1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey and the Rockets Get Defensive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jul 15, 2014.

?

How good can the Rockets be on Defense?

1. Top 5

23 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Top 10

72 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Average

43 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. Top 20

7 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. League Worst

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

We're gonna have trouble scoring. Other than Harden who creates his own shot?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tjones?

3. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

That's why I'd like to bring in Boozer, he's a bit of a b*stard but he can still play and he can take some pressure off of Dwight and James.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Why do people keep referencing Lin like he was doing something irreplaceable. He only produced for us about half the time. Have you all seriously forgotten his missed transition lay ups in the playoffs? It's like most of the posters here have selective and terrible memory at best.

As far as Parsons goes he was a very good transition player. But Ariza is actually just as good. And he's produced in the playoffs. With both LA and Washington.

Anyway, either way I would say Harden created a good chunk of those opportunities just from his presence and the attention he commands. Role players aren't creating for Harden. Playing with Harden definitely creates opportunities for role players though.

5. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Might as well be the 04-05 Rockets....

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

A lot is going to depend on who they get as the defensive coach and if I'm Les and Morey I would not spare no expense in doing so. If they would have had a good defensive coach last season they would have beaten the Blazers without a lot of problem IMO.

7. NotChandlerParsons

Is Pap known as a particularly good defender?

Doesn't really matter if we don't have a coach who can keep the brain trust from changing defensive coverages on the last play of a playoff elimination game.

8. Browny

Browny Member

Morey has replaced a bunch of pusses with men. The Rockets identity has, until recently, always been predicated on defense. No more upside. No more potential. No more layups.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

First off, we need a coach or assistant coach. 2nd, we need someone who can spell Beverley. 3rd, we need a reliable wing to spell Harden/Ariza. Finally, we need a significant improvement at the 4. Joey Dorsey is not good IMO. Adrien I like.

If we address those things you're looking at 7-9th best on defense as realistic. I'm not in the crowd that thinks Ariza is some megastar defender, I think he was in a contract year and had good coaching. We cant just expect Ariza to make a difference like you would with Dwight, Hayes or Beverley.

10. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I know McHale gets a lot of heat, and sometimes he deserves it. But at the end of the day, it's the guys on the court. If your bball iq is high, then you know where to position yourself and when to help on D and what not. McHale is a motivator, and that's a reason a lot of guys like playing for him. I agree McHale sometimes makes bonhead subs, and I believe players don't always listen to what he is trying to run. I think we got bigger and meaner and nastier. If Kostas signs, and maybe get a vet pg, we will be set and better than last year.

11. BreakYoSelfFool

Contrary to popular belief, the best way to create offense is by forcing turnovers and finishing fast breaks. I think everyone we have added can do that. Also most of the guys can spread the court, pass, and catch and shoot.

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Talk about selective memories.

You can talk all kind of **** about Lin, but the facts remain that he has value in Rocket's offense.

Offensively, Cannan is close to a joke when comparing to Lin, and I feel really sad when I need to say this.

13. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Thank you for your Jeremy Lin opinion, Texanasiafan. I'm sure it was unbiased, levelheaded and fair.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not really that. McFail will play Harden 36+ minutes and watch him break down at the tailend of the regular season.

The man's game as he's playing it now was not built to last a marathon.

You'd be delusional to think that losing JLin for nothing is a positive on the court, like DudeWah is saying. It just means the Rockets will be more in need to try out players to fit that gap rather than trade up from Lin.

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

"Chandler was my favorite" the easy way to spot the female Clutchfans. Good for you! I admire ladies that like basketball.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think in this situation its coaching as far the rockets Defense goes.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You are funny and also a borderline racist, you ain't any better than LOFs.

I was actually labeled as a LOH in here by others.

Check my posting record.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We were for a good chunk of the season, then Dwight was out and Sampson left and we dropped. Then proceeded to embarrass ourselves on that end in the playoffs.

19. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say as previously mentioned 94

20. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

oh and sign jameer nelson