1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ProBballTalk] Bosh would prefer 4 year max over staying with Heat for less

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jul 5, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Totally different sports. With maybe 1 exception, all of the NBA owners are in favor of salary cap and will fight to the death to keep it.

In MLB, despite what you may be led to believe, the owners are split on a salary cap. Salary caps come with salary floors and guaranteed distribution of revenue. The small market teams in baseball don't really want that.

2. battousai

battousai Member

The situation is not whether what you all think Bosh is worth to the rockets, but rather how many other teams are pursuing him and how much do we want him on our roster.

After Lebron and Melo are gone (presumably they gone to other teams), Bosh is the only one of the top FAs left. I am assuming there are at least 5 to 6 teams that are chasing Melo and Lebron (if not more). Than what are these teams going to do with their fans and salary hole that they created to lure Melo or Lebron?

They will reshift their focus to Bosh. take Suns for example. They have the cap to sign either Melo or Lebron but in no way shape or form will either one of them signed with Suns. However Bosh is a different story. He is looking to get paid and long contract. Bosh would not hestiate to go to the Suns if they pay him max. Now Rockets are forced to match it or offer Bosh something better.
    That's NBA.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bledsoe and Milsapp。 thats all we need

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep, that's all we need.

A PG that might get a max offer that PHX has pledged to match and a borderline all star PF that Atlanta has shown no willingness to trade despite the constant clutchfans clamor that he is available.

Shoot man, that's a piece of cake!

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Scoring isnt gonna be an issue...secondly, Bosh was relegated to being a spot up shooter and a three point threat in Miami...Yes while paying him the max is overpaying...He address one of the huge needs for this team at PF. His presence in the starting lineup defensively helps Howard become a greater impact...Forget the fact that he looks like a "homosexual" dinosaur...the guy was the most important reason for why Miami was able to win a couple of titles in South Beach...Fact.

Secretly, Bosh wants to return to southbeach, but the Heat want a bigger discount. With Melo and Lebron keeping everyone in limbo, the Rockets have made the right play in trying to nab an unselfish key cog in a championship team. Bosh on this team makes a lot of sense.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I said I didn't even care about the scoring, its the lack of rebounding that I'm amazed at. He plays like Horry, which is fine, just not max worthy.

And no the guy was not the most important reason for why Miami was able to win a couple of titles in South Beach. They had some guy named LeBron.
    "Fact" really?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bosh also played good Defense
    He did not have BEST series but he did basically slightly worse than Duncan
    Meanwhile Wade and his knees where playing matador defense

Miami was killed in the backcourt and wings
    [Ginobili, Parker and Diaw]

Rocket River

8. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I'd love to have Bosh here. There aren't a lot of big guys that have his type of skill set. We need to do what we can while Dwight is in his prime years. His length and experience will really help both sides of the floor.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sure Lin, Jones and a couple of future first could probably land us J.Smith. If we strike out on James/Love/Anthony/Bosh I don't see any other big upgrade we could get so cheaply.

10. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Are people still asking for JSmith! Was I the only one who say him suck. Over paid, and I am so glad we passed on him last season.

11. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston's natural landing spot for Bosh: Can play PF next to Dwight Howard, make $20M-plus and return to home state w/ a title contender.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/486191215990550528">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Name a better and cheaper (trade wise, not contract) player that will upgrade our power forward position.

Seriously, name one.

13. Bogey

Why don't you let Jones and DMo improve. I saw a lot of improvement from year one to year 2. I'd take that over J Smith.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yup. i waiver on bosh b/c the max seems like you're overpaying but if you look at it from strictly a fit POV he is the ideal FA (barring a love trade). fills a position of need with the ideal attributes and will likely have a larger role here than he did last year in miami.

melo may be sexier but bosh is very, very tempting.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We don't have time for that anymore. We are no longer the lottery team who can sit around and hope for our young players to improve. Howard is turning 29 and will be in his 11th overall season this year, the man can't have more then 2-3 years left of his prime. The west is a powerhouse that is improving every year, if we want to win we must upgrade this team, right now. Standing pat on our first round exit team isn't going to get us anywhere.

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

by the time those two develop Howard's contract will be up here or his eto will be here

17. Bogey

Yeah and I think Jones will have a similar year to Smith this year. Don't really see it as an upgrade.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Defense man, defense.

On ball defense, perimeter defense, post defense, pick&roll defense, rim protection, weak side defense, shot blocking and steals. Smith can guard James, Anthony, Durant, Love, Dirk, Bosh, Griffen, Aldridge... any star PF or SF the rockets will need to be guarded.

Jones can't.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yahoo Sources: Chris Bosh had first direct conversation w/ Houston, Rockets clear frontrunner if Heat unravel. <a href="http://t.co/ffdnzlrNKG">http://t.co/ffdnzlrNKG</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/486218914167554049">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I pretty much nailed it. I said 78 million over 4 years.

18 mil 1st year, 19, 20 21. More than the Heat, but not the full max. 80 million over 4 years sounds about right.

We get our star PF PLUS a star back up C. And we make a big 3. The fit is perfect, 2 birds w/ 1 stone on upgrading the 4 and replacing Asik back up C void. Get to keep Parsons, and get to keep TJones.

Bev/TBD
    Harden/TBD
    Parsons/TBD
    Bosh/TJ
    Howard/Bosh