1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Houston Could Get Melo AND Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Jun 25, 2014.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I wouldn't agree with that assessment. You let him find the best offer he can. I don't think you have to worry about Parsons getting more than 12 million a year offer from ANY team. Only Rockets fans would think like that. He is not an Allstar...yet.

Plus, Morey is going to decline his option even if he has no plans to trade him, IF Morey thinks we get our 3rd star this year, so that we can go over the cap to sign Parsons without risking him to UFA next year. So we have to deal with whatever other teams will offer him NO MATTER WHAT.

Morey doesn't have to tell him we plan to decline you to resign you to trade you for Love, he just leaves the trade for Love part UNTIL and UNLESS we have a deal with Minny that they will accept. Then you go to Parsons.

Either way, if we are about to get a 3rd star, Morey will decline Parsons option and make him a RFA in the next week or less.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I guess that's where your definition of possible and my definition of possible differs. Possible to me is "It's possible that we end up with either Lebron, Carmelo, or Love" while your possible is "It's possible that we end up with Lebron AND Love while keeping Howard and Harden". Agree to disagree I guess.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's about as possible as Lebron, Zach Randolph, Kyle Lowry and Carmelo all agreeing to take veteran minimum contracts so they can all come here. It could technically happen, which doesn't mean it's really possible.

4. steddinotayto

There's still a lot of posturing and speculating here though. If you think it's possible that we end up with Love, LeBron, Howard and Harden then I think it's possible that Parsons can get a $12 million/year offer sheet.

If we're about to get a 3rd star then why would Morey decline Parsons' team option? You exercise his team option and keep him on the team for another year. Next summer, you have his bird rights and can offer him more money if they'd like.

5. FANfrom86toNow

Because this year, if you get your 3rd star, you make Parsons a RFA so that you can MATCH any offer sheet for him and don't RISK losing him. Next year, he will be an UFA, so he can go anywhere he wants and you have no rights to match him if he decides he wants to play somewhere else, and you lose him for NOTHING. That's the bigger risk, than worrying about someone offering him a contract that's too big in RFA this year.

6. FANfrom86toNow

While your scenario is requiring these players to take veteran minimums, what I said is POSSIBLE still gives Lebron, Love, Harden and Howard their Max contracts, and is still possible for us to do under the CBA with things falling right for us and getting some agreements.

That's a HUGE difference.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We might as well be playing with four players out there.
    Its possible, especially since I forgot about Parsons that we can S&T, but yikes...

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I hate this thread & I hate Chris Broussard.

9. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

So are the critics going to rag on his first two championships, 'cause he got them while playing in the garbage East?

No one's going to care about that, they're only gonna care about how many championships he ends up with.

10. steddinotayto

But if your assumption that no one is going to offer him more than $12 million this year as a RFA is true then why is the risk higher if he's unrestricted? Because he can go wherever he wants? It seems that he has a great relationship with everyone on the team and he's not going to leave for another team unless someone is stupid enough to give him a max deal (or is royally pissed that we trade his BFF Lin away).

Unless Parsons absolutely blows up next year we both can agree that there's a ceiling on what he can make, which is about $12 million speaking on generous terms.

11. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

He's won two titles so far against the West, just because he lost this time, who's to say he can't do it again?

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Sure except for that it requires Chandler Parsons to want to go to the T-Wolves, and for that to be the best offer the T-Wolves get from a team that Love is willing to go to, and assumes all your cap math is correct.

For us to be able to trade Parsons first we have to match some other team's offer sheet. That means a team that Parsons is willing to play for already gave him the offer he is looking for; it's not necessary for him to go to the T-Wolves to get it. So why does he agree to go to the T-Wolves after we match it again? How is that any more "possible" than expecting every free agent we want to sign for the vet minimum?

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

We rather have LOVE than Melo. Love fits this team better than Melo. Maybe, just maybe we can get Melo, Love instead of Lebron. You trade 1st round to MINNY plus Parson for LOVE. Then trade Lin to NY + Pelican's pick for Melo. Why did NY do this? Because they get nothing when Melo walks away. Why did MINNY do this?? They get Parson and 1st round.

14. FANfrom86toNow

You are actually supporting my point. The only DIFFERENCE between making him a RFA this year or leaving him an UFA next year, assuming we get our 3rd star this year, is that next year PARSONS will be in control of his destiny instead of Morey. I think Morey prefers control and not to leave his team at the desires of a player if can avoid doing it. While you would think Parsons would resign here next year, he would not be obligated to do so. This year if we make him a RFA, he has no choice if we match any offer sheet, which as you said will probably be no higher this year than it will be next year.

15. FANfrom86toNow

To answer your question, because it is about business and money. First, as has been stated many times on this forum, it is HIGHLY unlikely that Parsons will get an offer above $10 million this year as a RFA. it's possible, but also not likely. Therefore, we could potentially offer him more money up in a SnT deal. He doesn't have to sign an offer sheet, we can just make him an offer that he accepts. Let's say the best offer he gets starts offer at 9 million for 3 or 4 years, he doesn't have to sign it. We could then offer to SnT him starting at 11 million per year on a 4 year deal. Either way, he would be leaving the Rockets, so why not take the MOST MONEY? That's not remotely close to a scenario of asking a max player to accept a vet minimum.

Secondly, an offer of a resigned Parsons, TJones, the new pick from NO's, 2 more first round picks, maybe a couple of second round picks, and even Bev if it required it to close the deal...may not be the BEST package that Minny can get for Love, but it could be the BEST package that they could get for a team that he would commit to resign with. That could ultimately make it the best deal, but not guaranteed of course.

Just POSSIBLE.

16. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

No one was talking about that. Fan86 said it was unlikely but possible to formulate a deal that brings those 4 stars together WITHOUT having them take unrealistic paycuts. Sure a few things have to go right, but it actually isn't as far out in the realm of impossibility as one may initially think.

It's not him saying, oh it is possible because they can all take $1. Different arguments.

17. pwnyxpress

To remind people what Fan86 even initially said:

That's it. Rest of you guys are projecting.

18. pwnyxpress

Fan86, let's be honest here, we know what's happening. Most are trying to back track from initially mocking you -- fully understanding what you actually meant -- mostly because they forgot Parsons could be SnT'd due to us possibly declining his option. So instead we've morphed it into this absurdist, straw man argument and how "anything is possible" (when we know we're not talking about max players taking vet mins) or that it is rather unlikely (which you submitted initially anyways).

I won't lie -- I was all ready to type a post mocking your suggestion too, before I thought about it. My only cba question is, RFA's can be SnT'd still right?

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why is this idea getting so much traction? Not happening, folks.

20. FANfrom86toNow

Yes, thank you for this post. You said it for me eloquently.

And yes, RFA can be SnT after they sign another offer sheet if they agree to it. I think i have elaborated on what I think it would take to get Parsons to agree to it as well.