1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers, Rockets engaged in "fluid trade talks" about Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketInfoMan, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

dat kevin martin his 6'7 good for nothing noodle ass all i remember from his is lighting up the cavs and disappearing into the floorboards with every 4th quarter

2. Chamillionaire

Are you seriously comparing Lin to Dragic? Did you watch Dragic play this year? How about when he was with us?

Dragic is a beast. We should've given him his stupid player option.

Morey's been good, but he's far from perfect.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

No we shouldn't have.

It was the correct decision at the time. Just like it was the correct decision to cut Lin over Flynn.

You don't make decisions with a crystal ball.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You are clueless.

5. Chamillionaire

No, we should've given him the player option.
    He's basically earning as much as Lin, but he's an all-star.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he's playing above contract value and Lin is playing below contract value.

Morey simply wanted a 3 year deal for a cause he didn't want to sacrifice flexibility for the 2015 FA.

One player got a 3 year contract, the other wanted a 3 year plus player option.

Hinesight is 20/20, If Morey knew we would land Harden maybe he gives Dragic the option, but the circumstances of Lin's offer, raising to ward off nyk, possibility of running 50/70 PnR and playing to his strengths before the Harden trade went through meant the offer was obviously inflated.

Once the circumstances changed, it was obvious Lin had to adjust his game. He has struggled immensly to do that.

But you do NOT play the game with a crystal ball.

You make decisions based on the best judgement and information at the time, you don't offer deals that hamper long term flexibility to 2nd tier stars that failed to carry you down the stretch.

It's almost as rediculous as the poster who said oh wait, Morey offered dwight howard a p/o, why not dragic!? that reeks of LOF type praise. At the time with no franchise cornerstone in sight, you don't offer contracts like that. Nobody anticipated Dragic elevating his game the way he did.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Morey wanted Dragic, option or not.

It's that other guy that wanted Lin.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You are right, anything is possible. With Lin as 1st option, I have no doubt that he would have single handedly taken the Rockets to the WCF.

Afterall, he took the Knicks from being a D League team to the playoffs in the super competitive Eastern Conference. Not only that, but before he got "injured" a Lin led Knicks team were the favorites to win it all.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely. By not having Lin be the first option we have probably left a couple of NBA titles on the table. It's a shame we have so many people on the Rockets payroll working against the success of the team.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that Morey is clinging on to Lin and Asik, because he is unsure of the direction that the big FA's are going to take.

An alternate explanation, could be the inability of NO to move a player to complete the Asik trade, and a complete inability on Houston's part to move Lin.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm fairly certain that HOU/NO have moves lined up to create enough room to put Asik on the Pelicans. For instance, I'd be shocked if the Pelicans couldn't get at least a decent second rounder for Austin Rivers any time they wanted. They also want to see where the cap actually comes in at (expected today or tomorrow) before making a particular move.

12. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

I also believe Lin was Les Alexander's decision to sign from NYK. Morey and McHale have done everything to try to prove Alexander that it was the wrong decision. I don't hold that against Morey or McHale, that's their prerogrative. It's shame Lin got caught between this powerplay between Rockets FO and owner. Lin has shown that despite being marginalized and played sub-optimally, he is still a pretty productive player and not a disruptive influence in the locker room.

I have nothing against the Rockets and hope they get their 3rd star and Lin can start with a clean slate elsewhere. It's probably best for both parties.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Your username will suit you will next week.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm still trying to figure out what "fluids" are being traded

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think Morey or McHale are purposely doing anything to try to prove Les wrong. There is no institutional marginalization going on.

When acquired, the entire Rockets organization expected Lin to be the primary ballhandler on a bad team, putting up flashy numbers and keeping the fanbase interested during a rebuild. Morey was fairly open about [the Rockets expecting not to be very good] at the time.

It's just that the Rockets were able to acquire a superior player (Harden) shortly afterwards with a similar offensive skillset to Lin and who needs the ball in his hands.

Just a crappy turn of events from Lin's perspective. Nothing more.

But I agree that Lin has handled himself through all this with a great deal of class, which is a major reason why I really do like him. I wish him nothing but the best on his next team and actually HOPE that (if he gets dealt) he goes to Philly, since I'm really rooting for the Sixers rebuild to succeed.

16. Chamillionaire

Wait so, not giving the player option was the right move?
    I disagree, he was worth risking flexibility. Sometimes you gotta roll the dice.

I understand we don't play with a crystal ball. If that's the case, I'm sure Morey would've kept Dragic, not picked White, and picked Leonard over MM.

17. Chamillionaire

"Basketball" reasons.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston's Jeremy Lin trade still has not left the tarmac. Source says deal only goes in motion once Rockets secure free-agent commitment.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/486520254752100352">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. team5

team5 Member

I wish there were more mature, meaningful posts like this on this forum, less hate/love drama.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I can't wait to see Jeremy's #7 hanging in the Toyota Center Rafters.