1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Rockets have moves to trade Lin and Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah, i was about to freak out. if we have to give up a lotto pick just to get Lin off our books ...wow, what a colossal mistake the Lin experiment was. This Pel pick is actually not much different than the Toronto pick. It would be a big part of a package to get an impact player.

no freaking way we give up that pick just to get Lin off our books (unless we are staring down the Bron barrel and there is no other takers). My hunch is that it could cost us next year's pick, i high 2nd rounder, or a couple of mid-2nd rounders, maybe one of our foreign player stashes, but no way we give up that Pels pick just to move Lin. NO FREAKING WAY!

you hear that LOFs? Your boy has negative value. you are hopelessly on the sack of a role player. i'm not hating, but if he's on our team come October i never want to see a "why isn't lin starting" thread ever again!

2. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

The cash we used for the pick was 2013-14 money. We get a new allowance of it on July 1st.

They expect a 2nd round pick back, after sending Lin, another asset (like Jones or a pick) and cash. They have to get something back in the trade or it isn't legal.

3. rocketsmetalspd

All signs point for Lin not to be on the team by or after July 1st. Lin needs to be moved in order to facilitate any signing of top FA. Lin will get his chance on another team and that is good for everyone.

4. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Likely a heavily protected 2nd rounder that we'll never be able to sniff.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I was about to jump all over this, but I think you are right. I'm expecting Lin, DMo, the rights to Capella, and cash for a protected 2nd rounder.

Capella isn't long for this team. After Woj tweeting that "several" teams have contacted the Rockets about his draft rights, and Morey was saying things like "he's the 3rd most athletic big in this draft", and "best upside of anyone outside the top 10".....he's getting traded.

6. ryebread

ryebread Member

Yea. ..so it sounds like you're hating...specifically calling out LOFs.

7. team5

team5 Member

This is blind hate... remember what is back loaded poison pill? If Lin is paid evenly for the first 2 years, the 3rd won't look as bad. Then it would be much easier to move Lin. It is not Lin's fault and his value is $15 mil moved or not.

8. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

At this point, I would say it is almost assured that it wouldn't happen until after July 1st. Probably not even until we get a commitment from a FA and can sign them, so probably post July 8th.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

^yea i dont think Lin gets dumped until we have some sort confidence that someone is going to sign here

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

11. rocketsmetalspd

Lin will be alright once he is dealt. No need to hang his head, he will do his best on his new team. I wish him the best!

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Considering he signed it, it's partially his fault. Can anyone rationally blame him for signing it? No.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think him going to a team where the expectations are not as high for a year or two would be good for him... The idea of him on the Bucks intrigues me for some reason.

I think at this point it is obviously better for both sides for Lin to move on.

14. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

interesting, even before reading this post, i went to the bucks board to check what kind of team they have right now . . . and oh, i see some delfino blogs there.

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL you're a fool, you wouldn't trade Lin/Asik for Melo?? Which is essentially what this now inaccurate report was saying.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Lin and Parker would work well. People have short memories, this team would've gotten swept without him.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Here's a question for the group:

If the Warriors were willing to take Jeremy Lin's contract on (absorbing it into the Richard Jefferson trade exception) for the price of the two best second rounders in the Rockets' cache, with the intent to flip the picks to Minnesota to complete a trade for Kevin Love, would you pull the trigger? (Let's assume that the Rockets maybe had a couple of alternative means of trading Lin but that the cost in assets would be steeper to do so.)

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I thought trading Lin was predicated on us having a deal done with Melo/LeBron. If that's the case, and there is absolutely no way we can deal Lin otherwise (unlikely) then of course we do it. I really can't see a scenario where Golden State is the best partner though. Helping them get Love would sting.

Alternatively, if we have no assurances of a big fish FA, then I absolutely don't accept that deal.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Re-read the question. The Rockets can trade Lin elsewhere, but it would require the Rockets to give away more assets in the process. Would you sacrifice additional assets in sending Lin elsewhere, just to keep Love out of Golden State?

20. Raven

Raven Member

You mean Love goes to GS? I don't believe (and this goes back to the vetoed trade with the Lakers) that you ever make a legit opponent better no matter how much it helps you. Dealing Asik to a rival was bad enough (but necessary), helping GS acquire a super star would be disastrous even if it helped us get Carmelo.