1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards agree to five-year, $60 million extension with Marcin Gortat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Got my man <a href="https://twitter.com/MGortat">@MGortat</a> back now waitin for my bro <a href="https://twitter.com/TrevorAriza">@TrevorAriza</a>...Come on !!</p>&mdash; John Wall (@John_Wall) <a href="https://twitter.com/John_Wall/statuses/484126507015483392">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>:)))</p>&mdash; Marcin Gortat (@MGortat) <a href="https://twitter.com/MGortat/statuses/484126295060541441">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcin Gortat has agreed to a five year, $60 million contract extension with Washington, league source tells Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/484127262766551040">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcin Gortat's $60 million deal is fully guaranteed across five seasons -- no options -- league source tells RealGM.</p>&mdash; Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/statuses/484127894411554817">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bad news for the Heat. That was one guy that really could have been a difference maker.

If they really can create some cap space (I'm talking 7 to 10 million) than I think Pau Gasol might be the way to go if he's willing to take less (assuming some team gets desperate and offers him what I think he's going to get).

I think this is a signal that the Wiz will probably bring back Ariza as well. They seem like they are figuring out that they have a real shot at making a jump up in the lowly east, and Ariza is pretty important for what they do.

I don't think the Wiz are a 50 win team, but they could shock people this year if they stay healthy.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

12 million /year is pretty good value for a big man like Gortat - hopefully he keeps the production up - I believe he will.

Surprising that there is no option at all for a contract of that length - I would figure that there would be a team option after year 4.

4. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Damn, dudes gonna get paid for a while..and into his mid 30s

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

$12mill per is a solid deal (Pekovic got the same thing). I'm kind of surprised he didn't at least test the market

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

undersized c who relies on his athleticism. the last two or three years of his contract could be hell for the wiz. dude likes to complain when he has a diminished role of offense.

7. MONON

MONON Member

Now if we can get Lowery to sign with us, Bosh & Wade will take pay cuts for nothing.:grin: Good decision by the Wiz! Unfortunately for us, that probably means they'll resign Ariza also. Wiz trying to be relevant in the East & looking good.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep. This sounds very lucrative considering Gortat's age. No team options, no partial guarantees. This contract will likely stink in a few years.

9. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

they haven't taken the paycut yet. if the heat can't find FAs to sign then they won't take paycuts.

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

This is a very bad contract in two (maybe three) year time. Already overpaid. Gortat is solid but not 12 million a year for five years when he's already 30 and relies a lot on athleticism.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

6'11 without shoes, 7'3.5 wingspan and a 9'2 standing reach.

in what world is that undersized.

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

everyone and their mom is being overpaid.

13. haydenfisher342

kyle lowry?

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

My money is on Evan Turner to the Heat.

15. chandlerbang21

Excellent signing, he played great in playoffs

16. HPD

HPD Member

Rather hav him then Howard... savn $$$$ to max deal to MELO...

17. Asian Sensation

Good contract for both him and the Wiz. Good big men are a premium in this league. I'm sure the Wiz would've rather had him at 4 years but they couldn't risk losing him and I'm sure Gortat and his agent asked for 5 years for that long term security. His Agent probably gave the Wiz a choice between 5 for 60 or something along the lines of 4 for 55.

Fair deal deal is fair.

18. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Wiz are all in on being above average.

Too bad because Wall-Beal backcourt could be sick with the right supporting cast.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

*Sigh* Seriously? :rolleyes: So we should have skipped on Howard so we could wait the next year to offer Gortat a contract and then hope Melo would follow.. what world do you live on?

He is not undersized and is really skilled. Not completely reliant on athleticism.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Above average might win the eastern conference if the Heat breakup.