1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Let Parsons go, get Ariza

2. houactuar

houactuar Member

In hindsight, should have used team option to keep parsons cheap. It was a gamble. And parsons has 40 million reasons to laugh all the way to the bank.

But he is not worth that much money. So I will laugh at dirk and Cuban when they miss the playoffs next year.

3. houactuar

houactuar Member

Will it be contract year ariza or non contract year ariza?

4. calcium

calcium Member

I saw it being commented somewhere that there was some agreement
    that this happened cos his agent got DH12 to come over.

His agent also happens to be DH12's agent.

No idea any truth behind this.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hey we all make predictions around here and I believe we will make it past the 1st round.

I also believe we will match the offer, so Parsons will be a Rockets.

Morey isn't done yet, we might have stuck out on Bosh but there are plenty of quality FA out there vstexas.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

^ This x1000

7. Remii

Remii Member

Actually I put all of the blame on McHale and Morey. You don't throw out the baby _ you throw out the bathwater.

You guys wasn't listening when Cuban compared Rick Carlisle to McHale. Dallas was one of the best teams in the playoffs. San Antonio got "lucky" getting by them. Coaching makes a difference.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Meant to say Parsons shoulders some of the blame as well Remii.

9. HOUSTONROCKETS5

They'll probably match, Dwight the other day on twitter seemed pretty adamant about us keeping Parsons.

Also 14.7 mill is roughly about the same amount Luol Deng made last year. It's manageable for your third best player, not to mention Parsons isn't done developing.

The guy clearly showed in his rookie season that he could defend, he just need's combine the effort he showed on the defensive end in his rookie year, with the offense he has now.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't make a prediction that we wouldn't get out of the 1st round _ I made the prediction that Parsons will be good in Dallas with that team. And Asik should be good in Orleans being a bodyguard for Davis... That's a beast front court. We made two teams in our division stronger.

11. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

I think the choice is simple. You CANNOT allow Dallas to improve while we get weaker. You sign a free agent or two with remaining cap space and match Parsons. Then you package a few picks, a few players for another upgrade. That is as simple as it gets at this point... Left with few options.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Match and use him in package to get Love or Durant later on when it's allowed.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Instead, the Rockets could believe it will be better to sign another free agent to a more manageable contract, let Parsons go and begin the work on filling out a dramatically diminished rotation.

The Rockets on Friday had been in contact with the agents for Trevor Ariza and Luol Deng, speaking to Deng’s agent during the day even before Bosh’s decision on Friday in case they missed on Bosh and had to use some of their cap room on someone else. As with Parsons, Deng and Ariza ideally play small forward indicating the Rockets might be ready to move on.

Paul Pierce has shown serious interest and would likely not be as costly as Ariza or especially Deng, but it was unclear if his interest was in joining a contender that the Rockets were thought to be putting together with Bosh.

Each was expected to make decisions quickly, with Ariza considering a return to Washington and Deng also considering the Heat among others. The Rockets could try to sign a free agent and then match the offer sheet to keep Parsons, using their Bird right to keep him.

If the Rockets match the offer for Parsons before signing anyone, his contract would fill the Rockets cap room and end the pursuits of most other free agents.

Yet for all the disappointment of Friday’s developments, if the Rockets keep Parsons, they would return the starting five from last season’s 54-win team and have several tools to rebuild the bench.

If the Rockets match Parsons offer sheet, staying over the salary cap, they would keep their starting lineup and the young prospects on the bench, would have a mid-level exception (worth $5.3 million the first season), the bi-annual exception (worth $2.1 million), a trade exception (worth $8.37 million) from the Lin deal and the Pelicans first-round pick in the next season it falls between the 10th and 20th picks of the draft.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-bosh-with-5-year-deal/#24500103=0&24952101=0[/rQUOTEr]

14. Remii

Remii Member

The contract Parsons signed makes him not a good tradeable asset. No trade clause in his 1st year and he can opt out in his 3rd year. Cuban and Parsons agent drew that contract up so Morey can't flip Parsons in a trade if he brings him back.

I believe Cuban and agents colluded together to screw Morey this year because of his shady tactics. Just because Morey is king of Houston _ outside of Houston people don't think highly of him.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I thought the pick from NOLA was between 4 or 5 and 20?

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I believe its 5-19.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

My bad 4-19

In a deal aimed at clearing salary-cap space, the Rockets will receive a 2015 first-round pick from the Pelicans, according to multiple media outlets. The draft pick included in the deal has protections. It will go to the Rockets if it falls between picks 4-19, ESPN reported. The Rockets also will include $1.5 million in cash as part of the deal.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2014/06/new_orleans_pelicans_reach_dea.html

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

This actually makes me feel better, thanks. Our starting 5 would stay solid - maybe even elite with another year of playing together if Jones and Parsons can continue to improve their game. Even without a trade the MLE should help, the TE and the Pelicans pick could come really handy at the trade deadline.

And we still have some young talent. It would be nice if DMO finally "gets it". Nick Johnson looks good, we might want to get some of our euro guys over.

We missed the shortcut to a title, but we still have a young team with lots of talents and lots of tools. Now sign Parsons - having him on the team and the ability to work over the cap will help us a lot more than the capspace. We are all in for the next 3 years anyways, so let's bet the house on him.

1 person likes this.
  19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We will get stronger to Remii.

Show some patients good sir.

20. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Whens the deadline?