibilities, which is why morey decided ultimately that Howard harden parsons with no flexibility is worse than Howard harden Ariza with LOTs of flexibility. In one of his Monday conferences he said it "wasn't even close". Now I'm starting to believe him given the possibilities. Not picking up the option was a mistake (assuming there wasn't a wink wink deal with fegan) but once Ariza signed for half the price I realize now why the decision was made to not match.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We're going to sign some vets for the minimum. Accept this. That way if something remotely positive happens, you'll be ecstatic.

10. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Booo to this waiting stuff.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Technically we have 16 players of now... if you include Gee and Hopson

12. traveler

traveler Member

ok

OK then he becomes a one year rental. He will opt out and go for the money. If we have his bird rights and can match then what if a Superstar pops up next year or the next? Dragic is not a superstar so that makes him a for sure rental. Morey is hoarding his last few remaining assets as he should. He will not give them up for a rental. A renal BTW that abandoned us once before.

13. traveler

traveler Member

no

They can bring 20 into camp. They will sign a few more scrubs soon.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dragic was an Unrestricted free agent, the idea that he asked for a player option in order for the purpose of Morey saying no makes no sense at all.

15. traveler

traveler Member

yes

Morey don't do PO. He could leave anyway but he knew that Morey would not sign. Phoenix would.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This whole post is inside out.

So, you swallowed that BS propaganda about the player option being the reason that Gogi didn't stay. LES wanted Jeremy Lin.....and all the ancillary benefits off the court. PERIOD.
    As to what it will cost to pry Dragic away....You will be shocked at how little we give away to get him, and it's precisely because of that contract.
    And sit down, for this will blow you away.... Goran will ink a prearranged longterm deal upon his arrival.
    Don't be so naïve...It's business.

17. traveler

traveler Member

if

If he signs a team friendly deal on arrival and phoenix will take little then great. I just don't see why the Suns would be that generous since I am sure many teams would offer more. Awesome if someone hands us a silver platter as a gift.

18. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

So you're saying we get him now or soon? Cool! (Although that means we lose our cap space next year I'll take it. That's like adding dragic to last year' steam, almost.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup this guy is right, scratch the whole idea bro's I was wrong. It's impossible to sign Love and re-sign Dragic with Harden and Howard contracts on the team.

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Wait, is this just wishful thinking, or is it actually happening?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.