1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Melo will consider Rockets, Bulls and Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jun 11, 2014.

1. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

This is not accurate. Lebron would make the endorsement whether he takes the same salary or less. So he doesn't "make up" the lost salary through endorsement, except for an incremental change that directly results from Melo being on the team (which makes some change but not significant for a player like lebron who already has tons of endorsement).

Wade and Bosh would just lose the salary. Wade bc he's ok the downside and would not get the max anymore; Bosh bc he doesn't get national endorsements really.

So the pain is real. Giving up $10m in year one means giving up about $60 million over 5 years.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

No doubt

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You've watched Miami play and you think he plays the 4 for them?

4. jman7373

jman7373 Member

What is the date we can start making trades again to clear cap space?

5. Remii

Remii Member

What point are you trying to make...? Just the same he makes A LOT more money off of endorsements than he does playing basketball. He made over $50 million in endorsements last year and looks to do the same this year. So if he took less so Melo could play with him, he would make up for it in endorsements... Basketball money is chump change to him.

Yes. I've watched Bosh play with Miami and that's why I think if they did get Melo they would ship off Bosh. LeBron, Melo, Bosh _ that front court would be weak as hell defensively.

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

Now is not the time to get cute. If you have a chance to get a star, you go ahead and do it.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There are actually people here that don't want to add a 3rd Top 15 player. Makes me laugh at the days when we tried to convince ourselves Kevin Martin was star-bound.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

My point is this. If Lebron currently makes $50m in endorsements and $20m in salary (total $70m), asking him to take $10m the first year means he is going to now make $50m in endorsements and $10m in salary, assuming he's already locked into his endorsements. So he loses $10m the first year because he could have made $70m instead of $60m (given who he is he would make the endorsements anyway for the most part). In year 2, he loses close to $11m factoring I salary escalators. In year 3 he loses $12m and so on. Over $5 years he loses somewhere between $55-60m as a back of the envelope calculation. That's a lot of money for anyone. Yes, he can bear the loss better than anyone else. However, it's not like he will give up $10m and make an EXTRA $10m in endorsement.

The effect is magnified for bosh and wade, who do not make anywhere near the endorsement money Lebron makes. In the si/Forbes endorsement feature from the past several years bosh doesn't show up anywhere, so he probably makes at most $1-3m in endorsement a year. On a handful or players in every sport makes more than $10m a year. And this will be the last contract for wade and bosh (I could see wade sacrificing by no one is giving a max contract to him anymore). Also Melos sacrifice is enormous - we're talking to $60-70m here for his last big payday. That's a 50% hit.

I'm not saying Lebron won't sacrifice. He has in the past. But this is a 3-5 times the amount sacrifice when he already has his rings. I just seriously doubt all 4 would sacrifice, plus Haslem too. If they do, I'll actually admire them for really putting winning first and I would be excited to watch that team play against history.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

NBA2k14 predicts we lose in the 1st round to the Clippers in 5 as only a 6th seed WITH Melo. DO NOT WANT! Clearly Lin means more to this team than any other player!!!1

10. basketballholic

The sacrifice will be one or all of them taking less money for ONE SEASON while Miami signs someone or someones else.

11. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

There is a lot of awful in here.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Who said LeBron would sign a 5 year contract...? Mr B-Holic might have an opinion on that.

And it's safe to assume LeBron can make up for the lost money off the court because he isn't just a business man, he's a business _ man... He may even get a lil change from Johnny Football too. He has a lot more going on than just endorsements and he's in a position he could sacrifice $10 million to make a run at a chip. Wade may make the sacrifice as well.

But were we really differ is I still believe if Melo decides to go to Miami, Bosh is on his way out the door. I'm not buying Pat Riley would keep him. May would be a good opportunity for Morey to get involved if he still wants Bosh.

13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

You may be right I saw your second scenario (I was assuming the first scenario of $12m each). I don think the nba will let Miami get away with the wade option. They're watching Miami carefully. If wade takes the minimum they'll probably prevent him from a max the following year. Too much smoke to assume there isn't an under the table deal. I'm sure wades team will know that is a real risk on top of the risk that arison decides not to give a max after the minimum year because wade cell apart during the minimum year.

I think the Miami dream will not work out. Too many variables. If they pull it off I'll tip my cap to them. And watch.

14. chandlerbang21

Athletes are highly overpaid for playing a game

15. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree he's business. And that'll he'll make enough money to offset a sacrifice. He might even do it. I don't think the other 4 (wade Melo bosh haslem) will. I would be delighted if Riley sent bosh out the door. Houston would jump all over that opportunity. Bosh would be a great fit in houston - almost ideal 4 next to Dwight who can slide to 5 and shoot 3s and has played 3rd banana? I'm all for that and will keep my fingers crossed.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, I don't care about Miami but if Melo choses to go there maybe Morey can sneak in and nab Bosh. They may would rather have Asik at their center position than Bosh. And if he decides to go to Chicago _ maybe Morey can try to get Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler or Tony Snell. I'm not well versed in the cap and contract amounts of these players so I don't know how it would work but that's what Morey gets paid to figure out.

17. Relentless

Relentless Member

With FA beginning July 1st, I would have to guess around that time

18. Relentless

Relentless Member

It's entertainment

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, they are not. Not the likes of Lebron, especially. Look at how much revenue teams generate based largely on the skills of their players. Look at what teams are selling for nowadays while paying players the money they currently get paid.

The teams are largely run by experienced and highly successful business people and willingly pay the players millions to play for their teams. And for the likes of Lebron, they would be paid much more if not for the existence of individual max salaries and the rules under the CBA.

In now way are players in general overpaid.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I think the point is that too much money is generated for playing a game, from everyone involved.

Could you imagine getting paid 20 million just because people like watching you do your job?