1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 in the 8:00am hour

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. CertifiedTroll

Not sure if your math or grammar is lagging more..

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We're underdogs for Love now, but Rondo is very much in play.

I too worry about Morey's constant spinning carousel roster... but I think after we land that 3rd star he'll chill.

3. HCA

HCA Member

I know the reasons why morey said that and i agree. We will be better on the court and everyone thinks we will suck which is a recipe for winning basketball.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Said it indirectly by citing the youth on our team and how they'll be better next year

5. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Better interview on 610.
    Being grilled

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They don't. At least not compared to other teams. We're not getting Kevin Love, people. If we still had Parsons, I'd give us at least a shot. But what do we have to trade right now? Minnesota doesn't want Ariza. T-Jones is a nice piece, but he's gotta be part of a much bigger package. We have very little on our bench. And that Pelicans pick could be nice, but no one really knows where it'll wind up being.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He didn't hint at it, he flat out said it.

Almost direct quote:
    "We have to be a top 10 defense and we need a really good wing defender next to Harden to have any chance at that."

Morey is a very smart man and he doesn't play pee pee games. He knows Harden is terrible on defense.

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Uuuuum, he DID sign Ariza to help with the inconsistent defense. He almost landed a third star who would have helped with the offensive spacing AND on defense. AND, guess what? There is still lots of offseason left where he has cap flexibility and trade assets (young players, trade exemptions, picks, etc) to go get players to help all the areas you addressed.

How are the Rockets worse? Lin was VERY inconsistent and Asik barely played and certainly didn't help in the playoffs. You still have the same core and are in the position to go after improvements. The roster is not done PLUS young players who have a chance to become better. People need to relax.

2 people like this.
  9. HCA

HCA Member

We have assets AND cap space. We don't have to worry about the player we trade for leaving us because he will love it here once he settles in.

10. conquistador#11

Tjones, NO pick, expiring for rondo? don't think any other teams would have a need for PG, since most have young ones at the helm.

*watch cuban step in at the last second. =/

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Direct quote when discussing young players who will improve:

"We will have Troy Daniels back"

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I love Morey.

I never wanted to match Parsons. Not even if we had gotten Bosh, but I understood why we would.

But after Bosh backed out? HELL NO!!!! No way you match that junk. And I like Ariza anyways. Not going to miss Parsons at all really.

Morey made the right choice. We went for Bosh...It didn't happen...Time to explore other options. I like what Morey is doing and I believe when that third star steps up, we will see a whole lot less roster movement.

In Morey I trust!!!!

13. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Morey "IS" going after a big fish this season with trade assets.
    Says the #1 pick in the Asik deal is similar to the pick that got them Harden.

14. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

You couldn't have traded Parsons for anyone anyway. Dallas made the contract virtually impossible to trade.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was hoping he would talk about small additions right now, like getting a decent backup center who could stretch the floor like Jason Smith, and a backup PG.

It is encouraging that he is planning to make more moves in the future, but that will depend a lot on internal growth. Having the NO pick etc, won't be enough. There are many other teams that will be out there, by the February deadline too.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Oh...and if Dragic is available, I'd rather have him than Rondo....But I'll gladly take Rondo too...

17. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

yeah..dallas is the only team if anything 1 of 2-3 teams in the league who are stupid enough to take on his contract

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I wouldn't say obsessed, but he definitely leans heavily toward roster turnover rather than internal development for growth. But this also fits Les Alexander's mantra of staying competitive while building. There is no time to wait on projects to develop.

He's also afraid to commit to a roster that doesn't have 3 stars. I sense this will be a trend going forward. Matching Chandler would have locked us in and they weren't postiive that would be enough -- some GMs would have matched and prayed that it would work, happy to even be considered a longshot of an NBA champion. Morey wants to be an odds on favorite, or close to it.

Who knows if this philosophy will work out for him, but all we can really do is sit back and watch. I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering we landed Harden and Howard, and he's so good at finding role players (like chandler, Beverly, T.Jones, etc.). He wants that 3rd all star though.