1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Huffingpost 22 min Jeremy Lin Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by imaginedragons, Jun 11, 2014.

1. imaginedragons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5TsFMmnwQU

Some notes:

The guy seemed really emotional talking about the Knicks not matching the RFA offer back then.

Also really interesting the way he answered the question about Mchale's system in Houston

good that Rex Ryan didn't patronize or pander to Lin and really told him frankly how he believed Lin is not superstar material.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He doesn't sound like he's planning on staying in Houston.

Good interview though once they got past his Knicks stuff.

3. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Trade our #7 for their #7. A win win situation for both sides. ;)

4. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

trade him and asik to lakers for salary dump

5. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Kobe, Pau, Nash, Nick Young, Linsanity and Asik...wow, not a bad team there.

6. bamfbamf

bamfbamf Member

FUNNIEST THING FROM THE INTERVEW:

Jeremy said that McHale/Rockets run a similar offensive system as the Spurs...

BWOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

7. bamfbamf

bamfbamf Member

At the 15:50 mark...

"And what we're trying to do in Houston, isn't that far off offensively, from the stand point, than what you see in San Antonio"

BWOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

Well in the sense that the goal is to score points, it is very similar.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's 100% right and 100% wrong.

We scored 73 against the Thunder in the 1st half. The Spurs scored 71 in the 1st half last night against the Heat. Can't get much better offensively.

We scored 19 against the Thunder in the 2nd half. Can't get any worse offensively.

10. houtown

houtown Member

The Knicks are the best franchise you can play for, especially when managed properly. I don't see Melo going anywhere, especially with Phil at the helm.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I believe him in that what we're trying to do is very similar. The inability to show the players how to get to that point and execute properly is different from the goal. And still means bad coaching and bad playing

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's true though. The players don't execute because this is a low basketball IQ roster.

13. houtown

houtown Member

The question is whether the Rockets should play like the Spurs or have their own individual system that accommodates their roster, rather that derive it from another team. What works for one team doesn't always work for another in my opinion. I think there has to be flexibility based on the roster. I like the triangle offense and think it would work wonders with the Rockets, but understand there are very few people who could teach it efficiently. But i see the resemblance and how it could work.

14. imaginedragons

But if a guy as smart as Lin has trouble expressing what that system is, save for saying it has some similarities with the Spurs', it leads you to wonder if he was just being defensive and nice to Mchale. Because he totally stumbled his reply by trying convince people that they do have a system but just didn't execute

15. anchel

anchel Member

Just wow. If Jeremy truly believes that, his basket IQ is much worse than I thought. Like really really low.

16. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

If you want to talk about low IQ, then maybe you should start with people who don't understand the difference between "trying" and "doing".

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The Spurs run more dribble hand-offs than us, but the opening plays in their sets aren't that different from what we run (when we aren't isolation Howard on the left block). They're primarily a pick and roll offense. The difference is in the secondary actions when the first option doesn't yield an open look. That patience developed over time, years in fact.

18. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

Every team in this league is trying their hardest to replicate what the spurs have because its the ultimate example of what winning through teamwork is , I mean what team wouldn't want to be successful for more than 10 years?

But I guess he said "trying" because they might try to run a system but there are still aspects that they couldn't worked out. What these 2 teams differs is not the amount of talent but the mentality of its players, and oh, a person who can reenforce this system in a way that can gather real respect from its superstars, and make the lesser guys want to follow him.

19. highlander3128

You will be hated for being honest.

20. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I think it was Jeremy refusing to throw anyone/anything under the bus..... Remember, Lin as of right now still answers to McHale and the Rockets..... And there is a chance he'll remain a Rocket next season.