1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Dummy will ruin the Rockets!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by costashater2, Jun 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Boy, you sure are full of hate for an occupational therapist.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No one has been more anti-Van Gundy than me but starting today if you are not behind him then it is time to fall in line. The man is the new coach of the Houston Rockets and we might as well give him a chance because we have no choice in the matter. Besides, he might actually prove to be a better coach than some of us (including me) thought. I didn’t want him but here he is so I for one am going to hope he turns into the best Rockets coach ever and lead us to many NBA championships.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Are you from NY? Sorry to say this, but the Knicks never had a leader. A "go to guy." They would never win regardless of what coach they had.

Speewell and Allen Houston were not leaders. They were #2 guys. Pippens.

The Knicks were one superstar away from becoming contenders. Remember, Ewing retired. That was the end of that team until the next lotto.

4. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Is it a coincidence that people filled with hatred are the same ones with nothing between the ears! :)

5. tsl99

tsl99 Member

First, JVG apprears to be our next coach, we have no choice but suppor him.

Second, I have said millions time, West are better then East is not because their coaches are better, is because they have better players.

Most coaches in Western Conference suck, esp before PJ came LA.

6. mos-def

mos-def Member

well. van gundy gave up in nyc, because the dumass GM we have was continually cutting the nuts off of him, and hamstringing the whole knicks organization. would you stay working for a team that made horrible personelle descisions, and insisted that you work with the garbage you were handed like shandon, and the highest paid, most overrated hump of a guard like houston???
    please, van gundy will work with what he is given, he will utilize the strengths of stevie, and yao, because he is smart and flexible. hell, i dunno how he won with the sh** he had here in nyc.
    just be greatful, and patient, it will be ok.

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

:)

I am totally convinced now that this is Drexler85.

Memories...of the posters we left behind....

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Excuse me, the Knicks had one of the highest paid salaries of any team in the league under Van Gundy and he still was hard pressed to do much with it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how he does here in Houston but please don't blame the Knicks lack of spending money for his ineffctiveness there.

9. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Let me know how much money you want to put on that prediction. Because I will take that bet all day long!!:D

10. leeman

leeman Member

Van Gundy wasn't my first choice, but now that he is the Rockets coach, I am behind him all the way. Besides, he is starting to grow on me. I am looking forward to next season!

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes, Rudy T did win 2 championships playing low post ball but that was before the zone was legalized in the NBA. That sort of offense won't work today as the zone allows teams to flood the paint with defenders. The sad thing is that Rudy never appeared to adjust to the new rules which is why the Rockets looked so awful on the court at times.

The Spurs only lack a consistent outside shooter or 2. That's why teams that play zone against them frustrate them so much - witness Duncan playing 1 on 3 during the NBA Finals. All they need is a guy who can consistently bury the jumper like say a Michael Finley and they'll be a balanced, killer team. Also, they've shown that they will run when the opportunity presents itself. I classify them as more of a controlled offensive team than a slowdown halfcourt team.

I, too, was in the Dunleavy camp. He's proven that he can coach in the Western Conference against the big guys and has a creative offensive basketball mind. That said, I'm reserving comment on VG until I see what type of offense he puts on the floor. If it's the same slow down, guard oriented offense the Knicks ran, then I'll definitely be amongst his critics!

#31 HillBoy, Jun 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  12. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

The fact that the zone was illegal didn't stop *anyone* from running it against Hakeem. Everyone was illegal against the Rockets, every time down the floor. And by and large it didn't work because (1) the team had the discipline to work the ball around from Hakeem to the weak side, and (2) generally, someone was hitting those threes.

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Since when are salaries a measure of a player(s) talent?

14. Rocket Redd

Rocket Redd Member

I have not met a Knicks fan that hates JVG. The reason the Knicks want compensation is because they are greedy and are now very poorly run.

As has been stated by a couple of Knicks fans who are on these boards, the Knicks management (particularly their GM) has been a train wreck. I can't say if this played a part in why JVG actually resigned from the Knicks, but it wasn't like his teams were unequivocally fated for the lottery or were in no position to battle for the post season that year or the next. I tend to think that the relationship with he and management was poor, and certainly poorer than it should have been when you look at the HC and the fact that he'd taken his team to the NBA Finals the previous year.

JVG wasn't my first choice to replace the Honorable Rudy either but I'm hoping he does well at the head position now that he has it. What would I be hoping for otherwise? The reverse? That would seem counterproductive to main goal of ALL Rockets fans.

15. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

DUDE, What the hell is this?

Mr Mooch, That makes a lot of sense saying get a life before
    you start acting like an idiot....Hmm did you think of that yourself or did you get off adummy card, No better yet maybe I should think like you but I might start acting like a moron. Wow you are truly a clever poster!!! Did you think of that all by your little self.

BRAVO MR MOOCH BRAVO

The collective IQ of this forum has now dipped below triple digits. Coshafter or whatever your name is... Are you a Rocket's fan? Or just come here to start your smack with everybody? You're one of the reasons why so many sources of our "inside" information is not nearly as available as it once was. Get a girlfriend, a dog, gerbil or something that you can love. Its fairly obvious with your posts on this forum you don't love the Rockets. You just love your opinions only. Grow up. Im sure more people than just myself would thank you.

16. costashater2

costashater2 Member

Jack Hammered, So what is the use of a forum if someone cant express his feelings? Should everyone be a robot and agree with the next man or woman(you) Come on now you need to understand what a forum is. I dont waste my time looking for arguements from a bunch of big little kids like you on this board, I have always hated Van Dummy from day 1 and it is really frustrating to see him coach the Rockets. I have a brain and you have a brain so stop expecting everyone to be yes man and a follower.

ROBOTS- EVERYONE WHO AGREES WITH EACH OTHER AND IS SCARED TO SHARE AN OPINION.

17. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

You have to understand that robots have feelings too....

:eek: Take me to your leader! :eek:

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>The west is wide open offensive ball not slow down hack and wack ball</i>

You really should turn on the NBA finals and catch a glimpse of the wide open offensive ball that is being played.