1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would The Rockets have won the title with Pops as their coach this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jun 16, 2014.

1. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Thoughts.....

1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Which Rockets? I definitely would have loved to see what he would have done with Hakeem during his twilight years. We had alot of what the Spurs had. Sam would have taken a parker role. Instead we got an owner named les who is constantly chasing big names that has led us to nothing since his tenure as owner. Les is a dumb mother F**kar.

4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

We need a speculation Sub-Sub-Forum

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not a chance.

6. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

I'd say yes. Now, maybe not Pops for one year but if we had Pops last year AND this year, I'd say we very likely could have won the title. That guy knows how to make his guys play defense, buy into the team first mantra, and find those role guys that can step up at the right time. Coached by Pops, I see Lin as being used more efficiently and NOT left in the game during crunch time, Harden forced to play a LITTLE defense, Troy Daniels as his Danny Green, and general improvement across the board.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If the ball got sticky someone would be stuck to the bench.

8. bmd

bmd Member

No.

The Spurs are good not only because they are talented, but their players have a certain way about them. They are mature and put their head down and go to work. They are smart, unselfish players who play for the team. They just do their job no matter what. That makes them mentally tough.

They epitomize the types of players coaches love. The Rockets aren't mature enough or responsible enough to do everything it takes to win.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If he had 3 years with this core maybe. But no, not during Howard's very first stint. And I still think this Rockets team had the potential to shock the Spurs in a series this year.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We could have beaten San Antonio, who knows with OKC, they had Ibaka out for 2 games (but then the butterfly effect is against us and he probably wouldn't have been injured :p), I think all the west playoff teams would have beaten them without Ibaka, and Miami? they seemed spent.

It was probably as good a year as any, which is usually when the Spurs win it. Dynasty on its knees? Call the Spurs, Chicago? yep Spurs, Lakers? Spurs again, Miami running out of gas? Here come the Spurs! They've made being the 2nd best team long enough for the best team to **** itself into a fine art.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Would the Rockets have won the title if Lillard misses that shot?

Just like this question; who the **** knows!?!

1 person likes this.
  12. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I don't think they would have won if it was their first year together, but I think this core group of players could definitely win a title under pop.

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

That's all because of the coach. I have yet to see Mchale challenge Harden the way Pop challenges Tony Parker. Basically, Mchale sucks as a coach. Pop made more adjustments in the Finals than Mchale did all year. But then again, Daryl Morey is the real coach of this team who tells Mchale what to do

With that said, we get to the finals with Pop coaching

14. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Would have beat Portland

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Who knows.

But Harden would be a much more complete player under Pop, as with probably many other Rockets.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

blah blah Pops, blah blah McHale, blah blah blah.
    What difference does it make?

Is there really a need to whip the bandwagon up against our coach any more than it is?

People might think he would have made the difference, but a great deal of why we didn't win was not on the coach, it was on the players, so I say no. But again, what difference does it make.

17. BinBinRingRing

No those chemistries take years to develop. The Rockets havent had a steady line up in a long time.

18. HayesDPOY

HayesDPOY Member

With Pop as the coach, Harden would not be in the team or would be on the bench forever. Pop's team does not allow a player playing iso ball and zero defense.

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Pops would have traded anyone who wasn't willing to give 100%. So if Harden would either be playing defense or he would be gone. None of thiscompromising crap. He's still in his early 20's. Pop also would have been great for Yao as well. What could have been...

20. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Would the Rockets have won with a prime Dream in their lineup?

Would the Rockets have won if Yao somehow reinforced his legs with Admantium and came out of retirement to play for the Rockets?

Would the Rockets have won if McHale and Popovich were both peeing in the same pond and pondered "I wish I had your life..." and created some silly family comedy of the "Freaky Friday" situation?

These are the questions that have to be answered folks.