1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Les & Rox REALLY about winning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2014.

1. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I agree that the Rockets may not need its third superstar, but they definitely need a way to upgrade the roster if the current third option and beyond don't work out. Morey already had 3 years to evaluate Chandler's worth to the team. Chandler's contract made it difficult to upgrade the third and fourth options if things don't work out. Morey's plan is consitstent with not wanting to get stuck in mediocrity.

2. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

people are overreacting to the max. morey took a big gambled and lost, but it's not like our team is ruined. we still have TWO superstars, and plenty of teams have gone on to win championships with only two superstars and a strong supporting cast....and not only do we have two superstars, both of these superstars are the best of their position so CHILL. i'm sure, with the freed cap space, morey will sign some decent role players to make our team deeper.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We downgraded that position - both Lowry and Dragic are better than Beverly - that is moving backwards.

Again we are worse now than with all of those other ones - not the right direction here.

Lather rinse repeat.

54 wins last year - and the team's chemistry was only getting better this year if the core was kept together. Our core got worse.

DD

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Forget about winning a trophy, can we beat NO or Dallas now!

5. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

In total agreement here. The virtue of patience is something I'm not sure Morey understands. He definitely has short term patience in regards to trades and such, but tbh, how many consecutive years of growth have any of the recent rocket teams had without a significant addition or subtraction to the core during the offseason? Re-signing Parsons would at least provide the stability needed for secure, albeit slow growth. This upcoming year, the Rockets are going to have to figure out not only how to play with Ariza, but also how to fill in the gaps left by parsons. All so that the options of splashing another "star" or making another game changing room remain. Even if we do get another star, how long will it take to develop chemistry? 1 season, two seasons? By then, Howard's prime might be well gone. I also agree that coaching, organic growth, and chemistry is undervalued by Morey. Sometimes you gotta step back from the numbers and look at the entire picture, and I just don't know if that's happening.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

DD is the oldest consistently wrong poster on this site.

If he was running the team Dan Langhi would have a $15 million contract

7. DaDakota

I have been wrong for sure at times - but if you honestly think this team is better with Ariza than Parsons then we are just not going to agree.

Anyway, I am clearly mad that we made a decision for $$$ over talent, that is not the direction I want the team to be going in Dwight's prime.

DD

8. cml750

cml750 Member

What good is flexibility when we are shunned by every superstar free agent, some of them twice? We all thought that would change with Harden and Howard but this free agency period has proven otherwise. We will end up wasting the rest of Howard's prime waiting on another superstar who will never sign. Sometimes you have to go with what you got and make small adjustments instead of always planning on a future that never comes. Adding Ariza was a step in the right direction if we matched CP25 now we are worse than last year with fewer "ASSETS".

9. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Does anyone know how much cap space we currently have for this offseason left? Lets move on from Parsons and start thinking about who else we can sign this offseason.

10. Raven

Raven Member

You've been saying for years that the Rockets are a lot cheaper than they want the public to believe, and letting Parsons walk is proof that you were right.

Morey was brought in to find cheaper production, and he's done that, but unless Harden slims down, improves his defense, and stops slacking off, the Rockets will not be sniffing the Finals anytime soon, not with their current philosophy.

11. NotChandlerParsons

We've spent a lot of cash over the years on various things to improve the team. Amnestying Scola, buying picks outright, sending out cash considerations to grease trades. Their actions to me indicate they are more interested in flexibility than saving every penny.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tell me DD what was this team's biggest problem last year? Tell me we didn't need a wing defender.

Morey went out and got the best wing defender in free agency not named Lebron James

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

How much time do we have to grow though? Dwight is only gonna be in his prime for 1-2 more years. You're wasting that when you're focusing on cap space for the future instead of going for it and letting the team organically grow together. I'll gladly eat crow if Morey can swing a free agent that moves the needle, but I'm hardly confident in that happening. This offseason was a disaster that really makes me question the overall plan here.

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

There is something to be said for keeping your team together for more than a couple of years and letting them gel.

15. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Honestly, the NBA has always been a business. Unless you have fanatics who are willing to pump millions into their teams (a small minority), most owners/GMs are about putting out the best product at the lowest price for the largest possible ROI.

As they should, since it's their money.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We would have had zero flexibility...that team last year couldnt get out of the first round, even if it amassed 54 wins. It wasnt a championship team. At least, with this route, there is a chance that we can add a real 3rd star next season or at least, better depth. Im not saying it's all happy times, but it doesnt make sense to match Parsons and be stuck as a perennial 4th seed with the possibility of making it to the 2nd round...for the next 3 seasons.

Ariza will be a better fit because he actually brings something this team needs...defense. We have to replace Lin and Asik though. Im more concerned about that than losing Chandler.

17. DaDakota

Coaching & Time together, IMO.

That and a bench - we have plenty of Wing defenders, but our coaching did not hold them accountable to do that.

Do you honestly think that JVG would let Harden and Parsons for that matter slack so much on D?

So, for me, coaching and Time were the biggest missing pieces.

DD

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If you think it was the money you are wrong. Parsons wasn't our 3rd guy. His contract would lock the Rockets up, such that he had to be the 3rd guy. It wasn't just money, he had a player option and a trade kicker. That deal would be locked to us until Dwight left us. This way we might actually have a shot in trade to pick up a third guy, like we did with that bearded guy. What was his name again?

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

We aren't worse. Our team has consistently won more games in each of those seasons. I know we as fans (you especially) have irrational attachment to players but let's be realistic.

Role players can be replaced. We have done it over and over again. We still have solid assets for this year that put us in a position to get more contributing players through trade. Whereas if we signed Parsons, we would not be able to fill multiple holes, just one.

You're also ignoring (as others have mentioned) that Les was willing to pay for both Bosh and Parsons. But Parsons alone being the 3rd option in their opinion was not worth it. I think a lot of us are inclined to believe that to be true after watching Chandler for 3 years.

20. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I agree with this statement.