1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Contact Carlisle???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to 610, the Rockets MAY have contacted Carlisle about the coaching opening. They said they have no confirmation yet.

2. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Great news Jeff, thanks for passing it along. For all of us not living in Houston, can you tell us if they get confirmation when it happens? I would greatly appreciate it, as I am sure other out of towners would as well.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

...I think I'll announce my candidacy for the Rockets head coaching vacancy. I have been a loyal Rockets fan for over 10 years, I am very knowlegable in Rockets history, and I vow to only give Moochie 3 minutes of playing time per game.

Do I get the job??

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Would you hire me to be your assistant coach?

5. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

If RocketForever gets to be aa assistant,I want to be the Power Dancers personal trainer! :D :D

ALA

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I can be the Assistant to the Travelling Secretary

7. man532

man532 Member

I could give you the same as Larry Smith (nothing).

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Awesome news Jeff. Carlisle would be at the top of my list. He would kick-ass as the Rockets coach. I hope he is showing a lot of interest in the job.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm sure they get confirmation from sources within the team.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Rick Carlisle has definitely proven that he belongs in the league. My only concern here is how his lack of people skills will hurt the team. He does get the most out of his players though, which could go a long way with our talented squad. If he just gets either Posey, Mo T, or Griffin to have a breakout year, this team can be unstoppable.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

So you're keeping him?

NEXT!

.......but seriously, this could make my day.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff- Sweet. Very refreshing to hear.

Baqui- Everything I've heard says his players LOVE him. It's the guys in the organization that aren't players that don't like him. I read a John Feinstein (I think that's the name) on the coaching vacancies today. He thinks Washington should go for Carlisle and that Stackhouse would "fly the plane to pick Carlisle up himself" in order to be under the coaching of him again. Billups said good things about the guy as well.

If he could get Eddie to play with a pint of the intensity that Ben Wallace did....wow.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What the hecks the difference between Van Gundy and Carlisle? Both about 42 years old, both been to the Finals, both have had strong defensive teams, both get kudos from former players....

Oh yeah...I almost forgot...Carlisle only made $2m with the Pistons...

14. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is very very good news.

He is the best coach available. He is also the best fit for a young team in search of an identity.

He takes less talent and accomplishes more than almost anyone in the league.

He will mold the team and maximize the players' strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

He will give no quarter and expend as much time and energy as it takes to win.

He will stomp a mudhole in Moochie Norris and Eddie Griffin.

He is our guy.

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Although I prefer Carlisle to JVG, I see your point. My reason for being ecstatic about this is that it's contrary to the growing perception that CD was being arch-conservative about this whole thing, too smug and safety conscious to make the kind of bold move Dumars pulled off. Maybe this opens the door for an even better condidate, like a Doc Rivers? Who knows...I'm just happy that we appear to be getting our tires moving in the mud...

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I hope this is true. It upset me that that they supposedly hadn't been interested. Not that I think we'll hire him, Carlisle would probably give CD a stroke inside a year, but it make me feel better about this process.

17. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

I know it's Football but Tampa Bay Bucs didn't stop until they got, in their minds, the right guy. Look at the results. I like Carlisle and I hope the Rocket Management does too!!!

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You think Doc Rivers is a better candidate...?

Personally, I think Carlisle has much better potential than Van Gundy at being a good offensive coach, as well. The schemes he runs in Detroit aren't that bad - good cutting and movement - he just doesn't have the players. But he gets Rip Hamilton his 20 poitns a game - if Billups showed up offensively every game in the playoffs, I'd argue you'd be seeing the Pistons in the Finals.

It's been a while since Van Gundy coached, but I don't remember anything specific about his offensive schemes, if any.

19. CrazyJoeDavola

Carlisle would be a nice choice. I am only concerned about a few things:

1) His gruffness with the players and front office

2) His experience working with big men (did he work with Smits in Indiana?)

3) His experience working a dominant point guard

20. SLA

SLA Member

Yo! Gotta change my signature!!!!!!!

1. Rick Carlisle
    2. Jeff Van Gundy
    3. Mike Dunleavy

I am Carlisle's biggest supporter!!

PEOPLE SKILLS?!? I'm sure he can change and take some social classes. :D

Just hire a bunch of good assistants!

Well hmm.....not confirmed yet.

The Clippers want him too.