1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockets decline option on Troy Daniels (and Parsons)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Surprised at Troy Daniels. He was on a minimum deal. So much for the theory that some of these stars would "take less."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Rockets as expected officially do not pick up options on Parsons, Daniels. Will make qualifying offers today so can match rfa offer sheets.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/483598828801519616">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Rockets intend to keep both Parsons and Daniels, regardless of what else happens in free agency, source said. Will cite both in pitches.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/483598968836739073">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree.....surprised about Daniels. Only opens up $300k in cap space.

We wouldn't do something like this unless we absolutely knew we were getting someone.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Is Daniels a RFA? I guess he is in our longterm plans.

4. justtxyank

People say this about every move the team makes. The truth is they have to make moves like this by a certain date or they are unable to do so. The vibe apparently is that Melo (and Lebron though I think he's out of the question) are not planning to take paycuts of any real significance. If the Rockets are going to get up to the near max they had to make this move.

It seems like without getting to the highest possible dollar they don't really have a shot at Melo.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

of they just really believe in him and don't want to let him become unrestricted next summer.

better to match a low ball offer for him now than let him prove himself next season and earn more money, and potentially leave as an UFA.

no one knows who he is, no one will offer anything more than the minimum. rockets can lock him up on that parsons deal (4 years near the minimum with team options for years 3 and 4).

i think by making parsons and daniels RFAs they are showing how much they want to keep them, rather than looking at it as "they declined their offers, they don't want them anymore."

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Not too sure about that. I remember everyone saying the same thing when we amnestied Scola. Morey is swinging for the fences here, but there's no guarantee. If we strike out, Parsons and Daniels (and the Asik pick) should be pretty decent trade chips in the future.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or multiple someones.....:grin:

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

It's happening gif, please.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

But that's just it.

Daniels will be a RESTRICTED free agent next summer.

Different calculus than with Parsons.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I think this is Morey using this year's competitive market to his advantage. There are so many wing players this year. Parsons is probably 3rd or 4th beat small forward this offseason. LeBron and Melo are obviously 1 and 2. Hayward could be ahead of Parsons on some boards.

Daniels is still unproven, so he may not get an "all-in" deal. If he plays next year like he did in the playoffs, then we can kiss him goodbye after this contract.

That or there is a wink wink deal in place for a FA that will require every penny we can free up.

1 person likes this.
  11. justtxyank

What's his status this season Bima? Friedman made it sound like Daniels is RFA this offseason just like Parsons? Is that accurate?

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I always get angry when I hear these moves, but then I step back and realise we have morey who always makes the best moves he can for the rockets moving foward, so relax CF's this is a calculated move

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone will make an offer to Troy Daniels.

And I hope no one offers Parsons more than $10 million per!

1 person likes this.
  14. nepopop

nepopop Member

Garcia opted out. :D

15. basketballholic

Bima,

Isn't Daniels' cap hold now $588,216 (120% of $490,180)?

16. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

So why do you think they did this? Isn't the cap benefit very small? Daniels is more than worth the min...

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

No other team will offer Daniels a contract. Morey wants to tack on an unguaranteed year or two for future trade purposes.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This convinces me that there it is even more unlikely that we bring over Capella.

19. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I was 100% certain that we were getting Dwight when we used the amnesty on Scola but it didn't happen. That summer he got traded to LA and we didn't get Dwight til the following season. So I guess we did get Dwight but it wasn't exactly one right after the other.

I say this to say that I'm not so sure this means Rockets are getting somebody for sure but I hope you are right.

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I think it is the exact opposite. I think this signifies they don't feel good about adding a top guy (by someone I mean LeBron, Melo, or Bosh) and thus are trying to lock up Daniels now, when they can match. This means you can't trade him as part of any deal and you lose $200K in cap space.

Still a lot of possibilities with guys like Lowry, Monroe (probably not a great fit, but a talent), Bledsoe and Deng, though.