1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the Rockets need from the coach, the offense, the players, etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swilkins, Jun 2, 2003.

1. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Rockets... Offense... Hello???

Before you read this, please understand that I am not a glass is half-empty guy. This team has talent, but has very bad habits. If the Rox make it to the play-offs next year, I will be extremely impressed.

Back to the topic---

OK - It's inevitable that we will get a new coach.

Les better put his odds on an offensive minded coach.

Who is the best offensive minded coach???

Are there any available? If not, who would the players listen to and respect the most.

The Rox need an offensive system and not this random spot up and shoot crap. That has been the achilles heel for 3 years.

Here's one more point:

Look at the games where the Rox scored more than 100 points. Do you really see a trend? No
    - 1 night it's Rice, enother Stevie, another Mobley, and Posey, and it goes on and on and on...

This team will not improve until the players can believe in the coach and his system. When they veer off - The coach needs to reel them in. This is not going to happen over night.

No players coach - Dunleavy
    No defensive coach - Gundy

We need an intelligent respectible coach that will control this team.

So back to my question...

Who fits this mold???

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Don't see why this needed a new topic...there's like 50 other threads.

3. SLA

SLA Member

Rick Carlisle.

But Rockets aren't interviewing him.

Eddie Jordan....assistant for Byron Scott......they ain't interviewing him.

They want "big names" with "experience".

4. swilkins

True, but...

I wanted to focus on what's good for the offense.

I have read most of the other threads and thought it would be nice to talk about what has been the biggest impact on Western Conference teams - Offense

This does not need to be limited to the coach (although that is where it's going to start.

What can we do to make this offense better?

Sorry that the thread seems redundant. It really wasn't the intent.

5. man532

man532 Member

Description of the Perfect Rocket Coach

1. Create an offensive philosophy that moves the basketball and significantly reduces the one-on-one that we are know for.

2. Find a defensive scheme that works on pick and rolls. San Antonio seemed to figure this out against Dallas, with Tim Duncan rolling ball side, which required Dallas to pass weak side and take contested 3's.

3. Do not try to use Yao similar to Dream, realize the difference. Create an offense that utilitizes his talents. High Pick and Roll, Cut/Slice (Stockton & Malone), can SF and/or CM set a pick? A very rare occurrence.

4. Will plant SF and CM on the pine for extend periods due to inept play (i.e., dribbling the shot clock down to zero and bad shots). I would have included Moochie, however he doesn't play enough to matter.

5. Motivates MoTaylor to rebound on both ends and play some form of D. A poor man's PJ Brown

6. Send EG to big man's camp quick, a 6'10" shot blocker shooting 3's is wack to say the least.

7. A coach that isn't worried about ego's, but understands that respect is important.

My PIPE DREAM. Obtain 20 minutes of consistency from Cato. Ok 15 minutes, 10 minutes, forget it. Can we trade for PJ Brown?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Merged swilkins' thread into man352's thread...
    Changed title to encompass any and everything regarding what we need.

7. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

A creative, Yao-centric offensive system is all we need. Everyone but Yao and Stevie is expendable or worse, and if Stevie doesn't get with the program we can trade him for an excellent player who will.

All we need from the coaches is creativity and a great mind for the game. The motivational stuff is less important because Yao doesn't require it, and no one else on the team is untouchable.

#7 ktheintz, Jun 2, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  8. Stylez

Stylez Member

Swilkins, I agree w/ most of what you are saying but you gotta come up w/ a name before easily dismissing JVG and Dunleavy. Jordan is the "hot" assistant but I don't know enough about him or his philosophies. I need a name!

9. swilkins

I'm really dissing JVG, because he is defense oriented, greedy, Quitter, and not as experienced as Dunleavy.

His stock would have been higher, but he walked and I don't need to see that ****.

Since it has come down to 2 choices, I will pull for Dunleavy.

I've heard the nightmares with Carlisle, so he can join JVG in the Kindergarten playground where they can whine, bite and cry as much as they like.

What about Mo Cheeks? I really don't know much about him.

:confused:

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jerry Sloan knows something about that pick and roll thing.

11. Genuine

Genuine Member

Can someone give me the down low on Eddie Jordan? Iv heard that hes the real coach in NJ. Anyone know about him and his style?

12. swilkins

I think this delay is a bunch of crap.

What does it say about a general manager that sits and sits until other teams grab these guys from underneath us.

Of course this would be a different issue, if they didn't close the door on any other prospects. We'll see how that pans out.

What about Head coach JVG (Defense) and Assistant Coach Dunleavy (Offense). Sounds disruptive, but thought I'd add fuel to the fire.

Oh and then we have this salary thing...

If the Rox don't screw it up, it should be Dunleavy. I can't seem to find a reason that the Rockets would go with a Defensive minded coach when we are struggling on the offense side of the ball.

Wake up CD, your the GM!!! It's not like you have too many options here.

13. man532

man532 Member

We would have never gotten Larry Brown, that deal was done before he left Philly. Too quick and too clean.

LeBron definitely lobbied for Paul Silas and this gives Paul much more time than the Rockets job would have.