1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets will NOT match the Chandler Parsons offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2014.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Dammit. He resigned for the Rockets in my 2k14 franchise for about $7mil. :( Now do I start a new franchise without him, or keep living in a fantasy world? Fantasy world it is.

On topic: I don't know what to feel. I'm a bit numb. If you love something, let it go...etc....

2. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Morey is a moron. Plain and simple. Not sure why people continue to defend him. He has made a number of bad moves including three with the same player (Lin - cutting him, giving him a horrible contract, then giving him away along with two draft picks for table scraps). He got rid of Dragic when we saw him coming into his own and most of us really liked him. Yes, he did get us Harden and Howard and that's great. But he's made a number of bad moves too. Also, he is way too focused on metrics and doesn't understand the importance of chemistry. You really think Howard is going to be happy that they traded his best friend on the team and a big reason why he joined the rockets? He will probably leave and re-join Parsons once both of their contracts are up (not coincidentally, at the same time). An utterly horrible/overly aggressive/too metrics oriented GM.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If that happens, we just re-tool again. Remember before Harden dropped magically on our laps, Les had finally agreed to let the team go into tank, err rebuilding mode.

Rockets will have good and bad days. Perhaps this is just to balance out the tremendous good fortune we've had the past two offseasons. The next moves will go our way again ... patience ... faith

4. treeman

treeman Member

Would neg-rep if I could.

5. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Also, you need to be realistic about what sort of team we were last year. We weren't a title contender "if not for miraculous performances by an inferior team." First of all, this isn't like football or the world cup, where one lucky afternoon can have you advance to the next round. Basketball is best of 7. The best team usually wins. The fact that portland only needed SIX games to beat us means we were AT BEST even. They definitely weren't a clearly inferior team.

And even if we beat portland, we would have gotten swept by the spurs or beaten in 5-6 games at best. You are blind if you don't see that. We definitely wouldn't have been a title contender.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm just upset that we lost our best asset for absolutely nothing!!!

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I just woke up to this

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sign-and-trade talks between Houston and Dallas have ended, sources say. So Rockets won't be salvaging trade exception from Parsons' exit</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488487558125719552">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets believed they could create trade exception if Mavs &amp; Parsons agreed to re-do their deal as a sign-and-trade. However ... (1 of 2)</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488487877987549184">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mavs understandably cool on the idea of helping a Texas neighbor escape with a valuable asset. So original offer sheet to Parsons stands</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488488123396284416">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Did everyone forget that we have arguably the best duo in the league? Who's to say we don't improve on last year? Was Parsons a part of the system? I believe in the direction of this team. Our young guys will need to step up but we still haven't reached our peak....

In Morey we trust... I understand the move...

10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Just a horrible offseason thus far. With Parsons & Lin, you at least had 2 guys that could handle the ball and create shots when Harden was sitting. Now what? When James sits, who is going to score for us? I'm all for having 3-D players, but I view them more as 1st off the bench/situational starters. Our offense is going to be awful to watch this year, even with the starters. Bev/Ariza/Jones basically offer NOTHING. And for what? A prayer that Love/Dragic/Milsap will listen in 2015?

I wonder how different this offseason would have been if Lillard missed that shot and we move past the Blazers. Morey is concerned he didn't have a championship caliber team, I counter that the addition of Ariza to last year's squad and a new defense-oriented coach/assistant would have been the perfect moves. Wouldn't be surprised to slip to 6th or 7th seed as Memphis (healthy Gasol + VC) & Dallas (2x Chandler) both improved.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Ok bro, let me put it this way. Morey has assembled the most appealing, attractive, comfortable team EVER in my recent memory when it came to a team propositioning to woo a star free agent.

AND NO ONE CAME.

Melo didn't even bother thinking twice about us, LeBron was never going to come, Bosh had Houston as a Plan E.

Morey concluded that he couldn't be a 3rd star? WOW, does it matter? So Trevor Ariza is just that superstar 3rd fiddle that we were all along looking for?

Look, can Parsons be a 3rd star on this Rockets team with the best SG and best C in the league to win a championship? ABSOLUTELY.

We SWEPT the Spurs 4-0, last season.

But now lets put it another way, PRESUME Parsons is not good enough to be the 3rd star on a title team. Then what? We give up? Give him away for nothing? Now is our team better? Is this what Dwight sacrificed so much for? All this asset wheeling and dealing has only ONE goal in mind, TO GET A PLAYER OF PARSONS CALIBRE generated from the conversion of much lesser assets, either by trade, or other means. And now we have the exact player we are looking for, and we give him away for NOTHING? NOTHING??!! NOTHING?!?!?!

Trade? Do we NEED to trade him? Can't he just play for us and we can improve in other ways other than to trade our young, talented, 17/6/4 star SF in this current era of voluptuous frenzy of mega-overpaid role players?

Why do we even bother spending so much energy and time on getting a second round pick here and there? Why do we care if he is good enough to be the 3rd star or not on a championship team?? HE MAKES THE TEAM BETTER. Period.

Is James-Wade-Bosh good enough for a championship? NO? OH NO THEN WE MUST TRADE ONE OF THEM AWAY!!!!!!

I could go on about this forever, but I will just leave it here. He makes us closer to that championship than any other option would, and we let him go for money savings.

Even in the slightest chance that you and Morey's argument has the most negligible chance of being invalidated, then the best case outcome is: We waste one year of Harden and Howard's prime while getting another superstar in 2015 that has zero guarantee of a championship. I would much rather have a bird in hand than 2 in the bush. And those 2 in the bush does not mean a championship anyways.

12. joepu

joepu Member

You can write a whole book on why it all makes sense but one big fact trumps everything. Another year of Dwight's prime down the drain.

13. JazzLakerHater

The worst thing is, I actually think Parsons will be a better player in Dallas now that he has an actual coach who, you know, actually runs plays. Can we please get rid of McHale for the love of god.

14. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

lawl blew up the team

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Morey should just accept last minute. What the hell. Morey couldn't just have threatened Mark Cuban that if they didn't turn this into a S&T, he'd just match the offer?

16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Gah..........................

:mad::mad::mad:

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

50 of Morey's "shrewed", "sneaky", "long-term foresight" trades gets us to a Chandler Parsons.

Now we give him away for NOTHING.

Gosh I am so going to hold my breathe for the next 50 future second rounders that Morey will be going to war for.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

18. thejav

thejav Member

Ariza better defender and better 3 point shooter for half the price. good move my Morey.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Well TOO BAD!! YOU CANT, FOOL. So just STFU.

20. Abadfish

Abadfish Member