1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey on 790 in the 8:00am hour

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would been the better thing to do.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

Morey is so candid now....it all started with the Lin Jersey incident. He straight up admitted they needed to trade Lin.

Now he's basically saying Harden is atrocious on defense, and Parsons is overpaid. He also said the Harden Parsons Dwight Lineup would never win a championship.

man...:eek: He used to be very reserved in what he said..not this season i guess.

3. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

I was listening to 790 on my way to work and one point of emphasis that apparently didn't get brought up was Kevin McHale. I'm ok with the softball questions about failing in FA because we at least went for it. But c'mon, you sit there and rail on McHale for not understanding how to teach players, and then you don't even bring it up?

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Aaaaaaaaannnndd I'm sad again

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Insightful analysis right there. Ok, let me try to put it in terms even you might understand. Here are the teams I think everyone on here can agree are locks for the Western Conference playoffs(barring catastrophic injuries of course):

Spurs
    Thunder
    Clippers

Here are teams that should make the playoffs(again if they're healthy) based on where their rosters are now compared to a few months ago:

Blazers
    Grizzlies
    Warriors(unless Kerr is a horrible coach)

Now here are the rest of the teams that will likely be battling for the other two playoff spots:

Mavericks
    Rockets
    Suns
    Pelicans
    Nuggets
    T'Wolves(provided they don't deal Love)

It's not inconceivable that the Rockets miss the postseason. Right now, I'd put Dallas ahead of them. The Suns won 48 games last year and could be better. Maybe that was a fluke. But maybe not. And the Pelicans just got Asik from us, so they could take that next step. Plus the T'Wolves weren't bad last year. If they learn to actually win a few of those close games, who knows?

Plus even if we do make it in, we're probably looking at the 6-8 seed. Which means we'll almost certainly be facing the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers in Round 1. Anyone else looking forward to those matchups?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Mooorey was very careful on the question, "better now than last year?" by saying "by the time of the playoffs"...

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why do people keep saying this Milsap meme?

Just because you THINK you could get him doesn't mean you could. If Atlanta was so eager to move Milsap why haven't they?

Atlanta loves Paul Milsap. They weren't going to trade him away for Asik and a bunch of bottom of the barrel first round picks.

8. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Yeah, we've all heard that before. Fool me once...

Bye Daniels

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

+1, he also implied that we have a much better framework for a championship (3 elite defenders in starting 5)

10. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

WHY TRADE Parsons? LOL because he's on a **** contract and is not a player that puts you over the top?

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Cuban didn't win that title with a roster full of bloated, bad contracts. (except maybe Jason Kidd, teehee)

1 Dirk Nowitzki $17,278,618
    2 Tyson Chandler $12,600,000
    3 Jason Terry $10,650,000
    4 Caron Butler $10,561,960
    5 Jason Kidd $8,610,500
    6 Shawn Marion $7,305,500
    7 Brendan Haywood $6,900,000
    8 DeShawn Stevenson $4,151,786
    9 Jose Barea $1,815,000
    10 Brian Cardinal $1,352,181
    11 Rodrigue Beaubois $1,156,080
    12 Dominique Jones $1,110,120
    13 Ian Mahinmi $762,196
    14 Peja Stojakovic $636,320
    15 Steve Novak $384,766
    16 Sasha Pavlovic $134,863

Now, stick Chandler's 15 million in there for perspective on just how bad that contract is...

1 person likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who knows what any team will do over the subsequent months, or even within the season itself.

That's why its important to have FLEXIBILITY... so that if a deal is out there, you have a chance to be in the game.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Morey must be betting on one of the young guys taking a big step forward and increasing their trade value. Here's to a big 18/8 first half of the season for jones. Maybe he'll get more offensive sets with parsons out.

14. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

You're not taking into consideration that harden/jones/bev are young and will continue to improve.
    Also, morey isn't done yet.

I don't see how,on paper, Dallas grizzlies, Portland are better than us. It's arguable at best.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They still won a championship. Everyone can slap Morey on the back for such a great burn on Cuban. He'll get over it by shining the ring that Morey doesn't have.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sure. Maybe at the deadline Atlanta decides to dump Milsap because they aren't going to win and he isn't going to re-sign. I don't know about then.

But the idea that has been perpetuated on this board for months was that anytime we wanted to we could just call up Atlanta and give them Asik and one of the bottom picks in the draft and they'd be thrilled to send us a better, healthier player in Paul Milsap.

17. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

I am glad that this isn't true. When I read we weren't striving to win I was livid. All is better now

18. HCA

HCA Member

Truthfully I knew we screwed up for being loyal and not trading parsons for rondo.

Boston wanted 2 first rounders, parsons and asik for rondo or no deal.

Here is the difference if we made that trade.

+Rondo
    -keeping lin and his fans for 1 more year
    -noh pick
    -rockets pick in 2017
    -Trevor ariza

We ended up losing parsons anyways. I think we could have still got ariza if the lakers were willing to take lin off our hands for free.

Rondo would have made lillard work on both offense and defense. We would not have witnessed that stupid three. I think garcia couldn't have done any worse on batum than parsons.

In the end, i like where we are now. I think lowry should have been our 1st priority because it is so easy to leave Toronto for houston than Miami or ny.

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And he broke up that team in the name of financial flexibility as well. I think that's the key in today's NBA, you have to keep that roster flexibility until you have a "finished product" in order to be aggressive/opportunistic/predatory with respect to talent acquisition.

Let's let this play out, would've been great to keep Chandler but once Bosh committed to Miami, we had to keep our options open to improve our prospects.

Chandler (and Fegan) wanted to make this contract as difficult to match as possible. It is clear where Parsons' head is with respect to joining the Mavs, so have at it. We need to focus on improving our club, and I trust Morey to be aggressive in doing just that.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Now if Morey and Les have abandoned the run and gun system and want to emphasize becoming a lockdown defensive team as their new identity, I'd be ok with that. In fact, I'd prefer that to the current approach which may lead to regular season success, but fails in the playoffs(just ask Damian Lillard).

Obviously that means replacing T-Jones in the starting lineup at the 4(unless he takes a huge leap on the defensive end of the court this season) and demanding Harden actually try. I guess we'll know soon enough based on their upcoming moves. The fact that their #1 free agent target was Melo though makes me think otherwise.