1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Are you rooting for the Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htwnbandit, Jun 1, 2014.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm just rooting for great basketball and so far the spurs have provided that. IF i had to pick a team to win, I'd pick the spurs because of the way they play, but man sometimes Lebron gets on a tear all by himself and that's amazing to watch as well. There is a lot to be learned by watching the two top teams play.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He shot 8 percentage points below his average, but that is just one aspect to the game. He was carrying us out there and gave us a chance to win every game except game 2.

It is, usually a player's shooting percentage drops off in the playoffs however. Harden's was a bit more than the others, but not by much.

Back on topic: the Spurs played pretty much a perfect game here. While it was perplexing to see LeBron not engaged in the game at all, even if he were more aggressive I don't think the Heat would have won. The Spurs just played that well.

3. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Lol. thx I needed a laugh.

The Spurs are getting it done in a very competitive Western Conference. I think Dallas had a shot at repeating if they maintained that team with Chandler locking down the paint. (granted there may not have been Linsanity if he didn't leave Dallas).

This speaks volumes to the way current NBA teams are being run. Players are all becoming journeymen (to find that super friends team) and mgmt turning players into assets. I would like for once to associate a player to one team.

Yes I'm talking about Lebron but I'm also talking about management (which played a factor in Lebron leaving Cleveland in the first place).

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not have a problem with a rejuvinated Spurs or Mavs team.

That is why OKC is so attractive to younger fans. They are Finals material with their stars growing up in front of our eyes.

Lebron going to Miami had a lot to do with old teams such as the Celtics, the late Lakers, and the Spurs.

No problem again with one star staying at one ballclub his entire career but it is not fair to the entire NBA that they have the best roleplayers and the best coach much like it is not fair that Miami has the best Superfriends.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

I hate the Spurs

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets the last few years flop WAY more than this SA team. Every team flops now and then. The Spurs play beautiful basketball. Its a shame you can't appreciate it.

7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

LOL yea, the spurs don't even flop anymore, just people's perception of the team from years ago, just like when they say the Spurs are slow and boring. can't be farther from the truth

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I root for them to rebuild for years :grin:

I eat some crow but they should start winning with younger players if they want to prove that everyone can win within their 'perfect system'.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't think they really give a damn or have anything to prove.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No. they don't because it is like forever they have the same big three.

Change is inevitable. Even if it means that they are going to play another 3 years.

I gladly watch them winning while rebuilding. Not really ;)

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Look OKC really had some injury issues these two seasons, with Westbrook out, Ibaka injured.

I think they can put up a fight and go to 7 games if healthy. Or beat San Antonio.
    It is really close.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Injuries are part of the game. OKC two years ago had practically zero injuries, which was more of a fluke than what they've gone through the last few years.

Also, the Spurs make a season-long effort to manage their players minutes to reduce risk of injury, and they still managed to have the best record in the league.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Spurs have been very fortunate though over the last quarter century since Robinson joined the team. Aside from 1996-97 when they were riddled with injuries(and even that had a silver lining since it landed them Duncan), has there ever been a devastating season-ending(or at least altering) injury that they've suffered? The only one that comes to mind is in 2000 when Duncan got hurt and the Suns beat them in Round 1. Other than that, they've had guys miss time or play banged up, but nothing on the level of what other NBA teams have gone through. Especially the Rockets. Good God, were we cursed in 2005-2009.

14. sew

sew Member

You can call it lucky, but I prefer to give credit to Pop and the way he manages his stars minutes.