1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In retrospect: Should we have taken Parsons' option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardLin, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Should we have taken Parsons' option?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

116 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. James88

James88 Member

The fact that this poll is actually 53 votes vs 53 votes right now, is evidence that democracy is doomed to fail.

Really?! Really?!

2. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Cuban's made a few desperate "win-now" moves this off-season. Re-acquiring Tyson Chandler, going after CP. It's all to show Dirk his appreciation for coming back at a reduced price and demonstrating his commitment to winning before Dirk retires.

The Mavs blind-sided the Spurs this past playoffs and pushed them the furthest to elimination, plus they already have a solid coaching staff in place. Everyone's been talking about OKC, Clips, Spurs, and GS that Dallas has been flying under the radar.

Cuban's doing the smart thing. He realizes he's not getting LeBron / Bosh / Melo and is going straight to the next best thing while all the other teams are fighting for a piece of the pie.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I will answer in 72 hours

4. torocan

torocan Member

Cuban is doing the best he can with what's available.

Dirk isn't getting any younger and his window is closing fast, so Cuban is going all out to get him as much help as he can for one last championship run. He struck out on Melo, Lebron and will probably miss on Bosh so the alternative is make the strongest play for Parsons/similar player or go back to Dirk and tell him that he took a $10M pay cut for nothing.

The contract is constructed in a way to make it as hard as possible for the Rockets to match, which should be the goal if you're truly going after a RFA. And because Dirk is on a timer, they're going all in on the short term so paying a premium to ensure they get their target is minor compared to the cost of wasting an entire season of payroll in NBA purgatory.

I'm sure for Cuban that getting to screw Morey is just a bonus. A bonus he's fully enjoying, but just a bonus nonetheless.

5. sutton

sutton Member

I bet some ppl don't understand what "deline Parson's option" means, should make it pay 1M or risk 46M, then ppl will vote it right like a informed citizen.:p

6. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Yeah, but who's to say that either of those guys would WANT to play in Houston; aside from DH, its not like FA's are flocking to come play for Houston. I must have been delusional thinking that once we got our two superstars that Houston would be the top destination for any and all ring chasers.

Even if Morey could get one of those other guys to sign, how do we know that its not going to cost close to what CP and GH are signing for? Since everyone was gearing up to chase LBJ, there are several teams that have cap room to sign a FA which, from the way things are tuning out, they are going to use to overpay one of the tier 'B' wings considering how overinflated the market is for those guys right now.

I worry that its going to play out like the Dragic/Lin situation did where Houston ended up paying a lesser player practically the same as the guy they let walk.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If Tyson and Parsons are their big FA moves, then Dirk might as well retire, cause that window be closed.

8. torocan

torocan Member

It's not ideal but who else was out there for them to get? 30 teams in the NBA, there's only 1 winner in every trade/signing.

9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I'm 100% sure he didn't overlook that possibility. He and his team is smart enough to predict all such outcomes. The problem is he took the gamble and failed. I don't know why he didn't take that handshake agreement from Parsons:

"CP, are you sure you won't sign any offer until we land a 3rd superstar?"
    "Sir yes sir"

It's entirely possible they did make that agreement, but then why did DM lowball Parsons?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I still maintain by my original reaction to the news that this was a quid pro quo stemming from us dealing with Dan Fegan and Dwight Howard. And Cuban, a known friend of Fegan and the reason why Dwight even went to Dallas last year, being the guy to offer Parsons this type of contract was also predicted by me.

http://rafer.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9055330&postcount=78

In the end it's the price of Dwight Howard. If this means we pay Parsons an extra $15mil than he's worth, then it's more than worth it because Dwight is a superstar.

11. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

Have you looked at the state of America? Democracy has failed in respect to politicians actually doing their jobs.

12. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

I think it was a good gamble to decline and try to resign him at like 10mil a year, but f**king Gordon Hayward and his deal screwed us (in terms of market value).

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Why do people keep saying this nonsense? Yes, it's Les' money, not ours. But it's still NOT free money.

1. We don't know if Les is REALLY willing to pay Lux tax
    2. Even if he is, we don't know how much he's willing to pay
    3. Most rich men didn't get rich for no reason. They cherish every penny...

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chandler is a grade A THOT

15. sutton

sutton Member

Plus Fegan had a history with Mchale, who treated Parson like a second son.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No:

1) He would have counted less against the cap going into FA this year
    2) Team could have traded him
    3) They could have offered him a max extension if they were willing to pay him that much that wouldn't kick in until next season.

Morey figured he could beat down Chandler's price by being restricted, but there were just too many teams with cap space compared to too few legit max players.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Hayward's contract had stone cold zero bearing on Parsons. Cuban (or anyone else) was not going to give him an offer sheet that Morey would be excited to match. "Fair value" would have done the Rockets a solid and Cuban no good. It's just like our "poison pill" deals we used to snag Lin and Asik. You come up with as nasty a contract as you can to dissuade the team holding the rights. Overvalue money, player option, trade kicker. Anything you can think of to make Morey cringe.

Morey had to weigh the risk of letting Parsons be unrestricted next year. He took the gamble that retaining a right to match would give him more control. Parsons was playing for pennies the last several years with Morey telling him it's a business. Parsons had no moral obligation to give a discount now.

Let's see this play out though.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Because he doesn't think Parsons is a 15M a year player???

20. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

i think it's all good because we are clearly underpaying parsons, it's a move that shows class about this organization, besides lin is getting about 8.5 m a year, don't tell me parsons is not twice as good as lin.....