1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs turning attention to Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HR Dept, Jul 7, 2014.

1. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Mavs, Cavs, Lakers and Heat are pursuing Wizards free agent Trevor Ariza, league sources say. Ariza seeking deal starting at $9-$11m.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/486207030462799872">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

this might give another idea into the market for Parsons

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

To Dallas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

McHale doesn't hold his players accountable, especially on defense.

Plus, in his bid to be worth a large contract, Parsons naturally migrated to the offense side of the ball. "See? 17 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists." (Or whatever his numbers are.) "Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!"

Again: we aren't losing Parsons, unless it's in a sign-and-trade he likes.

It'll go like this:

Chandler: "Dallas just offered me $12,000,000 per year, with the first year at a bubble payment to dissuade you from signing."

Morey: "Done. Don't sign, we'll match. Let me reel in [Free Agent Name of the Day]."

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Mavs or the Lakers are able to get Ariza than that's great news for the Rockets. Takes another Parsons suitor off the market.

Keep in mind that the Wizards, if they lost Ariza, wouldn't have that exact amount of cap space available to turn around and be Parsons suitors. After Gortat deal, they wouldn't have the realistic cap space to turn around and give him a competitive offer.

Kind of a moot point though because I think because of this, the Wizards over-pay to keep Ariza, and these teams turn their attention to Deng/Hayward/Parsons shortly after.

5. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

If we match Parsons' contract, does that mean we have to trade Lin?

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

no....

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

mark cuban will overpay him and i'm okay with that.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Cuban is trolling.....I think he'll offer 11 mill.

9. dobro1229

Parsons is restricted. Meaning they can match any offer and go crazy over the cap & luxury tax if they wanted to.

The Lin contract only needs to be moved in order to create cap space (before Parsons is offered a contract/re-signed).

Moving Lin & Asik's contracts beforehand gives them about 18 million in cap space before Parsons gets a contract offer (probably soon as the door opens on July 10th). That's why the timing for all of this to get wrapped up is very important for the Rockets. They need something to happen (Bosh, Melo, whoever) before the 10th.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Cuban offers 11 million Morey will probably exhale: "Whew, I thought it'd be worse."

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Ah **** off Mavs. Worthless team.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

N that case I hope Parsons signs it. That's reasonable and we can match.

13. val_modus

val_modus Member

So could Parson's decline a contract with a team who made him an offer as a RFA or is it pretty much out of his hands?

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is insanity. One good season and teams are gonna overlook a career of garbage? No way in hell Ariza gets that much

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

If Ariza gets 11 mil, Parsons will get the max...

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Of course he can decline it. He's a (restricted) free agent.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Ya, I saw it was projected to increase $5 mil, so I based my numbers on $58 mil, assuming he could only be offered 25% of the current cap.

Can we only offer players we drafted a 5 year contract? How does that work? If so, can Dallas only offer 4? Is 5 years 12 mil too much? With all the moving parts and the changing of teams, Morey has his work cut out for him trying to come up with multiple contingency plans.

I disagree. He certainly didn't focus on defense as he did in years prior, but he was our BEST wing defender. Better than Casspi and better than Garcia. If we got Bosh, he would once again be pushed back into that defensive minded, do-it-all kind of player. Once again we find ourselves in a dire need of a Shane Battier type player. Parsons can fill that role and add a little more offense that Shane couldn't.

18. dobro1229

The player has to sign the contract for the Rockets to then have 3 days to match.

However, the team that is offering the contract could threaten to pull the offer if they dont sign it right then and there.

If its between the Mavs and the Rockets, and Cuban shows up at his door on July 10th with a max offer and says its now or never, Fegan might tell Parsons to sign it, and screw the Rockets.

I dont think Parsons would do this to the Rockets, but I dont doubt that Fegan wouldn't talk him into it.

It shouldn't be an issue as long as Morey can get something set in stone before the 10th. If he doesn't, things with Parsons could get very interesting very fast.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Unfortunately, the market has been set. When guys like Kaman are making $5 mil a year, a PAY RAISE, after a DOWN YEAR, what do you expect? And when the cap is projected to rise to $80 mil in a few years, players/agents know there is money to be made and teams are afraid of saying no because they know said player will simply walk to the highest offer.

20. torocan

torocan Member

No agent in their right mind would let Parsons NOT sign an offer without another offer in hand. If Parsons went the entire FA period without a signed contract, the salary would default to the QO (Qualifying offer).

Dallas can exert a tremendous amount of pressure on Parsons to sign shortly after the moratorium by simply putting a timeline on the offer. If Parsons does not have other fall back offers in hand, or the other offer options are significantly less money he could potentially lose millions of dollars, especially if the offer is on the high side.

As for the Mavs offer, you can fully expect that they will offer an "overpay" as Parsons is restricted. If it was fair market value, Morey would just match the offer and then either keep Parsons or look to trade him if he wanted to try to get a better bargain contract at some point down the line.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Mavs came in at $12-$13M with a relative short window on the offer to force Morey to commit the cap space to retain Parsons.

That said, nothing is actually inked until July 10th, so Parsons does have a few days, but don't expect the Mavs to give him that much rope. The Mavs either want to bolster their roster, or they want to hinder the Rockets by tying up their cap space.

Both scenarios are a win for the Mavs.