1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The real choice today: Chandler/Ariza or Ariza/Love or Millsap or Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Which combo would you choose?

1. Chandler/Ariza

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Love/Ariza

57 vote(s)
    69.5%
  3. Millsap/Ariza

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Rondo/Ariza

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Obviously, the plan to get Bosh or Carmelo failed, due to the way it played out, not because Morey didn't do his best. People make choices, and even though we positioned ourselves for the best outcomes, it didn't go our way. Stuff happens.

I'm having a hard time with us not keeping Chandler, I admit, because he has grown so fast, and none of us know his ceiling. But, its hard to fault him for taking advantage of the way the market turned nicely his direction.

But, the Rockets can't do a panic move here, or get caught in a fight with Cuban. The Rockets are staying on track with what they believe is their best chance to win a championship.

We don't know other options that are possible here behind the scenes. Clearly the Rockets are pursuing Kevin Love, and if signing Chandler eliminates our ability to trade for Love, Ariza brings more defense than Chandler, and the combo of Love/Ariza is better than Jones at PF with Chandler at SF with Ariza backing up.

If, this Summer or Fall, we can get Love, Millsap or Rondo by not bringing back Chandler, that will be a better team.

We need to focus on the important objective, not the tyranny of the urgent.

(... still hurts losing Chandler ... :( )

2. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Yes, everybody is obviously disappointed, myself included. But all we really needed was to replace Asik n Lin with PG n PF, (if we strike out on the 3rd star) + bench moves. We can still do that, most of us wanted Lin n Asik gone to use that cap space for a descent PF and/or PF anyways.

I like Parsons but 15 mill is way 2 much, + we got Ariza for 8 mill.

I still think we might be ok.

3. cebu

cebu Member

4. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I was thinking this too but per feigen we aren't making moves for any of those guys this year which is what I have a problem with. We don't have a year to screw around hoping for a FA to sign next year.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I am upset that we aren't able to retain Chandler, but I understand the business reasons why. Everyone is attached to certain players and what we expect. We can't build a team like a video game in real life. Morey has a job to do that with every single move you are going to have some benefits or drawbacks in the future.

He has to minimize all the drawbacks as best he can and make sure we are in a position to compete for a long time coming.

We didn't get a 0 return with the loss of Chandler. We got someone who can fill that gap and at least provide us with what we need. Howard and Harden will do their thing and we will need Ariza to concentrate on D and hit the open 3 when the ball gets to him.

Chandler became more of an offensive threat but his shooting wasn't that great from behind the arc and his defense suffered because of all the offense. Lets take a look at all of this when the season starts and we have won or lost some games to see how it all will play out.

Remember we still have to fill the team with depth. Have we not learned anything from the Spurs, in that if you have solid players up and down your rosters you can beat high profile guys. Team work trumps all and we just need to let things work themselves out.

having said that, I don't like Mchale and I think that is an achilles heel for us and there is a lot more than just depth we have to worry about before being compared to the Spurs, but the blueprint is there.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have zero optimism that we're going to get a big name player soon. If we do, it will be a complete surprise. Who's on our roster, anyway? I've forgotten, there's been so much turnover.

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'm more mad about not keeping Chandler at under $1mil this season than I am about not matching him.
    But that's the risk Morey took to try and build a team with Parsons and a max guy.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If its possible to get Love, Millsap or Rondo, it will be in trade, not FA. Of course, if none of those turn out, we want to position ourselves for KD, etc. But, from my understanding, we've been in various discussions at times for those players in trade, which I'm sure is still important, if it creates a championship contender.

10. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Well I mean obviously I picked Ariza/Love, but do we really have the assets to make that happen now? Even without including Wiggins, it seems like Cavs are much better suited for a trade, offering young players. I really don't see anyway we can get that done and we are not in a position to wait til summer. Players took less to play here, we need to keep them happy.

11. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

By the time Morey gets a 3rd star our current stars will be old.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets best trade asset right now is T.Jones. I'm fairly confident the Rockets aren't getting K.Love if that's their best offer.

13. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

How can I get on the Rocket's payroll?

What else can explain this type of optimism?

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Current roster

Beverley/Canaan
    Harden/Johnson
    Ariza/Gee
    Jones/Covington/Powell
    Howard/Motiejunas

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What a utter mess.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Whatever happened with Bledsoe? Can we offer him max?

17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

You're right, feigen said no more FA acquisitions. I HOPE that means he's still looking at trades NOW. I fully understand why he'd decline parsons if he planned to bring in a player through trade that was making $12m +. He wouldn't have been able to fill out the roster with a traded player making that much and parsons. But if he doesn't plan to do that now, then this was just a cost saving move which as a fan sucks.

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I just don't see where the assets are coming from to make a trade for a love or rondo

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

man our depth is **** now...We could come in scratching and clawing for an 8th spot with how tough the western conference is. If this is it, this is our roster, we will really depend on James & Dwight to grow together and make everyone else around them better.

20. carlos

carlos Member

I am getting tired of Morey blowing up or trying to blow up the roster every year. chemistry gets built over time and you need to have a mix of vets and rookies. I say keep Chandler and try to bring along some rookies and perhaps some still serviceable vets that get cut just before the season. :mad: