1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Not to mention, regardless of the fact that he plays a game for a living, it is his occupation. He needs to do what's best for him and his family. Not what's best for the league and not what's best for any particular team.

If going to LA to give his wife access to the resources she needs to succeed her desired field, than there is NOTHING wrong with that. In fact, I'd bet if he came out and said he was doing this for LaLa (obviously he benefits too, playing in LA and for the Lakers, even though they suck atm), that the media would gobble the story up and crown him a hero for women's rights or some ish like that.

He'd certainly be viewed in a more positive light than he would if he keeps reiterating this "winning" mindset while subsequently choosing a losing team.

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Woj retweeted this so I think it's legit.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Carmelo is struggling with his decision. It appears to be down to Knicks, Lakers and, yes, the Bulls. <a href="http://t.co/VmDCC6PUkv">http://t.co/VmDCC6PUkv</a></p>&mdash; Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/statuses/486218169980174336">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. PhiSlammaJamma

My number one rule is that the more guys you have that can put the ball in the bucket, the better your chances in the nba. This is the basic essence of basketball at all levels. And while we have no problem scoring, we have had problems closing. So Carmelo over Bosh. That said, Bosh is a great match for us too. It's the position we need. And at this point in his career it's a good fit too. I think our fans will be disappointed in his output per dollar here. He might be 13 and 6. It will likely be low end, but he's potentially the missing piece and the best 13 and 6 one could find to fill a hole. Also capable still, of a 20-30 point night when needed.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Yes, but what happens when you don't have the last shot of the game? See Game 6. Defense wins championships.

5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To be fair, Carmelo has never said anything that would lead you to believe he is leaving.</p>&mdash; Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/statuses/485145549218148352">July 4, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actions speak louder than words.

Not the first time a free agent used other teams to force a max contract offer, even if PJax offers it begrudgingly: "You know, if you want all the money you're entitled to, well, we'll go ahead and pay it, I guess..."

It's like "Office Space".

Pjax: "Melo, we need to talk about your flair."

Melo: "What about it?"

Pjax: "Well, I see you're wearing 10 pieces of flair. Now, Amar'e over there's wearing 42 pieces of flair. What does it say about someone who wears the bare minimum?"

Melo: "Okay, so, you want me to wear more flair?"

Pjax: "(sigh) Melo, look, Knicks fans expect a lot when they buy a ticket. They want to see someone who's willing to take one for the team."

Melo: "Phil, I didn't finish school. Fact is, I couldn't spell 'school' if you spotted me the 's' and the 'k'. But, uh, by 'take one for the team', do you mean, 'Take less money on the off-off-off chance we get a Kevin Love next year'?"

Pjax: "Whew. We understand each other."

Melo: "Hey, all you had to do was say so."

Pjax: "What a relief. So, we're on the same page."

Melo: "Uh, no. YOU'RE on page 96. I'M on page 135. Maybe I'll change books. Oh, here's one I like. 'The Los Angeles Lakers'. Sounds good. Thick book. Might take me about four years to read it."

Pjax: "Page 135 it is, then, Melo."

Melo: "NOW we're on the same page, Phil."

7. Classic

Classic Member

Ugh, he told Hou winning was a priority.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

And winning is his #1? lol...mmmkay.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think it's easy for us to look at Melo and say "if he really wants to win he would be here". The counter to this argument isn't really hard to find. Look at the Lakers with Dwight. Melo might not think he will be happy as a Rocket, and that could be a lot bigger than people think.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

George Karl:

"Melo likes the spotlight"
    "Houston and Chicago are the best spots for him"
    "I think Melo will go back to New York"

11. cyberx

cyberx Member

He doesn't know a thing.

12. DwightHoward13

Any updates on Melo or Bosh?

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps not, but he maybe right anyhow.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

I want Melo if he wants Houston.... But if he choses Knicks/Lakers/Bulls then the hell with him.... The Rockets without making a single move would destroy any of those teams with Melo..... Looking forward to it.... Hopefully we can add a significant piece like Bosh.....

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So you're saying Melo to Miami then? Because if he doesn't know a thing, that implies all the above statements are wrong, accordingly the only other likely outcome is Melo to Miami...

I cracked the code!

16. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Any updates cyber??

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Sounds like he's going to the Fakers.

18. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Rule number 1A is equally important, which is:

the more guys you have that can deny the ball to the opposing bucket, the better your chances in the NBA.

And this type of guys is what the Rockets need to get/develop/emphasize.

19. cold pizza

cold pizza Member

granger to heat

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I would agree that maybe he saw us as a place where he didn't fit and that's fine. And he's a grown man with a wife and family so I get that his decision is includes all kinds of parameters that should be respected. But if he signs with any of those 3, I'd be shocked if they actually carried home a trophy during his stay...especially the Lakers...smh...