1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. jvu

jvu Member

Great player but do not want for character issues. LETS GET LOVE!

2. basketballholic

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What character issues, might I ask?

4. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Sure, but Parsons has shown a lot of promise on D (better than Melo), and he'll probably end up being around $10 mil cheaper than Melo, while averaging 4 less points scoring. Why overpay for another scorer when scoring is not a problem, why not get what you really need, a heavy D PF?

5. Nook

Nook Member

Character issues?
    I assume you don't want Love either then, as he is roundly disliked by his teammates.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree with the above poster. You were good up until right after the Parsons signing.

- You don't pay Parsons $10 million+ to come off the bench.
    - Morey doesn't think investing all of the MLE in one guy is a good idea.
    - You need someone besides Harden and Parsons to initiate the offense. Melo isn't that guy. Brooks certainly isn't.

Here's what I would suggest.

- Sign Kostas Panpanikolaou to a 4 year $6 million contract (MLE)
    - Sign Sergio Llull to a 4 year $15 million contract (MLE)
    - Trade Canaan for Brandon Haywood
    - Use BAE on Jason Smith

Beverley / Llull
    Harden / Daniels
    Parsons / Papanikolaou
    Melo / Smith
    Howard / Haywood

7. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

IMO, I think the notion of a one on one lockdown defender is mostly myth or very rare. Great D is essentially a team coordinating, and smart players know how to play help D with their teammates, knowing where or how the opposing team's offensive set is developing.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Parson's promise on D disappeared after his rookie year and continues to decline

Parsons' ability to create offense is a couple level below melo's

that said I don't want Melo either

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

So you are okay with getting Melo then if we get a couple of defensive oriented coaches

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be okay with getting Melo if we couldn't get anyone better. He'd certainly be a consolation prize if we completely strike out this off-season on all of the good players.

11. rullrich

rullrich Member

Why are we trying to compare how our team currently operates as a situation where we would just be plugging Melo into the current system. The system changed when we added Harden, then again when we added Dwight - it would change again when we add Melo.

Both Harden and Melo are great spot up shooters who drive to the basket and consistently draw double teams. Difference being Melo has a post game he can add to it. One of them will consistently be open/mismatched.

Watch some of the videos about Melo's assists (I know it sounds ridiculous but they exist) - he throws lobs to Tyson Chandler all the time and consistently hits Felton for the corner 3. Add better players (Howard + Bev) to that equation with a backcourt star to take pressure off his scoring and we're talking a dangerous team. If Parsons can regain the defensive form he had as a rookie after getting paid and not trying to put up stats working to get that payday - who could stop us?

12. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

I'm with you on that, because I think Parsons is concentrating on scoring more to increase his next contract value. Admittedly, I could be wrong, maybe he's just regressed or the league has caught up with him.

Still, he's still better than Melo on D and he definitely tries harder. And he still averages 16+ ppg, 4 ppg below Melo. That's not a couple levels below.

Better defender, and probably $10 mil cheaper.

13. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I disagree with trading Canaan for Haywood. What you need around stars that demand double teams is....shooting!!!! Can't get enough of it. Plus...Haywood is a has been.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Remember, Kevin Love is from the Love family, and being that Mike Love (his uncle, right?) is probably the biggest ******* in rock and roll history, it doesn't surprise me that he rubbed off on Kevin a bit.

15. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

No, Melo is a no go for me, period, regardless of coaching staff. He's about to turn 30, I seriously doubt anyone's going to teach him D at this point.

I think they need to get rid of McHale and find a serious defender at PF.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You do know Lull isn't a point guard right? He's a combo guard that doesn't have great vision.

Whole whole proposal stinks. Haywood? He's been garbage since two years ago. I'd rather make a run at Okafor.

We have Covington anyways

#456 REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  17. Raven

Raven Member

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Embedded

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

The race to dump salary. Whoever blinks first misses out. Hurry up on squeezing down Lin to another team

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Doubt it. Melo and everyone else will wait for LeBron to make his decision. If Melo chooses us over Chicago, he's not gonna sign with Chicago just because they clear the cap space first.