1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons betrayed us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

the NBA is a business. Go back to college basketball if you want less money. There the NCAA takes everything anyways.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Loyalty is a two-way street, unless you are Darryl Morey. :eek:

3. MisterMister

MisterMister Member

Yes Parsons betrayed us 100%,no way Morey declined option with knowledge that Parson would pull a dirty Boozer on us.Use your mind and not your heart.Hope we make them wait 72 hours,if we sign Bosh or not and don't match,boy can't play 0.9 seconds of defense and got owned by Nick all six games in playoffs.With him and Dirk on floor together Mavs will be easy to score on.If it was anyone but Parson there would be hate in every thread with his name in it.Not worth 15 million,let him walk.Lot of SFs with better shot and D

4. pass_to_Hakeem

I don't think Parsons was gonna tell Dallas "hey guys can you hold off a littłe while longer on your offer, Houston is trying to land Bosh!" ... C'mon fella!

5. "Snosrap

"Snosrap Member

Chandler is a RFA.

He can sign to whichever offer that allows him and his family to improve their quality of life in the best possible way.

It’s always a challenging situation during free agency.
    Oral Promises made is not binding and subjected to change in favor of the promisor.

1)45M/3
    2)15 percent trade kicker
    3)A player option after the second year

Cuban gave Chandler a concrete offer on a legal binding contract.
    Morey gave Chandler an idea "he will be paid" (maybe with a figure made known to him?)

Based on how hasty Chandler (with advise from his agent) put the pen on the contract, it will not be gullible to think how much superior Cuban's offer is to Chandler..

Compare this to Morey's initial idea of "Chandler you will be paid reasonably, please wait for us!" Put yourself in Chandler's shoe and which will you chose?

Bottom line
    “It’s just math. It’s not personal. Sometimes it creates challenging situations but In reality, this is business as usual in the NBA."

See, it work both ways!

6. Oracle

Oracle Member

I really don't understand how you think. Parsons did in no way betray Houston. That is outright ridiculous way of thinking. It was the Rockets that made him a RFA. That was a gamble and it came out this way. If Houston wants to keep him, just match the offer and Parsons doesn't go anywhere. It is not Parsons decision at all! The only problem Houston has is getting Bosh also or not. Nobody knows at this point if Bosh is even available. So, if the Rockets want Parsons, he plays with the Rockets. Simple as that.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Stop acting like a 6 year old girl... this is the NBA, happens all the time...

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Parsons betrayed us? Get real. He was massively underpaid, got an opportunity to get paid and took it. Morey said we would match any offer, so he probably had a feeling he would stay.

Timing? Chances are Cuban gave him a deadline. And why shouldn't he? The Mavs can't sign anyone while we are on the clock - they are missing out on FAs right now. And Cuban doesn't want to help us in any way.

Of course Parsons signed the offer sheet - and pretty much every poster on here would've done the same. I am happy for him. Now it is up to Morey and Les to show their "loyalty". They knew this was possibly happening. They probably hoped for a 12 million per year contract, but 15 isn't that much more - and we will be over the cap anyways.

So stop feeling betrayed or blaming him.

9. ribbit

ribbit Member

Betrayal? Probably. Parsons could have called up Morey and told him what was happening before signing. We don't really know the whole story. Maybe Parsons did give DM a call. Or maybe, Fegan is really the one to blame. Or maybe, Cuban spiked Parsons' drink. (Don't take the last one seriously). But, I don't blame him. I would probably sign that offer, too. But I would have given DM a call first.

Pro basketball career is 15, 20 years tops. And you will not earn a consistent 15 mil a year throughout. And there's the risk of career-ending injuries.

10. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

I can think of absolutely no reason why he shouldn't go for it. The Rockets let him try out the market, and now we expect him to stay humble and loyal? There's only so many John Stocktons and Reggie Millers in the NBA. We can't expect players to be stay with an organization just for sentimental reasons. If you want to support a team in the NBA, better come to terms with the fact that you're actually rooting for the logo, owner, name, etc. Not players. Players don't give a **** where they're playing, as long as they get minutes and (more) money.

See LeBron James, Omer Asik and to some extent Dwight Howard for reference.

11. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

Does anybody think that Parsons signing with the Mavs is a good thing for the Rockets? It puts pressure on Bosh to make a decision. Because of the steps we need to take to acquire Bosh and re-sign Parsons, Bosh cannot continue to simply wait for LeBron. This puts him on the clock. And maybe he makes a decision before LeBron reveals his to the world? Or maybe I am just kidding myself. I hope not.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Getting 2nd rounders as good as Parsons is hard to do. Who else have the Rockets picked up in the 2nd round that has been as good as Parsons? I think you have to go back to Cutino Mobley to find a Rockets 2nd rounder as good as Parsons and that's even open to debate.

With the Rockets trying to win now, your not looking to develop a 2nd rounder, your looking for a proven starter. If the Rockets sign Bosh and let Parsons walk, who is your starting 3? Don't say Ariza or Deng or Stephenson because you will not have the money to pay those guys. The only reason the Rockets can afford to sign Bosh and then match Parsons is because they have Parsons bird rights.

And to the OPs original question. IMO, Daryl did Parsons a solid and from the outside Parsons appears to have not returned the favor. Of course I have no idea how the Rockets negotiations with Parsons went. For all we know Daryl told him to go out and sign the best offer he could and the Rockets would match after they sign Bosh or not.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He did not betray the organization. He waited a decent amount of time. Lebron is just holding up the FA market too long. He went for the best contract.

However, with the fans, it's a different story. He should know DAL is probably the worst team to sign with from a Rockets' fan point of view. I hope Morey doesn't match, and we boo him when he first gets to play here. No thank you videos either.

I liked Parsons during his 1st year. But last year with his modeling and all, his head got too big, he started thinking he was star material. This will be a hard wake-up call for him. based on your contract, people will evaluate your game differently.

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Hell no be didn't betray us. His first loyalty is to himself.

15. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Man I can't get over this feeling that Chandler did rockets dirty. Even if rockets bring him back I'm going to look at him differently. How is he going to convince Dwight to take less money and come here just a year ago and now bounce. I know this happens all the time in the nba but somehow I didn't expect this from him. I've heard morey say in person that Chandler and is player he is closest with and communicates the most with.

#55 Horry33, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He owes us nothing. He has played his ass off for us since rookie year. He deserves the contract he got. I just hope we match that offer. He is Mr intangibles and we need more like him on our team. It is not Parson's fault that our coach has no idea what to do defensively. When we get that assistant coach he'll be right up there.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Very well put. Excellent analysis. Do these folks whining about loyalty really believe that Morey wouldn't have shipped out Parsons next year at the drop of a hat despite his showing them loyalty this year?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point it may be best to let him walk unless bosh signs quickly.

I wanted us to sign Bosh and match him,but he chose to sign the offer ASAP. I'm not mad at him for doing so, but he knowingly put the Rockets in a tight spot. We may want to match and pay him the money, but as is it simply isn't practical. If it comes down to Bosh or Parsons with the cap space, Bosh is simply a much better player.

He owes the Rockets nothing, getting paid was his primary goal, regardless of who paid him.

19. conquistador#11

come on guys, just turn the other cheek.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

So we get bosh and have a glaring hole at SF? Deng, Ariza, and all those players will not be cheaper than parsons.