1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bosh Opts Out, Should He Be Our #1 Priority?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Jun 16, 2014.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

No! Bosh is greatly overrated, and he always looks down the Rockets!

2. valorita

valorita Member

Say no to rupaul

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I guess I really wasn't clear in my posts. I think that we should really push for Bosh because he is the best fit for this team. I listed my reason why Bosh would be a good fit.

If LeBron James wants to come here, then by all means, get him here. Trade anybody and everybody. Rename Toyota Center to Kingdom James. Anything he wants he gets. And to a lesser extent, if Love wants to come here, I would be willing to trade anyone except Harden and Howard for his services.

But I just don't see those two coming here. There is a small chance LeBron comes here, but it's so small that it's not even plausible. Unless he thinks Houston can carry him in the regular season so he can cruise and be ready for the playoffs, then he isn't coming here. The Rockets already think they won't have enough for a Love Trade. When other teams like the Celtics can offer the 6th overall pick, expiring deals and solid players, we just don't have the right trade assets. The only way Love comes here this offseason is if Houston is the only place he wants to play and thus other teams won't even try to trade for him knowing he would run to Houston anyway.

Past LeBron and Love to a lesser extent, Bosh is the most realistic option. But I can argue why I rather have Bosh instead of Love (touches and defense being the main reasons) I guess my argument should have been that we should target Bosh instead of Melo. I would love to have Melo here. But Bosh makes more sense.

For me, the biggest worry I have about the team if we got Melo would be our big man rotation. The West is full of good to elite big men, particularly power forwards. Omer will be gone and I don't think Jones and Dmo are ready to play against the big boys like LMA, Griffin, Randolph, Ibaka. They were constantly abused by David Lee! With Bosh, our big man rotation is solid because Bosh can play the back up center position. We have combinations of Howard/Bosh, Howard/Jones and Bosh/Jones.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The dude is soft as hell. Couldn't even average 10 rebounds a game on a weak ass Miami front court. I seriously hope we dont get this guy.

5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

We dont need the best player at each position. Bosh is a better fit for this team than Carmelo.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't think he has been overpaid, at least not terribly overpaid. He did make 19 million last year, which is a lot to pay the consensus 3rd option. Overpaid are players like Amarè Stoudemire (21MM), Joe Johnson (21MM) and Pau Gasol (19MM). And can you really say a player is overpaid when the team he is on has been to 4 straight finals, winning 2 of them. He might not put the numbers you expect from a contract like his but as a third option those are good numbers.

I like that Bosh has been the 3rd option and accepts that position. That way, he can almost step right in to the line up without too many problems. If we get Lebron, Melo or Love there needs to be a shift in options. All three of those guys have been 1st options their whole career and it will take some time to adjust with Harden and Howard. Just like it took time for Harden to adjust when Howard came last year.

I think everyone is under rating Bosh. There is no denying that Bosh is the third best player on the Heat, probably the second best now with Wade looking done. But over the past 4 season, he has been their second most important player. LeBron and Wade's games are too similar that Bosh's game really helped the team work more fluently. The Heat struggled in the playoffs both times in 2012 and 2013 when Bosh was injured but once he came back, they got to the finals.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I suspect only Lebron would consider opting out, wade and Bosh will want that money.

DD

8. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

And who exactly plays pick & pop on our team? (Lin doesn't count because he's getting traded and Harden doesn't want to).

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I have to disagree here, I think the only one who would not consider opting out is DWade. Both Lebron/Bosh have great value to other teams, whereas Wade knows that the league has figured out that his body is giving out on him. If Lebron opts out I'm pretty sure Bosh will as well.

#49 BamBam, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

By no means should we go after him.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

That's a pretty mean starting 5, but why are they mostly all bigs?

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The guy is damn soft. Heck he doesn't even get that many boards any longer. Rather trade for Millsap

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know people say Bosh is soft, but I think that is similar to the Yao Ming is soft analysis that used to happen around the league.

Bosh plays strong defense and attacks the rim very well when he's allowed to. Rebounding isn't about being tough/soft, it's about technique and desire.

But no, he's not a number 1 priority unless he indicates to you that he is willing to sign for less than the supermax and wants to do it asap so you are forced to make a decision.

I'd definitely prefer Lebron (obviously) but I'd also gamble on the potential of the Melo lineup over Bosh.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I believe he was putting the players in order of how good they are for our team (fit wise).. not saying that is a starting lineup. This isnt baseball, caps exist.

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Yay the Finals are over. Draft day season!

Melo is Melo. He'll decide WITH LaLa. He'll go to a team with his brothers or where his brothers are. As we have read, the Zen is already in play. But, sometimes the big lights dim down.

We're really trying to find the one on Match.com, but sometimes things are flipped and you get oh so close to finding that compatible one. Sometimes you have to go by the Script. We'll see....

There are plenty of fish in the sea, though some aren't as appealing as others when you first look at them. An expensive jewel eventually loses its value, but the right situation makes it much more valuable than it appears. Sometimes you need a little Houston sunshine to escape stat sheets and the place you hyde in. Morey is non-discriminatory about everything as a good GM. All religions are welcome.

If all else fails, I'm sure Morey will find a draft pick and choose wisely. Draft night can be bitter cold when you're looking to strike gold with your team. But, Morey has a great working relationship with guys that have won executive of the year previously.

Love ya'll. Cryptic out of respect, but this one is easy. When I get to talk to my "friends", I get inspired about our Rockets. Love this team!

Flame away.

-Cod

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love Bosh as a player and have for years - he can fit with anybody, but he's 30, going to be on his last deal, and doesn't appear too motivated as of late.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And I have to respectfully disagree with you.

The way I see it, Bosh has the most to gain by opting out, and securing his final max or near max long term contract. DWade probably couldn't get a long term deal, and Lebron will still be able to get on in a couple years. The time for Bosh to move or get moved is probably now.

I personally think that Riley will go to Bosh and tell him that if he decides to opt in, they most likely will have to look to trade him in the near future for pieces to refresh around Lebron. However, if he wants to opt out, they will work with him to get a S&T deal.

The point though, is that everything hinges on Lebron. I think Lebron will end up choosing to stay, and trusting Pat Riley to rebuild around him. I think the narrative of him leaving a dynasty will be too much for Lebron to choose that path. I think Bosh ends up being the key piece to their rebuild.

Wade is basically going to get his legacy pay. I think he's given the choice to opt in for the remaining two years, or he can opt out, and take a equal value but spread over longer years (almost like a stretch provision without having to cut the player) and DWade probably doesn't accept. However, if he does do something like that for Riley and Lebron... watch out for a quick roster refresh from Miami.

18. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

One Thing about Bosh is that he is the most reasonable sign and trade option. Asik and Lin actually makes sense for Miami.

19. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Useful piece, but is he worth max? I don't think so.

20. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I don't think I would go after Bosh, but it depends on the money. I would rather holdout till 2015 Free agency:

Kevin Love
    Paul Millsap
    Rajon Rondo
    Jeff Green
    Goran Dragic
    LaMarcus Aldridge