1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 in the 8:00am hour

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. HCA

HCA Member

Good coaching, spacing and smart players wreck the double team. This is not the 90s where ISO basketball wins. Aldrdge will find mathews on the wing if harden comes to double, lopez for the dunk if dwight comes over, batum in the corner if parsons starts sneaking over and lillard slashing to the rim if beverley helps.

Stick to nba 2k where I am sure that **** doesnt work in either.

2. scottie brooks

If anything, I don't believe we will miss a beat with Ariza replacing Chandler. They have similar game except Ariza just isn't as easy on the eyes like Chandler was.

Now that lin is gone and bev stays, I see the rondo trade much more enticing to the rockets.

Another thing about Chandler, I feel cuban expected Morey to match and be stuck in cap Hell with Chandler as our number 3. Kudos to Morey for not letting his feelings cloud his judgement. Now is the time for someone to post that gif of Cuban spitting out the expletive because he knows his plan backfired.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

#263 Commodore, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, similar games except for the fact that Ariza isn't a ball handler at all and he can't make his own shot and is a better defender than Parsons. Or you could just say that they have different games. As it stands right now, the only ball handler on the team is Harden.

5. conquistador#11

z knows more basketball than anyone on any station. adam knows more about $100 jeans than sports.

6. HCA

HCA Member

Cyberx reported it, numerous reports of the celtics shopping rondo, aldridge gave details, and it was discussed on inside the nba.

Only a dumb gm would actually admit to trying to trade on of their players. There were several reports in houston about how they decided to keep parsons at the trade deadline.

7. torocan

torocan Member

To retain the Rockets' position, they basically need to match the team's offensive and defensive punch.

Starting unit - Improved substantially defensively, took a hit offensively.
    Bench unit - Took a hit offensively and defensively (Asik and Lin).

So, with the cap space and various exceptions, all Morey has to do is make up for the handful of point differential on the starting unit (less than you would think since it improved defensively), find a decent replacement at the PG spot, a passable back up Center, and shore up the scoring on the 2nd unit (easily doable with good role player signings) for 15 mpg.

A PG doesn't have to be as good as Lin offensively, they just need more supporting role players that can score consistently and those aren't exactly expensive.

As for the defensive end, we're unlikely to get a back up Center on the starting unit as good as Asik, however we can get a passable back up center and make up the defensive weaknesses with stronger defenders on the wings and guard spots.

It's easily conceivable that with smart signings of role players (with cap space and trades) that Morey could create a roster that's over all stronger by the time we pass the mid-season trade deadline than we would have been had we retained Parsons.

Honestly, in terms of where we are most at risk it isn't losing Parsons. Ariza's defense is better and he still stretches the floor. He's not the scoring machine that Parsons can be, but you can always find more scoring from other positions.

The losses of Lin and Asik are going to hurt the most.

Last season we had the luxury of having Asik walk on with minimal drop off when Howard got in foul trouble or was healing from injury. He was also available for those rare situations when we needed two bigs on the floor.

We also had the luxury of Lin who was able to fill in similarly for Harden in multiple games, as well as provide our best offensive line ups when we went super small with Harden + Bev + Lin and Bev + Lin, and our strongest guard defensive line ups (Lin + Bev at the 1/2 and Harden covering the 3).

We can end up with a better and deeper roster than we had last season, but it's going to be significantly harder to replace the redundancy of Asik and Lin.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His information is very spotty. He reported the Melo/Love/Kobe workout which was false. He reported that Lebron and Melo were trying to team up with the Lakers which was false. He bought into the whole 50/50 thing with Dwight and the Lakers which was false. He claimed that Dwight was leaning towards the Warriors because he loved Mark Jackson which was false.

CyberX hears a lot of gossip, most of which is either heavily biased towards the Lakers or just not true.

Reports that have been consistently denied and look, no Rondo trade!

One of the least credible reporters out there. He has no inside information.

There were stories that they decided to keep Parsons sure, but there was no substance to the idea that they were ever offered a deal for him that included a star coming back. Rondo was coming off injury and was struggling to get back into the game. Love wasn't available.

Edit: None of that is to say that Morey doesn't like Rondo and hasn't asked about him, but there is nothing to suggest that the Rockets were ever in any real discussions to get him. Woj has said that Ainge wants a king's ransom to move Rondo. Ainge himself has talked about adding to Rondo. The actual actions they've taken indicate they want to add to Rondo, not move him.

I bet they WOULD move him, but it wasn't going to be for 1.5 seasons of Chandler Parsons.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the Rockets really know for sure and I am fine with that. A lot of things will change before now and the trading deadline. Hell, for all we know Ariza will be terrible or Jones will become a top PF. Just too many dynamics at work.

10. anchel

anchel Member

Please, could someone do a small recap of the 610 interview? Would very much appreciate. Thanks.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

At one point Atlanta was one of the teams Morey was talking before trade deadline. Reality?? You don't know what the reality was, unless you were in on the conversation. Millsap is not a superstar. With the right assets, I am sure Hawks will consider the offer. If not Millsap, there were other PF options out there.

My point was, we had absolutely no chance for deep run with Jones at PF and instead of upgrading, we decided to hold on to Asik for the 'right' price.

I will repeat to my OP point: Morey is judged by "results" the minute he signed Dwight, not for his ability to accumulate assets and remain flexibility anymore.

Clocking is ticking...one down, two to go.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Can't recap at work but the jist was, if we match Parsons, we would be locked in with that roster with very little ability to change. Morey believes we need to be a top 10 defense and matching Parsons would make that difficult to achieve.

DM mentioned how Dwight Howard in Orlando was in a similar situation, close to a title but saddled with contracts that prevented them from making any improvements. Morey did not want to put us in that position.

You need an elite 3 players and then put a roster around them, like the Spurs. Matching Parsons would prevent us from getting a third elite player. Paying Chandler would have been fine if we already had our elite core 3.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

When you look at the true SFs out of starting Fowards, and you set a
    minumum defensive rebounding % at 15% and then sort by defensive rating
    you get this:

#1Paul George 17.7% dreb%, drtg 96.3

Trevor Ariza 16% dreb%, drtg 101.2

Kevin Durant 18.4% dreb%, drtg 101.7

Lebron James 18.8% dreb%, drtg 103.5

Nic Batum 17.9% dreb%, drtg 104.8

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Hawks were going into the playoffs with Milsap as their best player. But yeah, sure, they were going to trade Milsap for Asik and gut their team.

15. Raven

Raven Member

If I were a Mavs fan, I'd be asking why Cuban didn't pursue Ariza instead. Parsons might have more upside, but enough upside to deserve a max? Clearly the Mavericks are hoping for Parsons to crank it up a notch. We shall see.

1 person likes this.
  16. vernonmaxwell11

i trust morey more after listening to the 610 rebroadcast. a lot were out of his control. i think a lot of us came into the free agency wishing the best. it didn't help that les was so confident about getting us a third star. and it certainly hurt more that we kept our trust in mchale. that is the one biggest thing that i think morey / les have done that i absolutely disagree with, or maybe just don't understand yet. unless it lands us love, or the players (howard / harden) genuinely want to play for him and would leave otherwise.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, because Morey does not believe a team where Chandler Parsons is your third best player is going to win a championship. If the Rockets matched Parsons, there was virtually no way for the Rockets to add another player as good or better than Parsons.

What is all comes down to is that Morey looked at it and concluded that Parsons at that contract wasn't enough to win a title.

Had there been another way to add additional talent, I am sure they would have kept Parsons.

Look, I wouldn't be stunned if Parsons gets the Mavs a few more wins and may even get to the second round, but what the Mavs have done is destroy all their flexibility the next 3 years, there is now no way for them to improve much for the next three years.

18. vernonmaxwell11

they believe in him. i can see it, but i just don't believe it. he's young and was pretty damn consistent through the regular season. not sure if he ran out of gas in the post season or just couldn't handle the pressure.

19. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes: Not make the playoffs? Come on... that is silly.

Also, he said they would be better by the time they make the playoffs, someone of that is natural maturation of Jones, Canaan and the defensive improvement of Ariza... but if you look at how he worded his comments, it sounds like he expects to make more improvements to the team by the time of the playoffs next year.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks. But Im specially interested on the answer to the question about if he regrets making Parsons a free agent this year... (I heard the audio but couldn't understand exactly what he said :( ) -not my natural language, suffer with phone calls-...