1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Hou - NY trade on ESPN Insider

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hpscc, Jun 10, 2003.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I would espect Van Gundy to have at least one knick on the team that can sell the Rocks on the program. Which is why I think Rice will be staying put and that will be that.

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

no spree please!!! id rather have cat thank you! spree makes cat look like jason kidd for crying out loud!:mad:

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I would much rather bring in solid role players than someone like Spree. I like Spree's game. However, we already have too many roosters in the hen house as it is.

4. sjeev4

sjeev4 Member

thanks a million story_teller

5. sjeev4

sjeev4 Member

dreamer....you re the type of guy that wants to outlaw kazaa, arent you?

6. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Good point! This is ALL speculation! It will b very interesting 2 see in the coming months change(s) in the ROXS line-up!!;) I do like Pat Ewing comin' in 2 teach our big man, at least he seem very interested & willing.....hey if can't beat them, join them;) :) !

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Cat, Nachbar, and Rice for Spree :eek: :eek:

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Please dont forget that Van Gundy actually LIKES Mobley's game.

This trade Idea sucks by the way. Giving up waaaay to much for Spree - who I think is completely overrated in the first place.

9. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

If we traded for Sprewell, would we have to go back to calling ourselves "Choke City"? :p

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He IS kidding.

I posted a Tim-Floyd-to-NO-WTF?!?! in the other forum and a lot of people defended the guy, maybe knowing him from his New Orleans background (I think he lives there).

Believe me, Tim Floyd sucks. That's from someone stuck with many Bulls games and the Chicago Tribune (although I shall soon move back to Houston....which deserves a Marv Albert-like, "YESSS!")

Why trade for Spree when you have a younger version of the same guy for much less in James Posey?

Glenn Robinson? Nah.

But there will be some changes, and rightly so.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Relax guys...he doesn't realize that we are holding out for Cat, Nachbar, and Rice for Kevin Garnett.

Seriously though - ahhh no.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If Spree comes to the Rox we will have more of the same. Except more players will be frustrated and we will not get back to our Center development. Also I hate to pay a lot for veterans that are towards the end of their careers. Doesnt Spree get paid a bunch and isnt he a difficult out of control type of player? I dont think his character would fit the Rox. I just dont like reparing the Rox with old Knix! There are plenty of players and Coaches available, no more NY guys please!!! JVG should talk with the Clutch BBS Members prior to even thinking about anything to do with the Rox, in any shape, fashion or form!!

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Except that Posey actually plays defense and passes the ball.

I think that Robinson would be an interesting fit here. Move Posey to the 2 (his natural position) and Cat to the bench. Robinson plays 3 with Boki as backup and then we have the big man rotation. I don't think Robinson would demand the ball on this team, and with his shooting touch and ability to go to the hole, he could be deadly given Yao's passing ability.

That being said, I hope the Rox stand pat and try to add a FA or two to bolster our weaknesses. Chemistry wins championships. Remember '95?

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'd rather have Allan Houston than Spree.

Allan Houston could be a monster if Yao can become the star he can be.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I like Allan Houston as a player better than Sprewell too but his contract last four more years while Spre's only goes for 2.

I'd do that trade in a second and I think NY just might be interested in something like that. Cato is going to be getting less and less minutes each year here as Yao comes into his own. Good trade.

I think a lot of people here are knocking Sprewell too much. Under JVG he played a very disiplined game and hard-nosed defense unlike his years in Golden State.I would do the trade mentioned on ESPN Insider only if they changed Othella to Kurt Thomas or if NY threw their #9 pick into it.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

You know the most interesting aspect of the thread is this...

That sure sounds like a guy with the mindset like he is a long term Rocket--that is a good thing, Posey is a quality 4th option/great back-up.

No way on the Spree trade or Houston trade unless we do it to shed bad contracts meaning MoT and Cato as the centerpieces. Cat/Posey are not better than either Houston/Spree but they are close enough skill wise and are younger and MUCH cheaper so I rather go with them and work on other spots of weakness on the team--namely the 4 spot. Now if Kurt Thomas or the #9 pick is included that makes things more interesting.

#56 Desert Scar, Jun 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  17. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

While watching the Spers play the other night I was thinking that Claxton would definitely be a good PG for the rocks. Seems to be a decent shooter, penetrates with ease, looks to pass first (at least this is from what I've seen of him). I didn't know he was a free agent this season. :D

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Nothing against Speedy but, if teamed with Francis at SG, he would make our backcourt very small (but quick!).

19. story_teller

story_teller Member

I thinkRobinson would only be a good fit if he accepts a role behind Yao and Francis. But he's pretty much been the #1 or #2 option everywhere he's been, right? So it just doesn't seem like a compatible fit to me.

20. story_teller

story_teller Member

Now there's a trade I'm down with: getting Kurt Thomas. Fills our need a PF. Some ppl say he played like and All-Star this past season in the weak East; he did do a great job playing center even though he's clearly a PF.

C - Yao
    PF - Thomas
    SF - Posey
    SG - would have to trade mobley?
    PG - Francis

Not bad.