1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] The Jeremy Lin-Carmelo Anthony jersey controversy is ridiculously overblown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 3, 2014.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Well, to be fair... Woj tweeted "...Spoke to Lin's agents, Jim Tanner/Roger Montgomery, who say that Houston did NOT inform Lin...", vs "...source tells Yahoo Sports". I do tend to trust a person who puts their name on it over an anonymous source, all other things being equal.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

The order goes like this:
    "Someone unnamed" from Rockets organization told Woj Rockets informed Lin.
    Lin's agents immediately told Woj they didn't inform him.
    Then that's it.

If the agents are lying, it's just a simple clarification from the Rockets organization to shut them up and make them look like fools. Why would they do that?

If anything, it sounds to me more like Rockets FO wanted to tuck this under the carpet, Lin's agents jumped out to protect Lin's image. If Lin was pre-informed, he's a whiner for making so much noise. If he wasn't informed, I can fully understand what he did.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lakers made mock ups of Melo's No. 7 jersey per source. Unlikely Xavier Henry will be as offended as Jeremy Lin</p>&mdash; Mark Medina (@MarkG_Medina) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/statuses/484799723744661504">July 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I can confirm this report.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I'm not so sure. You scroll your mouse over Clutch's name when he posts and the number you see is 1.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's whining, either way. Never heard this complaint before. Especially from a backup. Lin screwed up. Shoulda just swallowed his pride/agenda and let the Rockets recruit the same way every team recruits. If Melo ends up on the team and the org takes away Lin's #7 without permission, then take to Twitter and quote the bible. Until then, keep quiet.

Exactly.

7. AvgJoe

If my math is right, the greatest number is the member # of the latest person signed up on Clutchfans.

8. AvgJoe

Let's see it. Where is the big poster on the stadium for the public to see? And is Xavier Henry being traded if Melo signs? Did Xavier Henry have the history going back to NY days with Melo?

9. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Wow. Had not seen this.

My personal opinion: the conspiracy theories being spouted by Lin enthusiasts have succeeded in reverse, spawning conspiracy theories on the other side.

10. timyeung

timyeung Member

Exactly. Lin is classy and professional and would still play hard.
    The organization he is playing for on the other hand . . .

11. AvgJoe

The way Lin puts it himself, he is considering this move as a way to stand up for himself. Whining? maybe to some, but with the track history how he was involved in trade rumors, and after media blew up this jersey incident, it's hard not to get it out.

From Rockets team perspective, yeah, Lin should have kept quiet
    From Lin's perspective, I fully understand why he did it.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I suspect the main reason Jeremy's upset is because he wants to be here.

This. Fans will be fans and Jeremy is one polarizing figure.

13. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

lin is a big panocha

14. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

More like Morey screwed and wished Lin to take it and keep it quite. But Lin didn't.

15. JeffB

Supporting Member

I think this summarizes the situation. Lin putting those Harvard marketing moves on his fan base. This way, when he is shipped off, it can look like the Rockets are the villains instead of it being that he didn't live up to that contract.

Very calculated move.

16. AvgJoe

The idea is as smart as the idea McHale hates Lin because Lin makes him look bad as they cut Lin before.

They are definitely not conspiracy theories. :rolleyes:

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Looks like Henry understands how things work and isn't mentally fragile.

18. Exel

Exel Member

Not to mention that Xavier is a free agent also.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This looks bad on Lin because he's shown he is as mentally weak in pressure situations off the court as much as he is on it.

I feel for the guy because there's more than enough undue hate on him, but get over yourself brah, and look for the next op to prove yourself.

1 person likes this.
  20. JeffB

Supporting Member

I understand his hurt pride. He came to the Rockets to recreate Linsanity and be the man. Now he is a 6th man and whipping boy. And about to be a salary dump that may require the team to send out additional assets just to move him.

And to top it off: he might get moved for C. Anthony, a guy who called Lin's contract ridiculous when the Rockets offered it.

I feel for Lin. Dude is human. His pride was injured and he felt the need to take a public stance. Like a good Christian, he tried to wrap it with a bible verse. That's OK. The Lord is his shepherd. Lin will be stronger from this public display of weakness.