1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What offers RFA Chandler Parson might receive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Match or No Match

Poll closed Jul 10, 2014.
  1. match any offer (max 14 starting)

27.7%
  2. match only if less than 12 starting

72.3%
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Chandler Parson is a RFA and the max offer he can receive from other teams will be around 4yrs - 62 million, with a starting salary around 14 million.

The good news for the Rockets is that there are a handful of similar players or players expected to be paid in the same range on the market this year, in Gordon Hayward, Deng, Ariza, Stephenson & Bledsoe.

The bad news is that more than 10 teams have the cap space to offer Parsons a max contract starting at 14 million.

How will being an RFA affect Parson’s market value?

Using the 2013 RFA class as an example, RFA had a pretty hard time getting paid. Most of them either had to wait until the unrestricted guys were gone and/or settle for the low end of their range.

Jeff Teague and Brandon Jennings were both considered among the top available point guards, but both settled for 8M/yr and both were towards the tail end of signings among Amin Elhassan’s top 25 free agent list. Gary Neal was a late sign and only got 2 years, 6M (although he’s clearly in a lower talent class, too).

Nikola Pekovic eventually (after 1.5 months) agreed to terms with his original team. He got a BIG five-year deal, but as expected for a big man (12M/yr).

Tiago Splitter also managed to sign a new contract with his original team, for the price of 9M/yr.

Gerald Henderson was Charlotte’s second-leading scorer, but got hosed in Restricted Free Agency (3 years, 18M total) and was pretty much the last non-minimum level wing to sign.

Only Tyreke Evans got PAID! in an early deal at (4/44M), in a sign & trade that the Pelicans might regret.

With no shortage of suitors, what will Parsons, get and at what price should the rockets not match if any.

2. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

It doesn't really matter since the Rockets will match anything.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Gotta match simply on principle. Can't claim you'll match any offer and then not match.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

how do you like to eat your crow?

5. nineballnoob

nineballnoob Member

Like the Knicks claiming they'd match any Lin offer right? Can't be certain we will match, especially if we get poison pilled by the (Lakers) on Chandler.

Also, I'd think Morey would S/T Chandler if he has commitment from one or two max players.

While he's a big part of the team, he and pretty much anyone but dwight is movable.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's not my money, I say match anything and worry about it later. It's either A) we are strapped for cash after maxing Parsons and another significant player or b) we have another wasted season of Dwight where we have no realistic title hopes.

7. HPD

HPD Member

Another thread

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Can't let him walk for nothing and Morey has already stated (I think?) he'll match offers. Even if you have to match a max offer sheet you do it and then trade him later on when the CBA rules allow it.

9. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

If they match an offer sheet, never post here again. I'll do the same if they don't.

How about that.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

I love CP as much as the next Rocket fan, but ppl thinking well match max offers are rediculous. I think well sign him around 12 mil, but everyone and scola/dragic/Hayes/landrys mom knows morey will not overvalue players.

I love CP and what he brings to this team. But hd is not elite. But his skill set IS replacable, whether our fan base wants to realize it or not.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What team would CP sign with?
    A team he wouldn't mind spending his carrier with- 10 mil
    A just getting all he can team- 13 mil

12. chandlerbang21

no the rockets will not handicap themselves with his contract

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I am willing to do the same if the Rockets refuse to match an offer. That just sound preposterous.

The Rockets will match ANY offer... unless Minnesota put out a number, in which case we flip him for Kevin Love. :grin:

14. SirKen

SirKen Member

Anything over 10M/year and I don't see Morey signing it.

15. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Except Morey did overvalue Scola, when there was Yao.

Now there's Dwight and Harden. So he'll splurge on great role players who have proven to fit because there's no other choice.

16. conquistador#11

who has it backfired on in recent history, 2000s. I think the cavs with boozer.

I could see cuban offering something up if they had the money. 5 years/50 million sounds about right.

17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

9 to 12 million sounds reasonable, except with that added salary we're not a better team. Not to mention we've traded Asik away (our only legit back up center). I only see Morey retaining Parsons if we can sign someone who can help us win now.

Otherwise we're going to have to work something out, do a s&t perhaps and then pursue Stephenson/Ariza. Jameer Nelson was just waived, maybe he and Patrick Beverely can share the PG position at 22-24 minutes a game with Canaan picking up the last few minutes.

Unless Terrance Jones picks up his defense and works to become more consistent offensively I don't see this team better with just resigning Parsons while losing Asik. Lin is still a big question mark too.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If there were any offer Morey wasn't going to match, he never would have made him a free agent in the first place.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Can't a team structure his deal like we did Lin and asik's and make it hard for les to swallow? A poison pill?

Of course it'd mean that parsons would have to be dumb or willing.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

It backfired because the CBA at the time would not allow Cleveland to match that Utah offer. Similar case with Arenas, when he was offered more than the MLE and Warriors couldn't match.

That loophole has since been closed. If that situation happened today, Cleveland would've simply matched.