1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Center options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chandlerbang21, Jun 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Monroe or Meka for me please

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

DMo would be best case scenario from a financial and move making standpoint but I'm sure there is nervousness with the team about if he can make enough strides defensively to handle the gig.

I think most likely you seem them go for a cheap veteran backup and try to keep DMo to give him a shot at least. Maybe in a couple years Capela looks to be the long term option there but the guy looks rail thin now and is about as green as they come.

Your probably also going to see Powell and some other young DLeaguer type bigs signed for training camp that they are going to be hopeful about.

Backup center by committee until someone separates themselves from the pack is probably what we can all expect.

3. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Spencer Hawes or Okafor, no one else should even be considered.

4. treeman

treeman Member

Ugh... For the thousandth time, Asik was not going to stay - we were losing him no matter what. You'd rather have kept him, lost any cap flexibility to make improvements to the roster, and then let him walk for nothing? Instead, we get a lottery pick for a player who was going to walk anyway, and get cap flexibility to go after some big names and add some much needed pieces to improve the roster.

SMH. This is not complicated. Why don't you guys get it? :rolleyes:

5. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

I think you are right in that it's a can vs. should, but don't agree that sending Asik away was the wrong move. Salary-wise, there's no way to move forward to bring in a Love/Melo while he still represents money on the payroll. The real concern I have is how things seem locked up right now - have to move Lin to make a big move, cannot move Lin until there is a big move in sight, cannot sign a backup big until the bigger game plays out, don't want to miss out on all the quality cheaper bigs because of a need to let the bigger free agent signing play out .... It's all entirely doable but concerning that the pieces have to fall into place in just such a way.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm probably going to be the first and last person to bring up this person.

[​IMG]

7. leangle25

leangle25 Member

8. SirKen

SirKen Member

No way Morey is going to pay 5M/year for the next 2 years for him. Especially considering how he wants to make a move for Melo or wait to acquire Love next year after Lin expires.

I think Chris Kaman might sign for a year depending on how things go though.

9. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Oka-for sure.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I know you're trolling, but he'd be a great compliment off the bench. Both as a reserve four and five. Would still need some size in along with him for situations where dwight is hurt or in foul trouble, but I'd love to have hayes back at the right price.

11. clutz

clutz Member

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

donuts can give us 18-24 mpg backing up the 4/5. we would only need a big stiff post defender/rim protector for about 12mpg. doens't have to be a high priced guy. someone like birdman, kaman, mohammad, oden, okafor, steimsma, o'neal or bringing back greg smith would be fine for the BAE or a minimum contract.

the bench should look like this:

C- BAE
    PF- donuts
    SF- MLE
    SG- daniels/johnson/gentile (whoever wins the spot)
    PG- lin

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the Rockets acquire Melo, they won't have a backup center regardless. They'll only have some random FA who sucks, like Cole Aldrich.

The Rockets also have no chance at Love in FA because re-signing Parsons put them over the cap.

Any scenario where the Rockets can actually obtain an actual center involves actually involves no capspace.

14. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Hawes would be the best fit but it might be hard to figure out a way to bring him in.

15. torocan

torocan Member

I see it more likely as Morey picking up an undrafted big like Patric Young or Klimenko then committing long term cap space to a mid-level guy.

All depending on how FA plays out of course.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Lebron/Melo/Love quest turns up empty then Rockets should keep/re-sign Parsons & stand pat with Lin unless they can bring in someone else who keep the train on its tracks should Harden get injured. Maybe time to bring over Llull and Papanikolaou or small trade with Minny for Shved & Dieng.

Hinkie loves D-Mo and Capela so trading either for picks/players is another option. Would love to have KJ McDaniels on the team somehow.

17. rockets06

rockets06 Member

From the list I'd like Birdman or Hawes. Also wondered what people's thoughts were on Jordan Hill or Andray Blatche? Both can play PF & C.

18. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Blatche is a great option if we miss out on Hawes.

19. Nook

Nook Member

This. Just need someone that can keep defenses honest and rebound for a dozen minutes a night.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

My goodness. I haven't seen Chuck that thin in a long time. He's easily twenty pounds heavier now. Loved that guy.