1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets "heavily engaged" with Chris Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 6, 2014.

?

Do you like the Rockets offering a full max deal to Chris Bosh?

1. YES

778 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. NO

318 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Goodnight see you tomorrow..

2. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

1. We can go over the cap to sign Parsons.
    2. If we won't move Parsons for Love, we won't move him for Bosh.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

BimaThug tweeted about something regarding a hard car in the Bosh SnT scenario. I've seen him mention it earlier, but it's too late to learn/relearn now...as in I'm sleepy. Hopefully, we can just sign him outright to his near max ($80M), then keep enough assets to maintain roster flexibility after re-signing Parsons. No need to send Miami draft picks just to pay Bosh an extra $5M...is there?

4. Sanity2disChaos

If its all about the money....

just a question.

Could moving bosh to minnny and love to Houston with the chosen pick of anybody not named Howard, Harden, Parsons or Beverly is included on the rockets side.(minny could do well in letting kmart walk)...even be capable? if bosh is going after the money first. Miami gets some money and choice of players and picks to choose from..I think a sign and trade would the route but am not sure ...

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The apron.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

you know "the max" is contingent upon many things including experience, previous year's salary, all-star appearances, etc.

Bosh max =/ Parsons max

7. demarco1

demarco1 Member

Now this move , i love it.... this is the best thing to do, Bosh trade > Melo trade

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd rather send picks than lose the MLE and BAE exceptions this year. Could create a monster bench

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

I agree to that. His play fits the Rockets game. He is a team player. He can hit the outside shot. Shotblocker and good passer. I don't think there is anything better available. I like him better than Melo.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh yeah...well, I'm tired. And afraid of losing Parsons...all this matters not. Will just sit back and wait on what happens.

11. Oracle

Oracle Member

Losing Parsons is basically a direct function of signing Bosh as soon as possible. The Rockets have to sign Bosh before anybody commits to offer a deal to Parsons. That point is rapidly closing in. Parsons is becoming the best deal in the FA. So, step on it Daryl.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Morey will be on the clock for three days before he needs to sign Parsons. Meanwhile, the team making an offer to Parson has is put on hold from other deals for that period. Lots of alternatives to Parson could be scooped up in that team with the assurance that the Rockets will re-up with Parsons. The risk goes two ways.

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

Absolutely correct. Let's not forget, however, that Morey has to unload Lins contract (and probably more than that) from the books as well to accomodate a max deal. If all this happens in the "wrong" order, it becomes quite messy.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

No one with cap space is going to sign Parsons before Bosh

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

His 'value' is not driven up until someone actually inks Parsons to a deal. I see your concern, but it hasn't been validated with even a rejected offer.

16. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Can we send him Jersey #7? I miss church this week and need to brush up on a biblical verse.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Engagement engaged.

Intensity intensifies.

I'm sure Bosh is feeling the pressure. LeBron hasn't told him his plans? WTF? Aren't the friends and teammates or something? If LeBron bounces, Miami may go into rebuild and not offer Bosh anything near the max. There are only so many teams out there willing to give him that kind of money.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

maybe bosh wants max and lebron wants max so we know that's not gonna happen unless one leaves

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I'll take him! If Lebron then goes to Cleveland, it would be like 4 years ago and they both make the right decision this time around ;)

20. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Quick and dirty explanation; if the Rockets acquire a player in a sign and trade, they are hard-capped at $81M for the year.

If the Rockets manage to do everything they can to clear cap room, which includes waiving Robert Covington, keeping Capella overseas, and keeping ONLY Howard/Harden/Beverley/Canaan/Parsons (with the wink-wink deal that they temporarily rescind the qualifying offer for Parsons to reduce his cap hold, making him an unrestricted free agent) they can offer Chris Bosh a $20.55M first year starting salary with max 4.5% raises for a total contract of 4yrs/$87.7M. The absolute max he can get from a non-Miami team is 4/$88.38M, so the difference is negligible.

The Rockets would then be left with the Room Exception (2yrs/$5.4M), Nick Johnson, and 5-7 minimum salaried players. They could keep Covington if Bosh were willing to take a paycut of about $800k total over the lifetime of the contract.

If the Rockets were to sign and trade for Chris Bosh at his maximum $20.7M first year salary, while retaining Parsons on an $11M starting salary, they could keep Motiejunas, Jones, and Covington; assuming they sign Nick Johnson they would then have 3 slots to fill on the active roster with rookie or sophmores only, and have $4.2M below the hard cap, so they could perhaps go get a veteran (ex: Francisco Garcia would cost $500k additional), or resign Troy Daniels. Or they could use the taxpayer mid-level exception ($3.278M), but that would bring them very close to the line, and again, this is with them only keeping 13 active players; there are NO exceptions to the hard cap, so even if someone gets a season ending injury, you cannot go out and sign a player without first clearing room, even if that means waiving and stretching a player.

The real danger with a sign-and-trade is that if Parsons receives a max offer ($14.8M starting salary), you're going to have to do some extremely fast and creative trades to quickly dump Motiejunas and even Jones if you want to have a bench. If Parsons is maxed out, that leaves you only $420,000 below the hard cap, not even enough to sign a player to the minimum! And again, the calculation includes only 13 active players on the roster, and 3 of them will be undrafted minimum salary rookies or sophomores, not inclusive of Nick Johnson. As you can see, the sign-and trade route enables you to keep Motiejunas and Jones, and potentially use the tax-payer mid-level to sign Nick Johnson to a 3-year deal, but using the non-taxpayer mid-level is out of the question, even minimum salaried free-agents are nearly impossible if they're not rookies or sophmores, and I'd be terrified of running out of players half-way through the year. Personally, I don't think that Daryl Morey is even considering a sign-and-trade for these reasons; using cap-space for your free agent signing enables you to pluck veteran free agents, and is much more conducive to RGV call-ups and midseason moves.

One last point is that unless Troy Daniels is willing to come back at the minimum, or the Rockets strike out completely, there is virtually no chance he's back next year. While he's a restricted free agent, the Rockets don't have any bird rights, and if he gets an offer sheet, they must use the mid-level exception to match. If they sign a player with cap room, they don't have an MLE. If they use a sign-and-trade, they'll only have the tax-payer mid-level, and will be so tight up against the hard cap they won't be able to afford to match even something like a 3yr/$9M deal.

6 people like this.