1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is now the scapegoat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The player most likely to perform worse than he's paid. Nine times out of ten, it's Parsons. Unless he gives us exactly what he gave us last season plus excellent defense, he's not going to give us $15m of value.

I'll definitely be taking to Twitter to remind him of that every time he under-performs. It's not personal, it's just fandom right? Can't deny someone money they've earned, but you can certainly tell them how you feel when they're not playing up to the $$$'s.

2. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Seriously Morey has the potential to become one

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Clutchfan posters.

Do we always have to blame someone?

This board is a great place to enjoy everything Rockets related no matter where you are in the world.

Why bring the negative energy into everything?

Just enjoy that the Rockets organization is still doing everything they can do to bring the city back to relevancy.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

McHale - and for good reason.

6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Morey. He has been driving Lin to the ground ever since he beat him in ping pong.

7. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I blame the education system

8. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Parsons. obviously. that contract in stupendous.

9. HCA

HCA Member

Something called cap space, salary cap, max contract. They mean something. That is why I did not care about how much les had to pay lin and asik. All that mattered to me were their cap hits.

10. HCA

HCA Member

The reason why most clutchfans, including myself, hardly ever blamed parsons for a loss when he sucked is because he was a second rounder making less than 1'mil. It is bad taste to blame him.

Now, I will blame Cuba. There was once a day when I thought batum was overpaid.

11. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Clutch sums it up nice. No more free pass for Parsons. None.

Dude gonna get flamed so hard he will realise how Lin felt all along.

Hope i am wrong but i just don't see him outperform his contract this time.

12. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Scapegoat implies that we will fail. I don't believe we will. This isn't like last year. Even last offseason I thought we were still a year away because Howard's signing took away all depth.

This year is different. Even without Bosh, we will have depth. We will have flexibility in lineups. We will have the ability to upgrade at the trade deadline. And we will succeed. Maybe not finals, but I believe we can get to WCFs. Which will not be a failure and therefore there will be no need to find scapegoats.

But in case I'm wrong...

Clearly the guy who was douching it up with King Douchebag this offseason.

14. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

Parsons. I think Ariza is going to end up taking some of Parsons shots. Harden will always get his 15-20 shots and Lin was so passive last year Parsons took more shots which gave his stats a boost.

15. roidrage

roidrage Member

Guys parsons is not worth that money.....He is not or ever will be an all star....rockets should have known bosh was a flake.....He has is two rings and is done competing for them..

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm quite sure that Harden has already become the scapegoat, and it began with the playoffs last year.

When he's killing the Spurs, no one seems to complain about his calm demeanor. All of a sudden the shots don't go in, Portland grabs him every time he tries to go to the hoop, and we're calling Harden names like "anterior pelvic tilt" and blaming his affinity for strip clubs as the reason for why he does not care enough about the game.

17. delta69er

delta69er Member

Your mom

:grin:

All jokes aside, it's still and always will be James Harden.

Even though Chandler got that "ridiculous contract" he won't absorb as much of the blame as there will be no COF vs COH battles

18. torocan

torocan Member

Parsons is in a no win scenario with some fans, same as Lin was during his tenure on the Rockets.

Parsons contract was a result of the FA market. He was given an offer for maximum money and he signed it. It wasn't like he's the one that sets the market any more than Lin was the guy that created the market for his contract (RFA, shortage of PG's available).

Most everyone has a set of expectations of Parsons likely career trajectory... I would wager that most of us do not peg him as a $15M/year player. Yet suddenly he's making $15M/year yet needs to become a $15M/year player or he is under performing?

That's ludicrous logic

Since when does your pay scale suddenly transform your ceiling? The Market dictates your paychecks but it doesn't dictate your ceiling.

Yet suddenly people act as if Parsons should be held responsible for how much money is given to him by GM's and will tear him down for every mistake.

The best course of action for Parsons is to ignore his contract and simply look at him for what he is... a talented young player with significant upside, that may become a fringe all star but is unlikely to become a perennial all-star.

The amount of money he gets paid shouldn't change that, any more than the peculiarities of Lin's RFA Gilbert Arena's contract (back loaded, poison pill) should have influenced people's perspective on his development curve.

Parsons got a premium for similar reasons to Lin's premium... when you want to pry a RFA away from a team, you need to OVERPAY. Morey put out more money than was normally reasonable because the Knicks were intending to match. Cuban put out more money than was normally reasonable because the Rockets were intending to match.

Overpay by definition means that it's unlikely for Parsons to perform to par value on a dollar vs talent basis.

If you thought that Parsons was a $10M or $12M player, then accept that's what he is. If he plays up to $15M, great. However, the amount of 0's on a piece of paper won't suddenly transform him into a greater player.

The Rockets are behind the 8-ball... they need his talent, they have a limited contention window, and there are no readily available substitutes that you can acquire without hurting the team.

The decision of considering whether to pay Parsons for $15M is much like being low on gas and seeing a sign that says, "Last station for 100 miles". You KNOW that you're going to pay a premium to fill up, but you know that if you don't fill up you might end up stranded in the middle of nowhere on Empty.

Though you'll overpay, that doesn't change the fact that you probably still need to fill up.

Parsons is NOT a franchise player. The FO doesn't think he's a franchise player. Cuban doesn't think he's a franchise player. He WILL be paid like a franchise player.

In the end, as long as he delivers what could have been reasonably expected of him PRIOR to his become a FA, he shouldn't be the scapegoat.

Unfortunately, many people tend to view players through the lens of the contract regardless of context.

While Parsons should NOT be the scapegoat, some people will scapegoat him anyway. That's unfortunate, as they'll be missing the rather enjoyable ride of seeing a young player going through their expected growing pains.

And those of us who will argue on his behalf will soon enough be labeled "POF's"...

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Harden and Mchale. I will stand by Morey the same way I stood by Tmac til he gave up on us.

20. recadna

recadna Member

Parsons. Wait until he does the pump fakes and shoot 5-15 again....